inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Depeche Mode albums

Written By: MarcDaShark on 09/21/05 at 12:11 pm

Hey everybody,

Lately, I've been thinking of buying a Depeche Mode album but have not been sure of which one to get.  So this brings up he question, what is your favorite Depeche Mode album?  Any recommendations?

Subject: Re: Depeche Mode albums

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/22/05 at 9:19 pm

I'm SO glad you started this one up! Gottem on my avitar. :)

Speak and Spell is their first one from '81. If you like pure New Wave sounds then this one is the one.(Good Track: "I Sometimes wish I was Dead"(not as bad as the title suggests,its ironic), and "Just Can't Get Enough".)

Black Celebration is their '86 album. it has a more industrial pop sound to it.(Good Tracks: "New Dress" and "But Not Tonight".)

Music For The Masses,'87, is one of their VERY best next to Speak and Spell and BC. A lot of the songs on their movie "101" .(Good Tracks: "Nothing" and "Strange Love")

Then we got People Are People from '84: This one is really good stuff.(Good Tracks: "Now,This Is Fun" and "Leave In Silence")

Hope this helps. Sorry if i got in too into it! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/05 at 9:24 pm

The 1984 album 'People Are People' was their official introduction to the US market, but a good one to get would probably be their 1985 album 'The Singles 81-85'.  Here in North America, it was simply titled 'Catching Up With Depeche Mode' for obvious reasons.  LOL

My personal favourite DM album was A Broken Frame from 1982 :)

Written By: _adam_ on 09/24/05 at 2:40 pm

Depeche Mode singles-1981-1985(Catching up with depeche mode).

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/24/05 at 3:45 pm

My personal favorite is Music For The Masses, which IMO doesn't feature any "lesser" tracks. It contains gems like The Things You Said, I Want You Now and Little 15 to name but a few. I don't know about US, but in Europe it was released with extra tracks among which is Pleasure Little Treasure (Glitter Mix) , which was used in the movie Bright Lights, Big City.
You've posted this in the 80s section, but I'm not sure if you want to keep yourself restricted to this era. I suggest you buy both The Singles 81->85 and The Singles 86->98 to get a complete picture. On the other hand: some of their best songs have never been released as a single (like Halo, to be found on the album Violator).

As you might have guessed, I rather like Depeche Mode (note that I use their songs for my sig line). :)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/24/05 at 5:13 pm

In the late 80s they were so popular, I remember Depeche Mode would have their mid 80s music still played in heavy rotation during the late 80s and even very early 90s.  You didn't see that with a lot of other groups.  "People are People" is my favorite, it was from 1984, but you still heard it a lot in 1989.

Written By: Amber on 09/24/05 at 8:55 pm

My favorite is Violator. 

Check for new replies or respond here...