inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Rocky Horror Picture Show.....

Written By: loki 13 on 09/24/05 at 11:44 am

I've seen the movie on dvd and it's just not the same.
In the early to mid 80's I've seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show
in theaters 576 times.This movie needs audience participation.
I loved going to the theater to see it.Dodging toast, getting
squirted with water pistols and throwing toilet paper.Watching
actors in front of the screen and jumping up to do the "Time Warp."
Imagine, everyone in the theater doing the time warp.I miss the
theater shows.I just can't get into it on dvd.

Subject: Re: The Rocky Horror Picture Show.....

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/26/05 at 1:58 am

I saw it over 600 times in theatres and drive-ins and on video in the late 70s and early 80s before I ever bothered to go to an "audience participation" showing in around 84 or 85.

To be honest - while the participation is fun on occasion - I prefer to just sit and watch and enjoy the DVD.

My total is somewhere over 1000 these days.  I use to keep count back in the 80s but have lost count over the years.  As recently as a couple of months ago my friends came over and we got drunk and watched it 3 times in one night - singing along and saying all the lines.

Written By: Southern Image on 09/27/05 at 12:04 pm

I think the movie is over hyped. Nothing great about it at all. IMO

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/05 at 12:22 pm

It's just a jump to the left...

I don't know how many times I have seen it-some much better than others, depending on the audience of course. The local college put on the stage show a few years ago. It was still great! But yeah, it does lose something when you watch it on video or DVD-unless you invite all your friends over so they can all do the Time Warp again in your livingroom.

Cat

Written By: Tam on 09/27/05 at 2:09 pm

In college we did a pub night where in order to get into the pub, you had to come dressed as a character!
Next thing you know - the show was literally put on by all of us drunks!!! ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/27/05 at 6:29 pm

I have seen it in an actual theater more than 50 times

in play form more than 5 times

on tv, I don't know how many times

and I love it, love it, love it.

"Tell Us about it Janet"

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/28/05 at 5:54 pm

;D The main reason I liked the movie WAS the audience paticipation...Here we had a thing called "Midnite Flicks"..in the 80s Rocky Horror was one of the main ones showed over and over...We all dressed up...danced..ETC...The other Midnite Flicks were "The Wall"...Song Remains The Same"...but those were mainly just ACID fests..LOL...

Written By: TC1970 on 09/29/05 at 6:31 am

I enyoy RHPS but not to the point that I want to do the time warp.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/05 at 7:16 am

It came out in 1975....the same year a much better movie, IMHO, was also released. "Monty Python & The Search For The Holy Grail ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/30/05 at 11:03 am

in play form more than 5 times

I love seeing it live on stage.  In the early 80s I saw it dozens of times, in the 90s hmmm its only toured here twice I think but I went several times on each tour. I wont name the casts as they were all Aussies so you wont know who I am talking about anyway - but one did go one to win a little gold oscar - Russell Crowe :)  I saw him play Frank and also Eddie/Dr Scott.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/05 at 11:12 am

^wow! I didn't know he did it!!!

Written By: drewbru on 09/30/05 at 1:26 pm

Can someone please explain to me what the appeal is for "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"?  I know that it's considered to be a cult classic.  I've tried to watch this movie on T.V. several times, but it just never "engaged" me.  Would I have to attend a midnight screening with "audience participation" in order to appreciate it?

Written By: loki 13 on 09/30/05 at 8:54 pm

Can someone please explain to me what the appeal is for "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"?  I know that it's considered to be a cult classic.  I've tried to watch this movie on T.V. several times, but it just never "engaged" me.  Would I have to attend a midnight screening with "audience participation" in order to appreciate it?

Absolutely,audience participation makes this movie fun.
there is audience dialog throughtout the movie.Most
theaters stop the props,like water guns,toast and toilet paper
but it's what the audience says back to the screen is what makes
this movie worth watching.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/30/05 at 9:17 pm

8) I agree..watching the movie on tape or DVD just is well...Most PPLE now wouldnt get it...its just a " Have to be There" kinda thing..I really didnt think the movie was GREAT...it WAS the seeing it with a huge crowd that made the expierience...Nowadays I think it is diff.  You cant do all the crazy stuff we did back in the 80s...They do limit the stuff you can bring in or do....It is a Classic..but to me only if you have ever been there LIVE

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/01/05 at 5:38 am

^wow! I didn't know he did it!!!

Yep he did a season round Australia back in 1987 Tanya. He was cast as Dr Scott/Eddie but was also understudy for Frank.  I saw him several nights in a row as Dr Scott/Eddie and then totally fluked it the next two nights to get him as Frank. I later read an interview where he said he only played Frank "two or three times" so I was seriously lucky to see him as Frank twice !!!  At first I was pee'd off as I was a huge fan of the guy cast as Frank and I b*tched and moaned about getting the understudy - till I realised it was going to be Russell. So we got an understudy for the Dr Scott/Eddie role those nights.

Great legs on Russ - I have to say ;)

Can someone please explain to me what the appeal is for "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"? I know that it's considered to be a cult classic. I've tried to watch this movie on T.V. several times, but it just never "engaged" me. Would I have to attend a midnight screening with "audience participation" in order to appreciate it?

I guess as with anything considered a cult classic - you will only like it if it appeals to your own personal sense of humour and taste and I believe that will happen on the first viewing or not at all. There are not many cult classics that I would even bother to watch yet my friends are utterly addicted to them. But Rocky Horror has been tickling my fancy since I was 9 years old and continues to do so with every viewing. And no I personally dont believe a midnight audience participation viewing would necessarily change a persons mind.  To each his own.

I had to laugh tho - I was at a summer outdoor session of the movie a couple of summers ago.  Time Warp started and 2000 people jumped up to dance and one little voice from a woman in front of our group yells in a whiney voice "Sit dowwwwwwwwwwn I cant seeeeeeeeee". And I swear 500 people turned and said in unison "You came to actually SEE it ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/01/05 at 5:06 pm

Yep he did a season round Australia back in 1987 Tanya. He was cast as Dr Scott/Eddie but was also understudy for Frank.  I saw him several nights in a row as Dr Scott/Eddie and then totally fluked it the next two nights to get him as Frank. I later read an interview where he said he only played Frank "two or three times" so I was seriously lucky to see him as Frank twice !!!  At first I was pee'd off as I was a huge fan of the guy cast as Frank and I b*tched and moaned about getting the understudy - till I realised it was going to be Russell. So we got an understudy for the Dr Scott/Eddie role those nights.

Great legs on Russ - I have to say ;)

LOL!

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/01/05 at 5:27 pm

I've only seen the movie twice in the theater (once in Harvard Square and at Amherst Theater).  I've seen it several times on tape and DVD (I actually have the soundtrack on cassette, LP, CD and th movie on tape and DVD).  I'd prefer to see it in the movies, because it just isn't the same on TV.
To me the appeal is that people can be free and do stuff they wouldn't normally do.  They don't have to worry about looking weird.  One of my favorite quotes from the movie is, "Don't dream it, be it." 
I have some friends who actually were in the stage show during the movie and they loved it.  One of my closest RL friends was Magenta in a production. 
RHPS is a movie people either LOVE or either hate, like any cult movie. 

Written By: drewbru on 10/01/05 at 8:32 pm

I had to laugh tho - I was at a summer outdoor session of the movie a couple of summers ago.  Time Warp started and 2000 people jumped up to dance and one little voice from a woman in front of our group yells in a whiney voice "Sit dowwwwwwwwwwn I cant seeeeeeeeee". And I swear 500 people turned and said in unison "You came to actually SEE it ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??"

Too funny!  I guess that I'll have to attend a midnight screening (assuming that some Houston movie theaters still do this) some Saturday night.  I'll even be prepared to do the Time Warp!  8)

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/01/05 at 9:03 pm

It's sad that not too many theaters have stopped playing RHPS in the midnight showings.  I don't get it.  Here in Buffalo they stopped playing it at the Amherst Theater and I looked online and there's none nearby me.  I'd die to go see it in the theater again. 
Anyone seen the "sequel" to Rocky Horror called, "Shock Treatment"?  It's not as good as RHPS, but it has it's moments.  I have a couple friends who did the stage production of it, one was Bert Schnick and the other was Resthome Ricky (played brilliantly by Rik Mayall in the movie).

Written By: Ken on 10/06/05 at 3:09 pm

Rocky is alive and well in Houston... well webster.  You can find info at:

www.sadisticpleasures.org.

Written By: bj26 on 10/06/05 at 3:32 pm

If you see it in the theatre here and it's your first time, you have to go up on the stage in front of the whole (packed theatre on Halloween night) and do funny stuff.

Written By: drewbru on 10/06/05 at 3:52 pm

Rocky is alive and well in Houston... well webster.  You can find info at:

www.sadisticpleasures.org.

Hey, thanks for posting this link, Ken!  Since I grew up in Brook Forest, a subdivision of Clear Lake, I know exactly where you're talking about!  I never knew that this theater had a live show for TRHPS.  My wife and I will have to hire a babysitter some Saturday night, head down to Webster, eat a late dinner at Lupe Tortillas, then catch the show.

Written By: drewbru on 10/06/05 at 3:55 pm

If you see it in the theatre here and it's your first time, you have to go up on the stage in front of the whole (packed theatre on Halloween night) and do funny stuff.

What sort of things?  Am I going to have to wear makeup and one those bras?  What if they make me look fat?  Argh, the pressure, the pressure!    ;D

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/07/05 at 12:13 am

Yeah, if you go to the theater and it's your first time (you're a "virgin") DON'T let them know you haven't, or they will make you do weird things or the cast members will do weird things to you.  Like my friend, she was a "virgin" and somehow it was found out and she got sat upon by the guy who played Frank.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...