inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Female or Male singer in 80's were the biggest transetters, or Modern

Written By: Don on 09/27/05 at 1:18 pm

of course we have Madonna but except  Madonna who else had big influence in 80's Fashion?
I thought George Michael with "FATIH" album crossedover, that one hearing , 3-4 days shadow, the hairstyle, i thought he looked Shick
How about Duran Duran and Cindy Lauper, Pabbles, Whitney Houston -were people looking up to there fashion?

Subject: Re: What Female or Male singer in 80's were the biggest transetters, or Modern

Written By: whistledog on 09/27/05 at 1:26 pm

The cross-dressing fad through artists like Boy George/Culture Club, Dead or Alive, and Marilyn

When I was in elementary school, I can remember the Boy George look being quite a popular halloween costume :)

Subject: Re: What Female or Male singer in 80's were the biggest transetters, or Modern

Written By: Tam on 09/27/05 at 1:58 pm

Duran Duran's fashion was a cross-over hit with females.
I can't remember too many boys trying to emulate them.

Every girl in my class wanted to dress like Samantha Fox.
Unfortunately they were suspended for having their butt cheeks hanging out the rips in their jeans! ;D

Written By: woops on 09/27/05 at 9:11 pm

Debbie Gibson with the black hats

...though I've seen pics of Boy George wearing them a few years earlier

Written By: Don on 09/28/05 at 10:45 am

True Debbie was something, you know she still looks great all matured up very sexy..

Written By: drewbru on 09/28/05 at 10:55 am

I don't know if you'd consider him to be a trendsetter, but Sting's haircut from his "Dream of the Blue Turtles" album certainly influenced my own barbering decisions back in 1986!  :D

Written By: BCRichrocker on 09/28/05 at 2:01 pm

Motley Crue - Hair Metal trendsetters
Metallica - Thrash (yes, they were considered that at one time) "skater" look trendsetters
Prince - R&B trendsetter

I know some of those are bands but the point still remains for their genre's.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/28/05 at 8:07 pm

8)  Hear Ya TAM...I know I TRIED to wear those jeans..I really did outside of school...Samantha Fox was the IT girl then..not so goody goody..More Slutty..but in a GOOD way..LOL!! I had a really cool pair of jeans with the butt and sides out replaced with black lace...Its soo funny..now I would NEVER let my daughter outta the house with those on!!

Written By: TC1970 on 09/29/05 at 6:34 am

Pat Benatar was a big trend setter.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 09/29/05 at 7:30 am

When I think about the mullet hairstyle from the 80's, the one artist that comes to mind for me is Richard Marx.

Written By: Marie on 09/29/05 at 9:21 am

also i think Kim's hairstyle and make up was popular among young girls.http://www.kimwilde.com/pictures/secondtime/033.jpghttp://http://www.kimwilde.com/pictures/anotherstep/050.jpg

Written By: marie on 09/29/05 at 9:23 am

thos all bright yellow-green blak soo hip in 80's electro collors remember
http://www.kimwilde.com/pictures/secondtime/033.jpg

Written By: mindframe on 09/29/05 at 12:28 pm

I have to say Whitney Houston. A lot of girls of all cultures were styling their hair just like her.  Madonna had everybody going for that boy-toy, chain look and lots of jewelry. The band Bon Jovi had a lot of guys grow their hair longer and bigger.  And that Jheri curl look in 1983 and 1984 was hot for a minute before everybody got off of it. El Debarge and Morris Day's hairstyles were another trendsetter with the clean suits and white shoes.  There were more girls dressing like Duran Duran than the guys.

Check for new replies or respond here...