inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I am so sad!! I miss the time of the 80's

Written By: L on 09/30/05 at 12:11 pm

hello everyone I am new here. I am 23 years old and although I can only remember back to 1986-87 around the time when i began kindergarden those last years of the decade are still strongly in my mind and i miss those times so much, the music, the tv shows, the whole culture. Anyone feel the way i do... we need to bring back the 80's! :-[ :\'(

Subject: Re: I am so sad!! I miss the time of the 80's

Written By: billzee on 09/30/05 at 1:52 pm

I TOTALLY feel the way that you do, but thank god for websites like this and all the others that exist.  Today's technology allows us to relive the 80's in a way we wouldn't be able to otherwise.  I often say i'd give anything to relive just one day back then.  But I miss it so much, and think about it all the time, especially when I'm bored at work.  Well at least we have Ebay where we can buy all the things we used to have when we were kids that were lost over time.  ;D

Written By: drewbru on 09/30/05 at 2:12 pm

There is a science fiction book called "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons.  In this book, there is a drug called "Flashback" that basically allows you to "relive" the past by making your memory of the past seem real, as if you are living it in the present.  Sometimes, I wish that could take a drug like that, and relive selected memories from the 1980's:  road-tripping with my buddies to New Braunsfels following graduation from high-school, staying up late eating pizza and watching "The Terminator" for the first time, feeling proud to be American with Reagan as president, playing Photon, and so many others.  I don't think that I'd be willing to sacrifice my present life (I couldn't bear to live without my wife and daughters), but it would be soooooo nice to take a "vacation" back to the 80's!

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/30/05 at 9:45 pm

8) I Really miss the 80s too..Some parts though..Its wierd but..I wish I was my age now..38..but living then..The time then seemed so much more FUN..the music..the times.. I guess it really wouldnt be fun if I was 38...but..I wouldnt want to be a teenager again either...Maybe for a little while ..kinda like BIG...Am I confusing anyone yet..LOL...I am really happy with my life now..My husband and kids but..it would be fun to go back..say for a week..a month??  Someone asked me this before a long time ago..if you could pick a time to go back in the past..when would it be??  Back then..in the 80s..LOL..I said..I would go back to Woodstock...because my parents were there and said how great it was...But NOW..I would go back to the 80s...Prob..1983...That year was a BLAST!!..funny how time changes you

Written By: robby76 on 10/01/05 at 5:39 am

The 80's were the feelgood years... tv was made to be specifically feelgood, music was made to be feelgood... even 80's rock was feelgood! There was just a general happy vibe going round. Things in the 90's and 00's tend to be so serious, depressing and mundane - and the trouble is people jump on the bandwagon, and then it becomes reality!  ::) Of course I'm generalising a lot, but that's how it looks in the overall picture.

Written By: OliverDK on 10/01/05 at 8:02 am

There is a science fiction book called "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons.  In this book, there is a drug called "Flashback" that basically allows you to "relive" the past by making your memory of the past seem real, as if you are living it in the present.  Sometimes, I wish that could take a drug like that, and relive selected memories from the 1980's:  road-tripping with my buddies to New Braunsfels following graduation from high-school, staying up late eating pizza and watching "The Terminator" for the first time, feeling proud to be American with Reagan as president, playing Photon, and so many others.  I don't think that I'd be willing to sacrifice my present life (I couldn't bear to live without my wife and daughters), but it would be soooooo nice to take a "vacation" back to the 80's!

If that drug existed I'd be a total addict!!!

Written By: *Starlight* on 10/01/05 at 8:48 pm

I'm 22 and while the 80s were nice, maybe you miss them not so much of the actual years, but because you miss the simpler times of your early childhood?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/01/05 at 8:53 pm

I'm 22 and while the 80s were nice, maybe you miss them not so much of the actual years, but because you miss the simpler times of your early childhood?

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

I totally know how he feels, as a born in 1981-er who is pretty nostalgic for the decade I was born in. Yet, I was just thinking how, what I recall from the 80's is: Nintendo games, songs, movies, places we lived, family trips we took, being with my parents, going to school, etc etc.

On the other end of the spectrum, there also were things like Black Monday 1987, the Cold War, inner city poverty, a recession at the end of the decade, etc. Me being 8 when the 80's ended, I had very little (if any) knowledge of these things as they were going on.

Maybe kids of the 80's like myself, tend to automatically associate it with the "happier" things since that's all we remember? It automatically feels more innocent to us, since WE were more innocent??

Written By: drewbru on 10/01/05 at 8:58 pm

8) I Really miss the 80s too..Some parts though..Its wierd but..I wish I was my age now..38..but living then..The time then seemed so much more FUN..the music..the times.. I guess it really wouldnt be fun if I was 38...but..I wouldnt want to be a teenager again either...Maybe for a little while ..kinda like BIG...Am I confusing anyone yet..LOL...I am really happy with my life now..My husband and kids but..it would be fun to go back..say for a week..a month??  Someone asked me this before a long time ago..if you could pick a time to go back in the past..when would it be??  Back then..in the 80s..LOL..I said..I would go back to Woodstock...because my parents were there and said how great it was...But NOW..I would go back to the 80s...Prob..1983...That year was a BLAST!!..funny how time changes you

I agree -- 1983 was a good year, as was 1984 (probably my favorite year from the 80's, both from a pop culture perspective, and from a personal experiences perspective).  I wish that I could gather my previous "selves", the "me" from ages 7, 10, 13, 18, 22, 25, 30, and my present-day 34 year self, and let all of them have a conversation with each other.  I would hope that my previous selves would not be too disappointed with my present self, and the way my life has turned out.  Likewise, I would love to see firsthand how I have changed over the years -- how my attitudes and values have changed, my goals and dreams, my fears and anxieties.  A philosopher named Daniel Dennett compared the personality to a club that meets periodically.  Some members leave the club, some new peole join, and others are regular participants.  Anyways, don't know how I got of on this tangent...

Written By: drewbru on 10/01/05 at 9:15 pm

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

I totally know how he feels, as a born in 1981-er who is pretty nostalgic for the decade I was born in. Yet, I was just thinking how, what I recall from the 80's is: Nintendo games, songs, movies, places we lived, family trips we took, being with my parents, going to school, etc etc.

On the other end of the spectrum, there also were things like Black Monday 1987, the Cold War, inner city poverty, a recession at the end of the decade, etc. Me being 8 when the 80's ended, I had very little (if any) knowledge of these things as they were going on.

Maybe kids of the 80's like myself, tend to automatically associate it with the "happier" things since that's all we remember? It automatically feels more innocent to us, since WE were more innocent??

I agree that everyone tends to have exaggerated memories of the decade surrounding their youth, when parents shielded you from the pressures and responsibilities of life, and you could relax, have fun, and enjoy the innocence of being a kid.  However, I'm 34, and have vivid memories from 1976 through the present day.  I honestly believe that the 80's had qualities that made it superior to the 70's, 90's, and 00's.  The 80's had real economic prosperity (once double-digit inflation and the recession ended around 1982), as compared to the illusion of prosperity in the 90's (I personally believe that the Internet boom of the 90's was a sham, a mere shifting of wealth from one group to another, as compared to genuine internal growth).  Ronald Reagan was a president with integrity (regardless of your opinion of his intelligence or economic policies).  He made you feel proud to be an American.  Yes, the Cold War was still going on, but it wasn't something that most people really "feared" on a personal level (once again, I'm speaking in gross generalities  :)  Society still had a general attitude of personal responsibility, as compared to the "the government/taxpayer is responsible for fixing all of my problems for me" attitude that dominates politics today).  The streets were safer;  as kids, we could stay out late playing with friends (unsupervised), without our parents fearing for our safety.  Pop culture had a "fun" spirit to it -- listen to the songs, look at the fashions that were popular back in the 80's.  T.V. shows still had at least some morals to them -- look at "The Cosby Show", "Full House", "Family Ties", etc.  (I believe that it is important for children to hear moral stories on a regular basis, either at church/synagogue/temple, or from mass media).  Anyways, this is all my personal opinion -- sorry to ramble on so much -- I guess it comes from being an "old fogey"  :D

Written By: tv on 10/01/05 at 9:46 pm

T.V. shows still had at least some morals to them -- look at "The Cosby Show", "Full House", "Family Ties", etc.  (I believe that it is important for children to hear moral stories on a regular basis, either at church/synagogue/temple, or from mass media).  Anyways, this is all my personal opinion -- sorry to ramble on so much -- I guess it comes from being an "old fogey"   :D
Yes I miss the TV shows from the 80's. Witness my username.

Written By: robby76 on 10/01/05 at 10:24 pm

Yeah kids NEED morals in their tv programmes, but the powers that be deem that as "cheesy" now, which is a shame for our little kids.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/02/05 at 1:39 am

I agree that everyone tends to have exaggerated memories of the decade surrounding their youth, when parents shielded you from the pressures and responsibilities of life, and you could relax, have fun, and enjoy the innocence of being a kid.  However, I'm 34, and have vivid memories from 1976 through the present day.  I honestly believe that the 80's had qualities that made it superior to the 70's, 90's, and 00's.  The 80's had real economic prosperity (once double-digit inflation and the recession ended around 1982), as compared to the illusion of prosperity in the 90's (I personally believe that the Internet boom of the 90's was a sham, a mere shifting of wealth from one group to another, as compared to genuine internal growth).  Ronald Reagan was a president with integrity (regardless of your opinion of his intelligence or economic policies).  He made you feel proud to be an American.  Yes, the Cold War was still going on, but it wasn't something that most people really "feared" on a personal level (once again, I'm speaking in gross generalities  :)   Society still had a general attitude of personal responsibility, as compared to the "the government/taxpayer is responsible for fixing all of my problems for me" attitude that dominates politics today).  The streets were safer;  as kids, we could stay out late playing with friends (unsupervised), without our parents fearing for our safety.  Pop culture had a "fun" spirit to it -- listen to the songs, look at the fashions that were popular back in the 80's.   T.V. shows still had at least some morals to them -- look at "The Cosby Show", "Full House", "Family Ties", etc.  (I believe that it is important for children to hear moral stories on a regular basis, either at church/synagogue/temple, or from mass media).  Anyways, this is all my personal opinion -- sorry to ramble on so much -- I guess it comes from being an "old fogey"   :D

I think you've hit the nail on many areas. I also feel like growing up in the 80's there was less worry for children. I mean, there was still kidnapping which seemed to become an epidemic in the mid-80's, but in general it seemed things were still innocent. I loved playing in my front yard with my friends until dusk, listening to the radio and being creative. Kids just don't do that today. Even though we had computers and video games, to me they weren't like what they are today. TV was also way higher qaulity. Any kid today that wants to deem the 80's as cheesy will never know because they didn't live it - so they just don't know what they missed. I am proud to have been born in the 80's now, as before I use to be embarassed. Now I embrace the year I was born - 1982 :0) For some that seems like a long time ago - and guess what, it was!

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/05 at 1:42 am

I miss all the good family oriented sitcoms of the 80's.  Nowadays, it's all reality tV.  I hate it  >:(

Whatever became of the simpler times with wholesome comedies like Newhart, Full House, Too Close For Comfort, Perfect Strangers ...  :-\\

Apart from one or two shows I enjoy, TV today really sucks  :(

Written By: drewbru on 10/02/05 at 9:53 am

Yeah kids NEED morals in their tv programmes, but the powers that be deem that as "cheesy" now, which is a shame for our little kids.

We get our morals from what we see and hear when we are children.  As a kid, my morals were shaped by Mr. Rogers, Different Strokes, Happy Days, the novels of Judy Blume and Lloyd Alexander, the pastors and teachers at my church.  The underlying lesson from all of these sources was "treat yourself and other people with respect".  If today's kids aren't getting "healthy" morals from TV, religion, or books, then where are their values coming from?  I'm reminded of an episode of Star Trek-TNG, when one of the characters describes a totalitarian society: "Their bellies may be full, but their souls will be empty".  When I see the reality shows on TV, or hear rap music on the radio, I get very fearful for my daughters.  My wife and I try to create a healthy environment for them, but we won't be able to shield them from mass media forever (nor do I think that it would be healthy to try).

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/02/05 at 9:58 pm

I agree -- 1983 was a good year, as was 1984 (probably my favorite year from the 80's, both from a pop culture perspective, and from a personal experiences perspective).  I wish that I could gather my previous "selves", the "me" from ages 7, 10, 13, 18, 22, 25, 30, and my present-day 34 year self, and let all of them have a conversation with each other.  I would hope that my previous selves would not be too disappointed with my present self, and the way my life has turned out.  Likewise, I would love to see firsthand how I have changed over the years -- how my attitudes and values have changed, my goals and dreams, my fears and anxieties.  A philosopher named Daniel Dennett compared the personality to a club that meets periodically.  Some members leave the club, some new peole join, and others are regular participants.  Anyways, don't know how I got of on this tangent...
  Thats Excellent...I love that ...Also..on your topic of morals...I def. think I was shaped and formed as were my children of Mr Rogers...and Sesame St... and on your mention of Judy Blume...I just gave my Daughter the books Blubber...because kids were making fun of a classmate...and I gave her Are you there GOD its me Margaret?...great reads for young girls...

Written By: Amber on 10/03/05 at 12:36 am

Sometimes I wish I had been born 10 years earlier so I would have been a teenager in the 80s.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 10/03/05 at 5:45 am

decade are still strongly in my mind and i miss those times so much, the music, the tv shows, the whole culture. Anyone feel the way i do... we need to bring back the 80's! :-[ :\'(

I miss the 80's too.

Written By: Donna on 10/03/05 at 10:51 am

Even though i love 80's but i don't MISS 80's i think it was Good for Time being, I like 2005 's i think we all CAME LONG way, i even like music today its different but still has its own style.
"LIFE Changes we ve got to moooove forward, there is got to be a better way".
http://s2.excoboard.com/forums/4840/user/27207/212543.gif

Written By: Donna on 10/03/05 at 10:54 am

THE only thing i miss from 80's are RENT Prices in NYC ,Miami  or LA or as a matter of fact around USA :)
Nowdays Prices for APT rents are outrageously High $$$$.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/hamz/EGO/Shame02.gif

Written By: drewbru on 10/03/05 at 12:49 pm

Thats Excellent...I love that ...Also..on your topic of morals...I def. think I was shaped and formed as were my children of Mr Rogers...and Sesame St... and on your mention of Judy Blume...I just gave my Daughter the books Blubber...because kids were making fun of a classmate...and I gave her Are you there GOD its me Margaret?...great reads for young girls...

My mom used to read me "Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing" and "Superfudge" when I was a kid.  I could very much relate to these books, b/c I had a brother who was 7 years younger than me who was an extreme pest (some things never change!).  I believe that Judy Blume's books are wonderful tools for helping your kids how to learn how to empathize with other people, and I intend to ready them to my own daughters once they get old enough to understand them.

Other authors I recommend are Lloyd Alexander (his "Chronicles of Prydain" series), C.S. Lewis ("Chronicles of Narnia"), J.K. Rowlings ("Harry Potter"), Cynthia Voigt ("Homecomiing", "Dicey's Song"). and irene Hunt ("The Lottery Rose").

Written By: jlee on 10/03/05 at 2:33 pm

Being born in 1970, I was having the time of my life (junior high/high school) in the 1980s!  All of the fun and none of the worries.  There was nothing cooler than Friday Night Videos (no cable in the country where I lived so this was once weekly chance to watch music videos), the clothes, the music - all of it was great and I miss it alot!  I still have my leather bomber jacket with the patches all over it from 1984 and plan to wear it proudly this winter!
Going to see Michael Jackson on the Victory Tour was a high point of the decade (decked out in parachute pants, a single glove and a fedora, of course) but overall I'd have to say if I could pick a year to go back to it would be 1984. If that "flashback" drug you mentioned were real I would definitely have to get my hands on it!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/05 at 5:40 pm

Being born in 1970, I was having the time of my life (junior high/high school) in the 1980s!  All of the fun and none of the worries.  There was nothing cooler than Friday Night Videos (no cable in the country where I lived so this was once weekly chance to watch music videos), the clothes, the music - all of it was great and I miss it alot!  I still have my leather bomber jacket with the patches all over it from 1984 and plan to wear it proudly this winter!
Going to see Michael Jackson on the Victory Tour was a high point of the decade (decked out in parachute pants, a single glove and a fedora, of course) but overall I'd have to say if I could pick a year to go back to it would be 1984. If that "flashback" drug you mentioned were real I would definitely have to get my hands on it!

I actually remember Friday Night Videos very well. That use to air sometime during the news or right after it. I think it was on CBS for us, but I loved watching it.

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/03/05 at 11:06 pm

My mom used to read me "Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing" and "Superfudge" when I was a kid.  I could very much relate to these books, b/c I had a brother who was 7 years younger than me who was an extreme pest (some things never change!).  I believe that Judy Blume's books are wonderful tools for helping your kids how to learn how to empathize with other people, and I intend to ready them to my own daughters once they get old enough to understand them.

Other authors I recommend are Lloyd Alexander (his "Chronicles of Prydain" series), C.S. Lewis ("Chronicles of Narnia"), J.K. Rowlings ("Harry Potter"), Cynthia Voigt ("Homecomiing", "Dicey's Song"). and irene Hunt ("The Lottery Rose").
;)  WE DEf see eye to eye...I couldnt agree more... Ev thing you have posted...and...The Narnia series... was one of my all time faves...I used to stand in my closet..waiting for the BACK to open..LOL....My daughter is about to expierience that as well...She is in 4th grade and reads on a 6th grade level...My baby is SOOO smart...Here we go girl...off to stange and wonderful places!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/05 at 11:58 pm

We used to make jokes in the '80s about people in the future with '80s nostalgia....when they never lived in the '80s.

Why not?  A lot of people in my generation were like that about the '60s.  Remember that?  The Grateful Dead kept it all going until 1995!
So, who are the Grateful Dead of the '80s?

Republicans?

Written By: drewbru on 10/04/05 at 10:13 am

We used to make jokes in the '80s about people in the future with '80s nostalgia....when they never lived in the '80s.

Why not?  A lot of people in my generation were like that about the '60s.  Remember that?  The Grateful Dead kept it all going until 1995!
So, who are the Grateful Dead of the '80s?

Republicans?

It's funny how certain decades "attract nostalgia", while others don't.  The 60's seem to be the utlimate nostalgia decade (probably b/c America was so optimistic during that decade, what with the Beatles, Civil Rights movement, economic prosperity, LBJ's Great Society, etc.).  I can remember the 60's being very popular back in the 80's (not so much in terms of the way people dressed, but just the idea of the 60's, if you know what I mean).  However, even as a teenager in the 80's, I can remember thinking how wonderful the 80's were, how much I loved these years, how I never wanted them to end (even though I knew intellectually that they would end, which made them seem even that much more precious at the time).  Dunno who the "Greatful Dead of the '80s" are....maybe Sting?  Tom Petty?

Written By: drewbru on 10/04/05 at 10:24 am

I was born in 1971, and my family didn't have cable until 1986 (had to go over to my friend's house to watch MTV), so I can also remember watching Friday Night Videos (my parents were pissed about this, since the TV was in the living room, which was right next to their bedroom.  I was constantly being yelled at to "turn that racket down!"  :D)

So you went to MJ's "Victory Tour"?  Your costume reminds me of the character from "The Wedding Singer" (can't remember his name).  Just thinking about fashion from the mid-80's makes me smile fondly.  I never owned parachute pants, b/c I couldn't afford them (didn't stop me for wanting them, however).  1984 was a glorious year;  in retrospect, Prince should have named his song "Party Like It's 1984"!

Written By: jlee on 10/04/05 at 1:54 pm

I did...if you recall, tickets to the Victory Tour were sold only in sets of four.  It so happened that a family in a nearby town only needed three and advertised their extra ticket for sale and my grandma snagged it for me.  I still have the stub (the only ticket stub I've ever had made of plastic!) Wish I could say the same about the parachute pants but they are long gone!  Maybe they'll make a comeback soon!

In reference to Prince, I loved him too and also still have the Purple Rain movie on VHS. Had forgotten about it until you mentioned it!!

Check for new replies or respond here...