inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Blancmange Poll

Written By: whistledog on 10/01/05 at 8:24 pm

1982 - God's Kitchen
1982 - Feel Me
1982 - Living on the Ceiling
1983 - Waves
1983 - Blind Vision
1983 - That's Love, That it Is
1984 - Don't Tell Me
1984 - The Day Before You Came
1985 - What's Your Problem
1985 - Lose Your Love
1986 - I Can See It

Subject: Re: The Blancmange Poll

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 10/02/05 at 7:34 pm

Blind Vision

Written By: oneno on 10/03/05 at 10:20 am

It was hard to try to take even their serious songs serious, especialy after watching any of their vids. One of my fav 80's bands.

Written By: Southern Image on 10/03/05 at 11:56 am

That's Love That it Is

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 10/03/05 at 3:33 pm

Blind Vision

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/03/05 at 4:27 pm

I've gone for the only song that I can remember (vaguely, I must admit...) and that's Don't Tell Me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/05 at 11:52 pm

Blancmange is still one of my favorite groups even though they had such a short period of productivity.

WAVES

Wwwwayyyyves, then goodbye, I live on a wafer-thin dream....

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/11 at 3:35 pm

Thought I'd bump this back up.  I stumbled upon 'Lose Your Love' on YouTube, and forgot how much I love that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N81UChK78WY

Apparently Blancmange are back.,  They have a new single out called 'Drive Me' from their forthcoming "4th" album 'Blanc Burn'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMJvNIne-9I

Written By: Paul on 03/17/11 at 3:58 pm

'The Day Before You Came' was a pretty bold move...

Not only was it a cover of a relatively unsuccessful Abba song (when Abba were pretty un-hip), but it was covered less than two years after the original was released!

Not only that, but it outperformed Abba's version chartwise!

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/11 at 3:58 pm

'The Day Before You Came' was a pretty bold move...

Not only was it a cover of a relatively unsuccessful Abba song (when Abba were pretty un-hip), but it was covered less than two years after the original was released!

Not only that, but it outperformed Abba's version chartwise!

Agnetha was also in the video if I recall.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/18/11 at 11:54 pm

Apparently Blancmange are back.,  They have a new single out called 'Drive Me' from their forthcoming "4th" album 'Blanc Burn'

Want.  Really really really really want.

Had a tough time with this poll.  Consistently good tracks.  Tempted by Don't Tell Me, pondered Feel Me, 22339, Living on the Ceiling, but went with Living on the Ceiling.  Pretty much any of their tracks speak to me.  I suppose that's the point.  The tracks are a blank canvas of catchy synthpop grooves and riffs upon which you can attach any meaning you like.

I mean, even though I have no idea what 22339 is about, I'll sometimes find myself muttering it like a mantra while coding.  "I am a fish tank.  I am a bird cage..." WTF?  Hmm.  I can't even google it.  Over to to the lyrics board.  The lyrics for Blancmange, 22339 are now mostly transcribed (help fill in the blanks that I couldn't figure out), but they still defy explanation.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/19/11 at 1:03 am

Want.  Really really really really want.

Had a tough time with this poll.  Consistently good tracks.  Tempted by Don't Tell Me, pondered Feel Me, 22339, Living on the Ceiling, but went with Living on the Ceiling.  Pretty much any of their tracks speak to me.  I suppose that's the point.  The tracks are a blank canvas of catchy synthpop grooves and riffs upon which you can attach any meaning you like.

I mean, even though I have no idea what 22339 is about, I'll sometimes find myself muttering it like a mantra while coding.  "I am a fish tank.  I am a bird cage..." WTF?  Hmm.  I can't even google it.  Over to to the lyrics board.  The lyrics for Blancmange, 22339 are now mostly transcribed (help fill in the blanks that I couldn't figure out), but they still defy explanation.

Me too.  I was the ONLY kid in my town who liked Blancmange, even heard of Blancmange!  They were like other bands I liked -- Severed Heads, Legendary Pink Dots, and Fad Gadget -- in that they were just too willfully weird to get pinned down to a hit-making producer's game.  Blanc did have a few big hits in Britain/Commonwealth, but nearly nothing in the U.S. 

If you can find the "22339" 7", check out "Side 2," which is further outtakes and chit-chat from "22339."  Different version/mix.  I used to see a guy driving around my town with "22339" on his license plate.  Maybe the old man was a closet Blancmange fan!  I've used that number in passwords in the past!
:)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/19/11 at 2:27 am

If you can find the "22339" 7", check out "Side 2," which is further outtakes and chit-chat from "22339."  Different version/mix. 

I've already transcribed the differences between the two tracks to our lyrics board.  Seriously, just what the hell was that song about?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/11 at 10:53 am

Living On The Ceiling

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/19/11 at 10:54 am

I've already transcribed the differences between the two tracks to our lyrics board.  Seriously, just what the hell was that song about?

T'what "22339" refers I know not.  "I am a fish tank," "I am a birdcage," and "He's making me mad, she's driving me mad!" sound like it's about jealousy and possessiveness.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/20/11 at 2:15 pm

"The Western"
Something from their new album "Blanc Burn."  I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2llLbvV1jZY

Written By: youngerderek on 04/19/11 at 8:01 pm

good stuff. they remind me of Heaven 17 a little bit.

Check for new replies or respond here...