inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First song you remember liking in the 80's

Written By: drewbru on 10/01/05 at 10:37 pm

OK, what was the first song you remember liking back in the 1980's?  I can remember hearing John Cougar Mellancamp's "Jack and Diane" back in the early 80's (6th grade), and deciding that I needed to start listening to the radio immediately.  It also inspired me to start saving my pennies for a Panasonic boom box, so that I could record all those tasty songs (I still have that boom box to this day.  The tape deck has long-since died, but the radio still works).  This was also when I started watching MTV -- I can remember spending the night at my friend's house (he had cable TV), and we'd stay up all night drinking Cokes, eating pizza, and watching music videos).  Those were the days!

Subject: Re: First song you remember liking in the 80's

Written By: Dagwood on 10/01/05 at 10:58 pm

Magic Man by Heart.  I know it wasn't an 80's song, but I was about 9 when I first heard it which would have been in 1980.  Still love that song.

Written By: drewbru on 10/01/05 at 11:05 pm

Magic Man by Heart.  I know it wasn't an 80's song, but I was about 9 when I first heard it which would have been in 1980.  Still love that song.

I can remember liking that song as well (although I haven't heard it in at least 20 years -- I'll have to track it down again at some point).  One thing I really like about this site is that it reminds me of all the good music that I've forgotten.  Since the music is usually tied to other memories, it's like recovering pieces of my past that might otherwise have been lost forever!

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/02/05 at 8:41 am

Don't recall one offhand, but there were many.

In short, the story of how I got into songs apparently was, back around 1984, my uncle made my mom a couple mixtapes with some big hits of the time, as well as a few older songs. At home, mom apparently played one of these tapes one night, but did not try to get me into it - actually turned it down in hopes it wouldn't bother me, but apparently I just began liking it. Same thing when they'd have the radio on in the car. And the rest, as they say, is history. :D

Some of the very earliest songs offhand would include:

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
Wrapped Around Your Finger - Police
I Wanna Know What Love is - Foreigner
Everything from Lionel Richie's "Can't Slow Down" (the first full album I liked)
Old Man Down the Road - John Fogerty
Tender is the Night - Jackson Browne
Self Control - Laura Branigan
Allright - Christopher Cross
Little Red Corvette - Prince
Lucky Star - Madonna
Maneater - Hall & Oates

Also quite a few Beatles songs (mostly from the White Album), the Big Chill Soundtrack, and some Rolling Stones.

Written By: drewbru on 10/02/05 at 8:56 am

In short, the story of how I got into songs apparently was, back around 1984, my uncle made my mom a couple mixtapes with some big hits of the time, as well as a few older songs. At home, mom apparently played one of these tapes one night, but did not try to get me into it - actually turned it down in hopes it wouldn't bother me, but apparently I just began liking it. Same thing when they'd have the radio on in the car. And the rest, as they say, is history. :D

Since I almost always play 80's music in the car, I'm hoping that my daughters will grow to love this music as well (they are currently 2 years old and 2 months old, respectively).  My 2 year old seems to like Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" (or at least she gets a kick out of hearing me sing along!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/02/05 at 9:12 am

^ Awesome. :)

Of course everyone is different, but more often than not - with most kids, if you catch them early, there's more of a chance they'll continue to like that stuff once they're teens/adults, because they're less set in their ways.

I was their age around 1984, and I also got really into the Beatles (who were already 15+ years old) the same way. So it's very possible they could be next. 8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/02/05 at 12:01 pm

I remember loving these songs probably when I was around 3 1/2 or 4 years old (circa 1985-1986)

1. Walk of Life - Dire Straits
2. Dancing on the Ceiling - Lionel Richie
3. All at Once - Whitney Houston
4. Forever Young - from "Care Bears: The Next Generation" Movie, lol. (It was such a sad song! and I still kinda like it)
5. My Girl - The Temptations (my dad loved old Motown)
6. And various Kenny Rodgers material and TV themes, like Magnum P.I., Miami Vice, Silver Spoons, Happy Days, etc.

That's the most I can remember..

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/02/05 at 10:14 pm

8) I have posted it before but I remember the first Video I saw was " Hurts so Good" John Cougar Mellancamp...Song on the radio...Dang...No telling...I Listened to the Radio in my sleep...lol...I lived and breathed...Music...I had a boombox first...From Africa,,no less...(No sheesh)...my grandfather was a Master plummer and he was on a crew in Africa that was building the Embassy and he came home and brought me this HUGE Monster Boom Box that Dual Tape players and recorders...Hookup for a Mic...Shortwave...I could pick up China...Etc...It was Awesome...anyhow...I jammed on that till I got a Pioneer...Badass...Stereo...Here in Mem Tn...Home of ELVIS..back in the 80s the Best station was Rock 103...They are still very cool...But I listen an older station that plays 60s..70s..80s..now..I am getting old..LOL..

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/05 at 10:26 pm

Valerie by Steve Winwood.  I have loved that song ever since I was small.  The original 1982 version was very popular here in Canada, but it didn't pick up steam in America until the 1987 Remix

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/02/05 at 10:30 pm

^ Steve's 80's work rocks - kind of a new wave/R&B mixture.

He reminds me of my childhood as well - my favorite would probably be "The Finer Things", but I agree about the '87 version of "Valerie" - catchy as h_ll! 8)

Written By: bj26 on 10/03/05 at 9:10 am

Melt the Guns by XTC
with Another World by Joe Jackson and Amnesia by the Tubes Group running close seconds.

These were the initial songs that told me there was new music out there that I would soon crave like an addiction!

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 10/03/05 at 9:48 am

I think it was Golden Earring that started getting me hooked to the 'NEW' type of music out there. After that, I was done with disco and went straight to New Wave. :)

Written By: drewbru on 10/03/05 at 12:57 pm

8) I have posted it before but I remember the first Video I saw was " Hurts so Good" John Cougar Mellancamp...Song on the radio...Dang...No telling...I Listened to the Radio in my sleep...lol...I lived and breathed...Music...I had a boombox first...From Africa,,no less...(No sheesh)...my grandfather was a Master plummer and he was on a crew in Africa that was building the Embassy and he came home and brought me this HUGE Monster Boom Box that Dual Tape players and recorders...Hookup for a Mic...Shortwave...I could pick up China...Etc...It was Awesome...anyhow...I jammed on that till I got a Pioneer...Badass...Stereo...Here in Mem Tn...Home of ELVIS..back in the 80s the Best station was Rock 103...They are still very cool...But I listen an older station that plays 60s..70s..80s..now..I am getting old..LOL..

What an awesome boom box!  (for any age, not just kids or teenagers)  I've never heard of one that had shortwave built into it.  Lucky for you that your grandfather was able to acquire one while working in Africa.  Here in Houston, TX, there is a radio station called 106.9 "The Point" that plays music from the late 70's - early 90's.  It's my standard station to listen to when I'm not listening to my 80's mixture CD's.

Gotta love the music of John COUGAR Mellancamp!

Written By: zcrito on 10/03/05 at 10:45 pm

My first '80s favorite song would have to be one of these. All are in the order which I first heard them and all were played on the radio between Jan.1980 and Mar.1980. Those songs I liked say, during Dec.1979 and into 1980, aren't considered here.

Cars -- Gary Numan
Him -- Rupert Holmes
Longer -- Dan Fogelberg
This is It -- Kenny Loggins
With You I`m Born Again -- Billy Preston & Syreeta
Rock With You -- Michael Jackson
Money (That's What I Want) -- The Flying Lizards

:)

Written By: OliverDK on 10/03/05 at 10:47 pm

I grew up listening to my mother's hippie music - and I still listen to that too - but the first 80s song I remember liking was "Dancing in the Street" by Mick Jagger and David Bowie, I'm not sure exactly when it came out, but then again I don't remember much - in detail - from before '84/'85.

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/03/05 at 10:56 pm

What an awesome boom box!  (for any age, not just kids or teenagers)  I've never heard of one that had shortwave built into it.  Lucky for you that your grandfather was able to acquire one while working in Africa.  Here in Houston, TX, there is a radio station called 106.9 "The Point" that plays music from the late 70's - early 90's.  It's my standard station to listen to when I'm not listening to my 80's mixture CD's.

Gotta love the music of John COUGAR Mellancamp!
8)  it was AWESOME...now here in Memphis ( well..right at this moment I am listening to the best of Heart..)...but as far as stations...I listen to 98.1...Cool..Oldies...But I tell you..if you guys can STREAM...CK out..107.7..The Bone...from San Francisco...They totally ROCK...

Written By: Chasey on 10/07/05 at 4:07 pm

'Messages' by OMD

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/07/05 at 6:36 pm

But I tell you..if you guys can STREAM...CK out..107.7..The Bone...from San Francisco...They totally ROCK...

I about fell out of my chair when I read this (luckily it's on the carpet, so I wouldn't have been seriously injured, lol). ;)

I'm from San Jose (about 40 miiles south of SF) and I've been listening to that station since it went on the air in, I think, 1999. It tends to play "hard classic rock". The only things I don't like about it as much are:

1. Since the other hard rock station here (92.3 KSJO, which played a mix of new and old rock) went off the air a year ago, The Bone seems to be slowly drifting over to their side of the fence. In other words, I'm kinda hearing more grunge and metal songs, whereas before they never went past the 80's or played total "headbanger" stuff.

(Geez, I guess 1995 was 10 years ago though, so that's sort of considered "classic rock" now too. Good way to make me feel old! ;D )

2. Not enough reliance on "lesser known" hits. For instance, they never play anything past "Caught Up in You" for 38 Special. Nothing past "Shake it Up" for the Cars. No "Abracadabra" from Steve Miller, etc. Alot of these bands had some more pop oriented songs in the 80's which would fit in great, IMO. But they seem to be very "formula driven".

Other than those teeny nitpicks, they rock all the way! 8)

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/08/05 at 2:33 pm

I about fell out of my chair when I read this (luckily it's on the carpet, so I wouldn't have been seriously injured, lol). ;)

I'm from San Jose (about 40 miiles south of SF) and I've been listening to that station since it went on the air in, I think, 1999. It tends to play "hard classic rock". The only things I don't like about it as much are:

1. Since the other hard rock station here (92.3 KSJO, which played a mix of new and old rock) went off the air a year ago, The Bone seems to be slowly drifting over to their side of the fence. In other words, I'm kinda hearing more grunge and metal songs, whereas before they never went past the 80's or played total "headbanger" stuff.

(Geez, I guess 1995 was 10 years ago though, so that's sort of considered "classic rock" now too. Good way to make me feel old! ;D )  How about that!! I have been to San Jose twice..flew outta the San Jose airport...love that place!! I flew out there when my husband was working out there...He goes to Cali all the time..Last time I was there we stayed at the Sunnyvale Inn...all the hotels in San Fran were SSSOOO expensive!!...But yea..I really Jam on that station..True they are playing alot of metal now but I have heard alot of 80s stuff too...I guess next time we come out we will crash at your place..LOL ::)

2. Not enough reliance on "lesser known" hits. For instance, they never play anything past "Caught Up in You" for 38 Special. Nothing past "Shake it Up" for the Cars. No "Abracadabra" from Steve Miller, etc. Alot of these bands had some more pop oriented songs in the 80's which would fit in great, IMO. But they seem to be very "formula driven".

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/08/05 at 2:37 pm

How about that!! I have been to San Jose twice..flew outta the San Jose airport...love that place!! I flew out there when my husband was working out there...He goes to Cali all the time..Last time I was there we stayed at the Sunnyvale Inn...all the hotels in San Fran were SSSOOO expensive!!...But yea..I really Jam on that station..True they are playing alot of metal now but I have heard alot of 80s stuff too...I guess next time we come out we will crash at your place..LOL

Cool. I think I've even been by the Sunnyvale Inn. :)

P.S. I only have this one room, so crashing here might be out of the question. ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/08/05 at 2:38 pm

OMG..That post got screwed up!!LOL

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/08/05 at 7:01 pm

(Geez, I guess 1995 was 10 years ago though, so that's sort of considered "classic rock" now too. Good way to make me feel old! ;D )

I myself have been listening to 107.7 the Bone and another affiliate on station 104.1 The Eagle (I think it's still the Eagle). 104.1 plays more hard 70's/80's rock, where 107.7 does play more metal material.

Written By: Boogaloo Shrimp on 10/09/05 at 1:46 pm

I liked just about any breakdance song...... Breakers Revenge, Breakdance(Electric Boogie), Rockit, Al Naayfish(The Soul), Breakers in Space, Play That Beat Mr DJ.....could go on and on. Most people don't remember those though. I feel like getting out the cardboard and doin some bodyrocking !!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/09/05 at 3:33 pm

Modern Love by David Bowie and We Built This City by Starship are the two that stand out in my mind the most.
Also Somewhere Out There by  Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...