inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Just Like Mom - Canadian Game Show

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/05 at 10:58 pm

Anyome remember the show Just Like Mom?  Broadcast on the CTV Network, the show was hosted by Catherine Swing and Fergie Olver, and featured 3 teams of a mother and her child.

The object was to detmine via a series of questions, how much the mom knew about her child (and vice versa).  In the end, they had a bake-off.  The kids would have to make cookies with the ingredients given, and the moms had to detmine which cookies were made by their own kid  ;D

http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/jlm1.jpg http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/jlm2.jpg

http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/jlm3.jpg http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/jlm4.jpg

http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/jlm5.jpg http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/jlm6.jpg

Subject: Re: Just Like Mom - Canadian Game Show

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/02/05 at 11:01 pm

I remember that show!

Kids, kitchens, stoves, and cookie dough don't mix, even fot a game show!  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/02/05 at 11:02 pm

that was such a bad show..maha,..but it does make me laugh to remember it..especially when they would put the most disgusting stuff in the 'batter'  :P..thought of another show this week that was on around the same time ..'Mad Dash'..i'm sure you remember,Jason ;D

Written By: whitewolf on 10/02/05 at 11:03 pm

I remember that show, use to love it. I loved the look on the mom's faces when they tried the cookies, all of them seemed to think it would taste terrible ;D  most of them probably did ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/02/05 at 11:07 pm

I remember that show, use to love it. I loved the look on the mom's faces when they tried the cookies, all of them seemed to think it would taste terrible ;D  most of them probably did ;)

They probally did!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/06 at 2:43 am

Found some old photos from the show and put them in the first post :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/06 at 9:42 am

I still say Kids, ovens, and cookie dough don't mix!  ;D  I would hate to have been the person, who had to taste the food they made!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/06 at 12:07 pm

I still say Kids, ovens, and cookie dough don't mix!  ;D  I would hate to have been the person, who had to taste the food they made!   ;D

I know what you mean.  Especally being on camera on national TV ... you can't very well say "Yuck.  This cookie tastes like sh!t"  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/06 at 5:07 pm

;D

Written By: star500 on 01/12/06 at 7:18 pm

My mom told me that the kids put ketchup and mustard among other things in those cookies....so needless to say, I think a lot of people would be cautious trying them ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/06 at 7:42 pm

My mom told me that the kids put ketchup and mustard among other things in those cookies....so needless to say, I think a lot of people would be cautious trying them ;D

You name it, the kids would put it in the cookies  ;D

Written By: Nesman on 01/21/06 at 8:48 pm

Hey, thanks for that memory. I totally forgot about that show .... a truly Canadian game show.  What about some other Canadian game show classics:

Definition
Mad Dash
Pitfall - the one with Alex Trebek and they had to get across a series of columns by answering questions and if they got it wrong the column went down
Supermarket Sweep - very cheezy show, didn't really get that one
???? - a show where people had card with riddles and they would say, "For $50, this is my riddle"  and they had really stupid clues that you had to guess - not sure what that show was called but Jackpot sticks in my mind
Others?????

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/06 at 9:01 pm

Hey, thanks for that memory. I totally forgot about that show .... a truly Canadian game show.  What about some other Canadian game show classics:

Definition
Mad Dash
Pitfall - the one with Alex Trebek and they had to get across a series of columns by answering questions and if they got it wrong the column went down
Supermarket Sweep - very cheezy show, didn't really get that one
???? - a show where people had card with riddles and they would say, "For $50, this is my riddle"  and they had really stupid clues that you had to guess - not sure what that show was called but Jackpot sticks in my mind
Others?????

I watched all of those shows.  That last one was Jackpot yes.  It was hosted by former Canadian singer Mike Darrow from 1985-1989 :) 
Also, don't forget The New ($40,000) Chain Reaction with Geoff Edwards.  It was an American show, but was filmed in Canada all throughout it's 1986-1991 series run :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 10:54 am

Definition is my favorite.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 10:54 am

As I was saying before.....  ;D

Written By: Nesman on 01/22/06 at 2:47 pm

Chain Reaction is familiar ... what was premise of the show again?  I know it was likely some cheezy trivia game where the grand prize was a washer/dryer or a nights stay at the Royal York Hotel.

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 7:12 pm

Chain Reaction is familiar ... what was premise of the show again?  I know it was likely some cheezy trivia game where the grand prize was a washer/dryer or a nights stay at the Royal York Hotel.

In Chain Reaction, you were given the top word and the bottom word.  You had to fill in the words in between, and each word chained with another word

The theme song will jog your memory Click here to listen :)

http://www.xanfan.com/trading/40000cr.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 7:14 pm

The prizes on Canadian games during the 70's and 80's, were lame!  ::)  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 7:17 pm

The prizes on Canadian games during the 70's and 80's, were lame!  ::)  ;D

The odd time there were good prizes.  Remember that one show Acting Crazy with host Wayne Cox?  It was like a charades style game with little known celebrity panelists (ie: Dennis Simpson from Polka Dot Door).  The grand prize on that show was like $5,000.  Quite lame compared to that of the $25,000 prizes offered on other game shows ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 7:20 pm

I like the prizes such as Turtle Wax, socks, ties, or Enclyopedias.  ::)  Their way of saying "Hey..... We are a Canadian game show, on a low budget, we can afford to give away cheap prizes!"  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 7:26 pm

I like the prizes such as Turtle Wax, socks, ties, or Enclyopedias.  ::)  Their way of saying "Hey..... We are a Canadian game show, on a low budget, we can afford to give away cheap prizes!"  ;D

I remember years ago on "Bumper Stumpers", the woman on the losing team interrupted the announcer, and said "When do I get my set of encyclopedias"  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 7:47 pm

;D

Written By: Nesman on 01/23/06 at 1:10 pm

;D

Hilarious ..... yes ... gotta love those Canadian games shows. Yes, now I remember Chain Reaction. And Bumper Stumpers ... that was a good one too.  I guess when the internet caught on they had to disband the Canadian game show because they had no prizes (encyclopedias) left. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/06 at 1:38 pm

;D

That would put a cramp in it.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/06 at 1:47 pm

The one Canadian Game Show with the cheapest prizes has to be "Love Handles" with Stu Jeffries.  It was your typical married couples being asked questions game show.  The top prize was a trip to Jasper, Alberta and the runners up received Ice Cream and Sausages as parting gifts  ;D

After a certain amount of shows were played, they'd have a tournment of returning champions and there was a grand prize of a bond worth $100,000, that would take about a decade to mature.  Basically you win $100,000, but you can't claim it until 10 years from now  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/06 at 2:09 pm

;D

Now that's cheap!  ;D

Written By: kristin on 02/07/06 at 10:13 pm

Hey! I was on Just Like Mom! In 1983 and we actually won. I had to made cheese and bacon muffins and I remember putting in whipping cream and cherries. I got to spin the wheel and it almost clicked over tot he trip to Disney but I ended up winning a bike. My mom got a BBQ and a vacuum. I also got a Just like Mom watch and tshirt. Too cheesy! I remember Fergie and his wife Catherine arguing on commercial breaks.

Written By: Jewel on 02/08/06 at 2:07 pm

Wow, I thought I was the only one who remembered this show! I use to love watching the kids mix the ingredients in their bowls...

Check for new replies or respond here...