inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else watch and love "China Beach"

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/03/05 at 11:57 pm

8)  I know most of you were really young in the 80s and prob didnt watch much TV...much less the "Serious"...shows...When I was a child...my fave thing was to stay up late on weeknites and watch M*A*S*H...My dad really schooled me on war and some how as a girl I really got into it and wanted to know why our country was fighting...others...my first real war film was.."Platoon"  in 1985...I went with my father and ..I was absorbed into the film...we were very close to the front and when we stood up to leave..after the lights had come on...I looked forward and the whole front row was filled with guys with army attire..one without any arms...all with tears in thier eyes...I listened as they talked about how realistic the movie was and I imagined what it must have been like to be there...as I write this I think of my son..who is 19...he is in Bootcamp...the NAVY..he wants to be a SEAL..anyway..I think China Beach was one of the best shows ever on TV...It was Dana Delany's coming out role...she was absolutely GREAT...as was Marg Helgenberger..( CSI.)...the show ended way too soon and had great characters..plots...EV...What do YOU think??

Subject: Re: Anyone else watch and love "China Beach"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/05 at 12:00 am

I watched the previews for it a lot in the '80s!
:) ;)

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/04/05 at 12:11 am

::) everyone..if you like mash ...and even if you didnt...if you want to know about Vietnam..(..if you are young and dont want too much serious stuff....but enough to give you the "picture'...)...this show is a perfect balance of both....it gives you the "balance"...both sides are equally represented...I recommend ALL to watch it..

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/04/05 at 3:52 am

I watched it back when I was a youngin' but it was too dramatic for me at the time. I always thought the lady was pretty who was in the opening credits (Dana Delaney).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/04/05 at 7:34 am

It was a good show, I also liked Tour of Duty, which was also on at the same time.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/04/05 at 9:22 am

It was a good show, I also liked Tour of Duty, which was also on at the same time.

Same here. I liked Ricki Lake's character. I remember when she got pregnant and needed an abortion.

Written By: drewbru on 10/04/05 at 9:58 am

8)  I know most of you were really young in the 80s and prob didnt watch much TV...much less the "Serious"...shows...When I was a child...my fave thing was to stay up late on weeknites and watch M*A*S*H...My dad really schooled me on war and some how as a girl I really got into it and wanted to know why our country was fighting...others...my first real war film was.."Platoon"  in 1985...I went with my father and ..I was absorbed into the film...we were very close to the front and when we stood up to leave..after the lights had come on...I looked forward and the whole front row was filled with guys with army attire..one without any arms...all with tears in thier eyes...I listened as they talked about how realistic the movie was and I imagined what it must have been like to be there...as I write this I think of my son..who is 19...he is in Bootcamp...the NAVY..he wants to be a SEAL..anyway..I think China Beach was one of the best shows ever on TV...It was Dana Delany's coming out role...she was absolutely GREAT...as was Marg Helgenberger..( CSI.)...the show ended way too soon and had great characters..plots...EV...What do YOU think??

I watched M*A*S*H regularly as a kid.  I still remember watching the final episode at my friend's house -- one of the most emotional moments ever recorded on T.V.  I can also remember watching "Platoon" in the theater, way back in 7th grade.  Though I am too young to have first-hand memories of the Vietnam War, I do remember how "Platoon" was the first film to bring the pain of the Vietnam experience to the forefront of American consciousness.  In Houston, there were parades held for Vietnam vets;  I saw grown men weep at finally being appreciated for the sacrifices that they suffered in the service of their country.  As I recall, there were many "Vietnam-oriented" shows/movies that came out around this time, such as "Born on the 4th of July", "Hamburger Hill", "China Beach", etc.  I personally didn't watch "China Beach", but I can remember seeing the commercials for it;  it looked like a good show (I wonder if they are available on DVD yet?  I'll have to check Amazon/NetFlix...)

Hope your son is not called to participate in active fighting during his tour of duty!  I can only imagine how stressful this must be for you as a parent.

Written By: Skippy on 10/04/05 at 5:41 pm

Great show. A nice mix of both sides of life at a MASH unit. Still watch it occasionally on ALTV.

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/05/05 at 12:08 am

I watched M*A*S*H regularly as a kid.  I still remember watching the final episode at my friend's house -- one of the most emotional moments ever recorded on T.V.  I can also remember watching "Platoon" in the theater, way back in 7th grade.  Though I am too young to have first-hand memories of the Vietnam War, I do remember how "Platoon" was the first film to bring the pain of the Vietnam experience to the forefront of American consciousness.  In Houston, there were parades held for Vietnam vets;  I saw grown men weep at finally being appreciated for the sacrifices that they suffered in the service of their country.  As I recall, there were many "Vietnam-oriented" shows/movies that came out around this time, such as "Born on the 4th of July", "Hamburger Hill", "China Beach", etc.  I personally didn't watch "China Beach", but I can remember seeing the commercials for it;  it looked like a good show (I wonder if they are available on DVD yet?  I'll have to check Amazon/NetFlix...)

Hope your son is not called to participate in active fighting during his tour of duty!  I can only imagine how stressful this must be for you as a parent.
8)  The show Tour of Duty is available on DVD...I saw it today while looking for another fave show of mine..( Dr quinn )..Yes..there were many movies that came out around that time...I have seen all of them...I dont know why ..But I am obsessed with War films...I guess the seed was planted with M*A*S*H...I watched Apocolypse now...SP?...I totally got obsessed...I was watching war films when my friends were watching cartoons...When they were reading the cartoons on sundays I was reading the BIO of Hitler...I wanted to know how someone could be so sadistic..how our country could get to the point where we were letting our PPLe be killed and tortured...I wanted to join up when I was 10 and my Dad told me to CHILL...My whole family was in all the wars...WW1...WW2...Korea...Vietnam..OMG..I am getting freaked out ..again!!...anyway..yes..I am very worried that my son will have to go to Iraq...did anyone else see the pic on AOL..about the marines.."and then there was one"...That pic...the last guy that didnt get killed...my son looks like him..Black hair..the smirk..handsome..I lost it!!..

Check for new replies or respond here...