inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help with 80's prom dresses!

Written By: adrienne on 10/04/05 at 11:03 pm

Hey all we're going to our college formal dressed in 80's formal wear. I thought it would be an awesome idea and would be totally fun but i'm having problems finding classis 80's dresses for us girls. Ya know the ones that are bright fuscia with the huge puffy sleeve or the madonna type lace look. I checked ebay but a lot of their stuff is kinda not that exciting and isn't going to give us that screaming 80's effect. If anyone could help me out and point me in a direction to look that'd be great. Thanks so much for any help you can give! :)

Subject: Re: Help with 80's prom dresses!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/04/05 at 11:19 pm

Hey all we're going to our college formal dressed in 80's formal wear. I thought it would be an awesome idea and would be totally fun but i'm having problems finding classis 80's dresses for us girls. Ya know the ones that are bright fuscia with the huge puffy sleeve or the madonna type lace look. I checked ebay but a lot of their stuff is kinda not that exciting and isn't going to give us that screaming 80's effect. If anyone could help me out and point me in a direction to look that'd be great. Thanks so much for any help you can give! :)

Hi, have you tried your local Goodwill/Salvation Army/thrift stores?  I have seen many 80's style dresses in places like that....and they are only a few bucks. Good luck!

Erin :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/04/05 at 11:49 pm

;D  I was a bridesmaid in 6..at least weddings...80s style dresses...just like what you said...Bright pink....teal...puffy sleeves...if they are still in my moms attic...you are welcome to them...LOL...Really...I will CK..I have my prom dress too from then..it was white ..but..i spilled quite a few jack and cokes on it so its prob ruined..Didnt take it to the cleaners..just shoved it in the closet..

Written By: Todd on 10/05/05 at 12:09 am

I have a couple outlandish prom dresses from the 80s in my vast collection of 80s clothes.  Both have a combination of taffeta and netting and have puffy skirts and sleeves.  Thrift/vintage shops are a great source.  But if you have the time and financial means, try and find a seamstress/dressmaker that can custom make one for you.  They can use actual 80s prom/formal dress patterns that are available at almost any fabric/sewing store.  Best of luck and keep us posted!

Written By: lorac614 on 10/05/05 at 10:19 am

Gunne Sax was a popular style, lots of lace and ruffles.

Check out e-bay. Here's an item number of one that screams 80's to me...

and another one...

Check for new replies or respond here...