inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Obscure early 80's Western

Written By: drewbru on 10/05/05 at 2:31 pm

OK, I'm not exactly sure that this was an 80's movie, but I'm gonna take a shot anyways.  In the early 80's (I'm guessing '81 or '82), I remember seeing a Western on T.V.  In the movie, a young gunslinger is pressuring an older gunfighter to take on a gang of 100 outlaws at once.  I remember that the younger one would catch fish using a tree limb as a club.  He would also drink beers in a saloon, then toss the glasses and shoot them before they hit the floor.  There were several scenes that I remember being more slapstick than serious.  At the end of the movie, the two men have a staged shootout, where they fake the death of the older one, who "retires in a blaze of glory" and sails off to Europe.  The younger one then takes over the role as "fastest draw in the West".

Note:  I know that it was NOT a Clint Eastwood western; in fact, I don't recall there being any major stars in the movie.  It may have even been a made-for-TV movie.

Anyone know the title of this movie?  I only saw it the one time, but for whatever reason, the memory has stuck with me for over 20 years.  I've tried Googling it, but without more detailed information, I haven't been able to find the title.

Subject: Re: Obscure early 80's Western

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/05 at 3:29 pm

"The Grey Fox" maybe.  I loved that movie.  I thing that may be the one

Written By: drewbru on 10/05/05 at 3:43 pm

"The Grey Fox" maybe.  I loved that movie.  I thing that may be the one

Thx for the info, DanootaAndMe, but I don't think that "The Grey Fox" is it, since the aging gunfighter in that movie was a robber, whereas the one from the movie I'm talking about was a lawman.

Another scene I just remembered was one where the younger man confronts the older one, and mocks him.  The older gunfighter gets pissed, and shoots the younger one's hat off.  Every time the younger guy tries to pick it up, the older man shoots it again.  At the end, the hat only has one bullet hole in it -- the old guy was so accurate that he cut hit the same spot every single time.

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/05/05 at 10:30 pm

8)  Wow..thats a hard one...the hat shooting thing does sound like a scene in on of the Clint movies with Lee Van Cleef...other than that..Im lost...curious to know what it is tho..

Written By: Skippy on 10/05/05 at 11:39 pm

O.K. you young whippersnappers........The movie title you're seeking is "My Name Is Nobody". Henry Fonda was one of the stars. He played an aging gunfighter who wanted to be left alone, but a younger gunfighter wanted him to go out in a blaze of glory and get his name in the history books.
  It's another classic Italian "spaghetti" western from the same producer that did many of the Clint Eastwood classics. BTW, it was 150 outlaws, not 100, from the "Wild Bunch" gang.
If you have Fox Movie Channel or Turner Classic Movies(I don't remember which) you may catch it.

Written By: Skippy on 10/06/05 at 4:05 am

BTW, the movie is actually from 1973. Sergio Leone, the idea behind it, is the person I was trying to remember. Terence Hill played "Nobody".

Written By: zcrito on 10/06/05 at 4:55 am

O.K. you young whippersnappers........The movie title you're seeking is "My Name Is Nobody". Henry Fonda was one of the stars. He played an aging gunfighter who wanted to be left alone, but a younger gunfighter wanted him to go out in a blaze of glory and get his name in the history books.
  It's another classic Italian "spaghetti" western from the same producer that did many of the Clint Eastwood classics. BTW, it was 150 outlaws, not 100, from the "Wild Bunch" gang.
If you have Fox Movie Channel or Turner Classic Movies(I don't remember which) you may catch it.

Great movie. It also has a great soundtrack

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005AKE9/qid%3D1128592040/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-4577724-2445637

:)

Written By: Kenosha on 10/06/05 at 6:35 am

Terrence Hill from "They Call Me Trinity" and Trinity Is Still My Name". Great movies

Written By: drewbru on 10/06/05 at 8:03 am

YES, THAT'S IT!!!!  Thank you, Skippy!  I checked IMDB, and sure enough, the movie I'm talking about was "My Name is Nobody".  I'd completely forgotten that Henry Fonda played the lead role.  While I'm not a big fan of Westerns in general, this movie in particular had an impact on me.  Maybe it was the sadness of an aging, honorable gunfighter seeing the world change around him, knowing in his heart that he was about to become obsolete, yet still having "one last good fight" left in him.  The soundtrack by Ennio Morricone was also nice -- you haven't heard classical music until you've heard "Flight of the Valkyrie" played on car horns! 

I'm adding this movie to my NetFlix queue.

Written By: drewbru on 10/06/05 at 8:09 am

Terrence Hill from "They Call Me Trinity" and Trinity Is Still My Name". Great movies

I'll have to see if I can track down these movies, Kenosha.  Terrence Hill did a good job in "Nobody" of playing a "slapstick hero".  From what I've read in IMDB about these two movies, it sounds like he plays a similar character in them as well.  I liked the scene where he delivers the ticking bomb to Henry Fonda in the bread basket.  As the last few seconds tick down, he throw the basket outside to the cowardly assassins, and yells, "He says he don't want any!"

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/07/05 at 1:10 am

8) OK Thats totally cool..Henry Fonda is BadAss...My husband is a lineman....Anyone want to know what its like to be " On the Pole".....Watch Slim the Lineman..starring Henry Fonda...Its one of his first and best.....bought the time he filmed " Grapes of Wrath"...and...watch it and think about the men that are up on those poles...thousands of volts...putting thier life on the line for you to have POWER...these men are HEROS...This is one of the most dangerous jobs out there...they deserve respect and a great BIG thank you...

Written By: drewbru on 10/07/05 at 9:52 am

8) OK Thats totally cool..Henry Fonda is BadAss...My husband is a lineman....Anyone want to know what its like to be " On the Pole".....Watch Slim the Lineman..starring Henry Fonda...Its one of his first and best.....bought the time he filmed " Grapes of Wrath"...and...watch it and think about the men that are up on those poles...thousands of volts...putting thier life on the line for you to have POWER...these men are HEROS...This is one of the most dangerous jobs out there...they deserve respect and a great BIG thank you...

I can believe that this is a dangerous job!  Here in Houston, many power lines were damaged by Hurricane Rita.  It is thanks to brave me like your husband that my family only lost power for 2 days following the hurricane (and trust me, if you've never been to Houston, it is NOT a city that you want to be without air conditioning for any length of time;  following the hurricane, temperatures were exceeding 100 degrees, along with high humidity.  When you have young kids, electrical power becomes a necessity instead of a luxury!)

Check for new replies or respond here...