inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: dresses/skirts vs pants/shorts

Written By: Australian80sChild on 10/05/05 at 7:26 pm

hi - new user so bare with me

it's sad that so many these days don't like dresses and skirts - or pink etc - even back when i was growing up 20 years ago people were saying how proud they were to wear "comfy" tuxes to formal events instead of "some fluffy dress" - are they really that much better?

I've always been probably the girliest girl you could ever meet - i was always being teased because I like pretty dresses and skirts and perfume and pink and flowers and so on - should that really have made me some sort of criminal?

Sometimes i wonder whether so much has been concentrated on what has been gained that we can't see what has been lost.

Subject: Re: dresses/skirts vs pants/shorts

Written By: Todd on 10/05/05 at 7:49 pm

Michelle!  I loved your post!  I am also a fan of dresses and skirts.  I say, hang in there!  If you look around, skirts and dresses are getting more and more popular.  I like the semi-bohemiam look of the wider, circle skirts...sorta 80s meets 50s.  Miniskirts are more feminine as well, not so many straight and shapeless ones.  I see lots of pleats and tiers and layers.  THIS is more like it!  As if you couldnt tell by my name, I AM a guy...and was (and still am) a part-time crossdresser in the 80s.... Mainly cuz girls clothes were way more fun than the stuff guys had to choose from.  The one thing I DO NOT understand...is the whole, "skort" thing.  Pants (shorts) that appear to look like a skirt on the outside, but really arent.  Why bother?  Isnt the whole point of a skirt to get away from pants?  Also..WHY do some girls wear JEANS and pants UNDER their skirts???  Again...Whats the point??  Go back to bare legs...or hosiery (tights always look awesome) to wear under skirts...And dont get me started on cheerleading uniforms...What the heck happened there??  Where are the classic pleats and shell/sweater tops??  Now most of cheer uniforms look like basic tight minis girls would wear to the mall...And then even some of those skirts HAVE SHORTS underneath!!!  WHere are the "spankies" and "bloomers"??  Sorry..had to vent...as a fan of fun fashions...esp dresses and skirts...I had to get that off my chest!  Soooo...to sum it up...I applaud the return of circle-cut...billowy skirts...but lets get rid of these boring cheer uniforms and go back to the way they USED to be...REAL cheerleading uniforms!!   Hey..Halloween is coming up...now I have some ideas...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/06/05 at 12:16 am

Michelle!  I loved your post!  I am also a fan of dresses and skirts.  I say, hang in there!  If you look around, skirts and dresses are getting more and more popular.  I like the semi-bohemiam look of the wider, circle skirts...sorta 80s meets 50s.  Miniskirts are more feminine as well, not so many straight and shapeless ones.  I see lots of pleats and tiers and layers.  THIS is more like it!  As if you couldnt tell by my name, I AM a guy...and was (and still am) a part-time crossdresser in the 80s.... Mainly cuz girls clothes were way more fun than the stuff guys had to choose from.  The one thing I DO NOT understand...is the whole, "skort" thing.  Pants (shorts) that appear to look like a skirt on the outside, but really arent.  Why bother?  Isnt the whole point of a skirt to get away from pants?  Also..WHY do some girls wear JEANS and pants UNDER their skirts???  Again...Whats the point??  Go back to bare legs...or hosiery (tights always look awesome) to wear under skirts...And dont get me started on cheerleading uniforms...What the heck happened there??  Where are the classic pleats and shell/sweater tops??  Now most of cheer uniforms look like basic tight minis girls would wear to the mall...And then even some of those skirts HAVE SHORTS underneath!!!  WHere are the "spankies" and "bloomers"??  Sorry..had to vent...as a fan of fun fashions...esp dresses and skirts...I had to get that off my chest!  Soooo...to sum it up...I applaud the return of circle-cut...billowy skirts...but lets get rid of these boring cheer uniforms and go back to the way they USED to be...REAL cheerleading uniforms!!   Hey..Halloween is coming up...now I have some ideas...

Ha! Here, here...I was so girl back then!!!!!!

But, I must admit that I wear skorts......... :-[

Written By: ADH13 on 10/06/05 at 12:49 am

I hate wearing dresses and skirts.  I wear jeans and tennis shoes whenever possible.  If there is a special occasion such as a wedding or evening party, of course I will dress up.. but I am not the type to wear skirts and dresses to the mall, to work, etc.

Written By: Australian80sChild on 10/06/05 at 1:35 am

why do you hate them? :'(

Written By: drewbru on 10/06/05 at 7:53 am

I confess that being a guy, I know almost nothing about women's fashions.  However, I do know that girls back in the 80's seemed to dress much more attractively than they do today.  On Tuesday night, I watched "The Karate Kid" on TV.  Elisabeth Shue's outfits were very 1984, and she looked very nice.  The next day, I was walking to lunch in the Houston downtown tunnel system, and I saw a pair of teenage girls dressed in Britney Spears, "skank-style" clothing.  Ugh!  Even though 80's fashion was often outrageous, at least it was tasteful (I know that's a bit of a contradiction, but there you have it).  Why can't girls today understand that while the Britney look might get you attention, it won't get you respect, and it makes them look LESS attractive?

Written By: Australian80sChild on 10/06/05 at 3:01 pm

i still think it's tragic that so many hate dresses and skirts - logically you'd figure we'd want to keep them not junk them...

Check for new replies or respond here...