inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question about Joni Mitchell

Written By: ramonjet on 10/07/05 at 12:45 am

I seem to remember watching one of those MEGA concerts in early to mid 80's (maybe it was LIVE AID?) where Joni Mitchell appeared in place of previously announced act only to be booed and having things thrown her way. She was "miked" as she moved off stage and I heard her say something like "I don't have to take this S*#t"

Anyone else remember this happening???

Subject: Re: Question about Joni Mitchell

Written By: bj26 on 10/07/05 at 8:01 am

I seem to remember watching one of those MEGA concerts in early to mid 80's (maybe it was LIVE AID?) where Joni Mitchell appeared in place of previously announced act only to be booed and having things thrown her way. She was "miked" as she moved off stage and I heard her say something like "I don't have to take this S*#t"

I've been listening to Joni Mitchell for many years and I believe she was at her finest from the late 60s to mid-70s.  I bought a later album, maybe from the 80s or 90s, and she really didn't have the serene voice of her best years (60s -70s).  I don't kow if she'd be booed for not sounding so great in the 80s, but maybe that's why she got booed.  She had some issues in recent times and I think she stated that she would never perform again.  Hope this helps you!

Written By: ramonjet on 10/07/05 at 11:50 am

I've been listening to Joni Mitchell for many years and I believe she was at her finest from the late 60s to mid-70s.  I bought a later album, maybe from the 80s or 90s, and she really didn't have the serene voice of her best years (60s -70s).  I don't kow if she'd be booed for not sounding so great in the 80s, but maybe that's why she got booed.  She had some issues in recent times and I think she stated that she would never perform again.  Hope this helps you!
Thanx for the info, If I remember right she was booed because she was replacing a heavy metal act that for what ever reason didn't show so I think the crowd just didn't approve of Joni's style of music

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/05 at 12:18 pm

Thanx for the info, If I remember right she was booed because she was replacing a heavy metal act that for what ever reason didn't show so I think the crowd just didn't approve of Joni's style of music
I would give an arm and a leg to see her perform.

Written By: ramonjet on 10/08/05 at 1:28 am

I liked joni's bit in the LAST WALTZ and also her MILES OF AISLES album with Tom Scott and Friends :)

Written By: Andy on 06/24/12 at 6:28 am

I remember this (somewhat) clearly. All of the acts were given time to do 2 or 3 songs and everyone performed a quick "hits" set. As I recall, Joni played some obscure music from her Charles Mingus inspired Jazz repertoire and the crowd just wasn't having any of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...