inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Wearing shorts over sweatpants

Written By: Kenosha on 10/07/05 at 8:24 am

If I remember correctly didn't we were shorts over sweatpants in the 80's?
The reason I bring this up is because I went to pick up my 13 yr old daughter from school and I saw some kids wearing shorts over their pants. Not sweat pants but jeans. It just reminded me of that trend.

Subject: Re: Wearing shorts over sweatpants

Written By: drewbru on 10/07/05 at 9:07 am

The reason I bring this up is because I went to pick up my 13 yr old daughter from school and I saw some kids wearing shorts over their pants. Not sweat pants but jeans. It just reminded me of that trend.

Hmmmm....I don't remember seeing this in the 80's.  Of course, I grew up in Houston, where the year-round hot, humid weather would make this outfit extremely uncomfortable.  I don't recall seeing any characters from 80's movies wearing this combination, either.

Written By: Kenosha on 10/07/05 at 9:17 am

I just remembered an example. Josh Brolin's character in "The Goonies" was wearing shorts over his sweatpants.

Written By: drewbru on 10/07/05 at 10:27 am

I just remembered an example. Josh Brolin's character in "The Goonies" was wearing shorts over his sweatpants.

Good catch, Kenosha!  I'd forgotten about The Goonies.  Need to re-watch it -- I bought it on DVD for my kids, but haven't seen this movie in at least 20 years.

Written By: robby76 on 10/07/05 at 11:06 am

I remember shorts over sweatpants... it was kinda early 80's. And yes the guy from Goonies sprang straight to mind.

Written By: Kenosha on 10/07/05 at 11:37 am

I actually watched it again about 3 or 4 days ago. Still a good movie. I try to push 80's movies on my kids. Of course they love the John Hughes movies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/05 at 11:40 am

Are there any pictures describing exactly what you are asking here?

Written By: drewbru on 10/07/05 at 12:01 pm

I actually watched it again about 3 or 4 days ago. Still a good movie. I try to push 80's movies on my kids. Of course they love the John Hughes movies.

I'm glad to hear that your kids enjoy the John Hughes movies.  That's something I've been wondering recently:  would teenagers today enjoy his films and be able to relate to them, or would they dismiss them as being hopelessly outdated?

Written By: Chasey on 10/07/05 at 3:59 pm

I remember doing it....briefly (pardon the pun)  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...