inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Back To The Future

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 10/07/05 at 2:52 pm

Watched Back To The Future on TV last night. It had been years since I last saw it. Corny and cheesey as it may be, you have gotta love that movie! It is soooo 80s! And Michael J Fox really was cute.:)

Subject: Re: Back To The Future

Written By: drewbru on 10/07/05 at 3:01 pm

Watched Back To The Future on TV last night. It had been years since I last saw it. Corny and cheesey as it may be, you have gotta love that movie! It is soooo 80s! And Michael J Fox really was cute.:)

I also love this movie!  Can't comment on Michael J. Fox, b/c I'm a guy, but his girlfriend Jennifer sure was a hottie.  The movie also captures the spirit of the 80's.  So many good quotes, too:

"Hello, McFly, anybody home?"

"What do you keep calling me Calvin?" -- "Because it's written on your underwear"

"You're a slacker, McFly"

"You built a time machine...out of a DeLorean?"

"What are reruns?" -- "You'll find out"

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/05 at 3:10 pm

I love Back to the Future.  I've seen this movie so many times, I know nearly all the dialogue word for word  :)

"Why don't you make like a tree and get outta here"
"That's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship"

I loved how Michael J. Fox played almost his whole family in the trilogy:

Himself
His son Marty McFly Jr.
His daughter Marlene McFly
His Great Grandfather Shamus McFly

and how Thomas F. Wilson played Biff, Young Biff from 1955, Old Biff from the Future, his grandson Griff and his great great grandfather Buford "Maddog" Tannen  ;D

"Mad Dog.  I hate that name"

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/07/05 at 3:15 pm

I can't believe someone starts a thread on this and it isn't me. ;D

I wouldn't call it corny or cheesy in the least. Part I although, is a bit more "80s" than the sequels, just in terms of fashions and overall "feel". Even though the central point in the whole Trilogy is 1985, Part 1 shows it more. Part II was made in 1989 and III in 1990, so even if it's still 1985, it's presented in a more "late 80's" sense than "pure 80's".

But I think the story itself is relateable on all levels. Wanting to change something in your personal past, seeing your parents at a younger age and realizing everyone is more alike than it would seem.

Written By: drewbru on 10/07/05 at 3:43 pm

But I think the story itself is relateable on all levels. Wanting to change something in your personal past, seeing your parents at a younger age and realizing everyone is more alike than it would seem.

I agree, Marty McFly.  It's always nice to see a movie that is not only entertaining, but contains universal truths that everyone can relate to (and don't forget about the desire to see one's enemies receive their just deserts, i.e. Biff's car hitting the truck full of manure  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/07/05 at 3:45 pm

^ Or ended up a dork/semi loser in the new, happy 1985, while George gets to boss him around. Loved that the first time I saw it. ;D

Of course, that has its consequences. By 2015, he's a grumpy old man again.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/07/05 at 7:37 pm

I like the first Back To The Future, it's my favorite!  ;D

"Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain."

You gonna order something, kid?
Ah, yeah... Give me a Tab.
Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.
Alright, give me a Pepsi Free.
You want a Pepsi, PAL, you're gonna pay for it.

Then tell me, "Future Boy", who's President in the United States in 1985?
Ronald Reagan.
Ronald Reagan? The actor?
Then who's VICE-President? Jerry Lewis?

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/05 at 10:06 pm

I love all the little changes in the background that happens like how the Twin Pines Mall becomes the Lone Pine Mall cause when Marty arrives in 1955, he drives down one of Old Man Peabody's Pine Trees  ;D

Or how in Part III, Clayton Revine becomes Eastwood Revine  ;D

Written By: deancamaro on 10/08/05 at 2:23 am

BTTF is my best film I like michael j fox  and his all films

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/08/05 at 4:57 am

Part II was made in 1989 and III in 1990,

Actually thats when they were released - but in fact they were all filmed back to back in the same year so that MJF didnt age during the film and its sequals.

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/08/05 at 7:00 am

I wouldn't call it corny or cheesy in the least. Part I although, is a bit more "80s" than the sequels, just in terms of fashions and overall "feel". Even though the central point in the whole Trilogy is 1985, Part 1 shows it more. Part II was made in 1989 and III in 1990, so even if it's still 1985, it's presented in a more "late 80's" sense than "pure 80's".

Totally agreed Marty, it's not even the slightest bit cheesy. It's actually a fantastic movie. To be honest it doesn't even look dated or like it was made in 1985 like most movies made that year (not that that is a bad thing at all).
80smuzichead is obviously Australian, because it was on TV yesturday night over here. It was great, didn't even have to go & rent a movie, me & my girlfriend just ordered in, kicked back & had a few Wild Turkeys. 

Written By: OliverDK on 10/08/05 at 8:17 am

I've loved BTTF since it came out, and I'm lucky enough that I got a collector's edition containing all three movies, my best memory was the day before BTTF III came out, my local cinema decided to make an event of it, showing all three movies in one evening, the cinema was full of celebrities as well as ordinary people, all in all a cool night.

The guy I went to the event with was one of my oldest friends, unfortunetly he died five years ago, so now I can't watch BTTF without thinking about him.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/08/05 at 8:36 am

I always got the feeling that Part II and III were kinda laughing at the 80s, just because they were both made around 1989 and 1990.  It was still the 80s, but the decade was ending and there was this attitude of, "man the 80s were fun but pretty stupid too huh?" 

There were so many 80s jokes in Part II and III.  Those two movies had this vibe of "hey these are the 80s!", kinda the way That 80s Show or The Wedding Singer presented themselves, instead of the more natural, more real way Part I was.  The first movie wasn't so damn self aware of itself that it was part of 80s culture, it just was a movie that started out taking place in 1985 and that was it.

Plus Michael J. Fox was like 23, 24 years old when he filmed Part I, he could still believably act like a teenager in a very natural way, and he still looked like one.  The other two movies he was around 27-29, and being in his late 20s made all the difference in the world.  In those films he came across like a 28 year old pretending to be a teenager.    

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/08/05 at 9:03 am

^ Or ended up a dork/semi loser in the new, happy 1985, while George gets to boss him around. Loved that the first time I saw it. ;D

Of course, that has its consequences. By 2015, he's a grumpy old man again.

It seemed like in 2015 when Biff was an old man, he finally grew some brains.  But it didn't do him much good, so he became a sour old fart.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/08/05 at 11:11 am

^ True. The only area of wisdom Old Biff seemed to get was that I got the feeling he was ashamed of his past self. 77 year old Biff has this feeling of disgust when he's interacting with 17 year old Biff, trying to convince him of the almanac, etc.

Other than that, though, he probably got grumpy and bitter because he didn't have the life he wanted to.

I always got the feeling that Part II and III were kinda laughing at the 80s, just because they were both made around 1989 and 1990.  It was still the 80s, but the decade was ending and there was this attitude of, "man the 80s were fun but pretty stupid too huh?" 

There were so many 80s jokes in Part II and III.  Those two movies had this vibe of "hey these are the 80s!", kinda the way That 80s Show or The Wedding Singer presented themselves, instead of the more natural, more real way Part I was.  The first movie wasn't so damn self aware of itself that it was part of 80s culture, it just was a movie that started out taking place in 1985 and that was it.

Yeah. Alot of people, I've noticed, say Part 1 is "cheesy" or "dated" and that's probably why. Parts II and III had more of a sense of humor on it perhaps. Marty's life preserver vest, for instance, does make it seem more vintage 1985.

The sequels still take place in 1985, but tend to de-emphasize that.

Plus Michael J. Fox was like 23, 24 years old when he filmed Part I, he could still believably act like a teenager in a very natural way, and he still looked like one.  The other two movies he was around 27-29, and being in his late 20s made all the difference in the world.  In those films he came across like a 28 year old pretending to be a teenager.   

I've often said that too. :)

Aside from just getting 4 or 5 years older, so much seemed to have changed in MJ's life. He now was a worldwide celebrity, he'd gotten married and his son Sam, was born around the time he was shooting Parts II and III.

He was definitely more of a "grown up" by then. Although he always kinda had that "eternal teenage" personality (even today he's like that), it still wasn't quite the same when he was pushing 30.

Written By: Australian80sChild on 10/08/05 at 1:10 pm

TV/movie thinking seems to be that anyone can play a teen as long as their own kids havent graduated yet - at least Claudia was really a teen in BtTF AFAIR

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/05 at 1:13 pm

It often confused me as to why they switched Jennifers.  In the first one, Jennifer was played by actress Claudia Wells.  In the two sequels, it was Elisabeth Shue (Whom I thought did a better job in the role)

I remember the hype over Part II .. everyone wondering is this really what the future is going to be like?  I love how Spielberg spoofed himself with the 3-D Jaws thing.  What was it, Jaws Part 52 or something like that?  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/08/05 at 1:15 pm

^ Claudia had personal problems at the time (they've never said precisely what, which I respect), that's why Liz Shue replaced her in II and III. On that note, I really wish they'd written her into the script a bit more, instead of just "disposing" of her by having Doc knock her out in 2015.

As much as I love these movies, that's one of the few gripes I have with them. Glad to see I'm not in the minority of those who really like the "new 1985" Jennifer. ;)

I always got the feeling Bob Gale & Robert Zemeckis didn't like the character. If you notice in the commentaries and such, they always refer to her as "the girlfriend".

On the age thing, Claudia Wells was born in 1966, so she was 18 or 19 when Part 1 was filmed. Jennifer was 17, so she was a teeny bit older, but still technically a teenager.

As for who plays a teen, I think the person just has to look young enough to pull it off. Everyone is different. I mean, I've seen some real life 17 and 18 year old dudes that wouldn't look convincing playing people their own age in a movie, and yet there's guys like Alan Ruck, who was 30 in 1986 when he played Ferris Bueller's friend Cameron.

I was shocked when I found that out 'cause I figured he wouldn't have been more than 21 or 22 in RL at the time.

Written By: drewbru on 10/08/05 at 1:43 pm

As for who plays a teen, I think the person just has to look young enough to pull it off. Everyone is different. I mean, I've seen some real life 17 and 18 year old dudes that wouldn't look convincing playing people their own age in a movie, and yet there's guys like Alan Ruck, who was 30 in 1986 when he played Ferris Bueller's friend Cameron.

I was shocked when I found that out 'cause I figured he wouldn't have been more than 21 or 22 in RL at the time.

Cripes!  I had no idea that Alan Ruck was 30 when he played Cameron!  You'd never know it from his appearance or mannerisms in that movie.

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/05 at 1:43 pm

Do you guys remember the short-lived Back to the Future cartoon that came on in the 90's?

I think I saw every episode of it :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/08/05 at 2:16 pm

I like the first Back To The Future, it's my favorite!  ;D

"Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain."

You gonna order something, kid?
Ah, yeah... Give me a Tab.
Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.
Alright, give me a Pepsi Free.
You want a Pepsi, PAL, you're gonna pay for it. ;DHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..LOL..I forgot how funny that was!!

Then tell me, "Future Boy", who's President in the United States in 1985?
Ronald Reagan.
Ronald Reagan? The actor?
Then who's VICE-President? Jerry Lewis?

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/08/05 at 9:22 pm

^ True. The only area of wisdom Old Biff seemed to get was that I got the feeling he was ashamed of his past self. 77 year old Biff has this feeling of disgust when he's interacting with 17 year old Biff, trying to convince him of the almanac, etc.

Other than that, though, he probably got grumpy and bitter because he didn't have the life he wanted to.

Yeah. Alot of people, I've noticed, say Part 1 is "cheesy" or "dated" and that's probably why. Parts II and III had more of a sense of humor on it perhaps. Marty's life preserver vest, for instance, does make it seem more vintage 1985.

The sequels still take place in 1985, but tend to de-emphasize that.

I also think a lot of people born after 1981 were probably exposed to BTTF Part II and III, as well as the early 90s Saturday morning cartoon before they saw Part I.  I always get that feeling from talking to kids about the BTTF films, they saw the films in reverse, so they approach Part I with the attitude of "hey why doesn't it sync in more with II and III?", instead of the other way around.

If you look at the films though, Part II and III are the films that are more unrealistic and cheesy then Part I.  The Marty of the first film acted like a real person, in the sequels he suddenly gets super offended everytime someone calls him "chicken".  That's pretty fake to me.

I gotta disagree with all of you guys about Jennifer.  I prefered the original Jennifer played by Claudia Wells.  Elisabeth Shue is a great actress, but she overacted the part.  Marty and Jennifer both changed in behavior in the sequels.

Written By: OliverDK on 10/08/05 at 10:41 pm

I gotta disagree with all of you guys about Jennifer.  I prefered the original Jennifer played by Claudia Wells.  Elisabeth Shue is a great actress, but she overacted the part.

I agree completely with you on that one Chris, I too prefer Claudia Wells as Jennifer.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/08/05 at 11:46 pm

I remember seeing the second installment of "Back to the Future" at our new theatre in 1989. I was bored to tears (I was only seven!). But, when I saw it again a few years later, I really enjoyed it! I also saw the third one in 1990, and for some reason that one clicked better for me at the age I saw it. I liked the western theme.

Wasn't one of the best quotes in the film when Marty McFly would say, "Don't Call me CHICKEN!" I loved that!

Written By: BCRichrocker on 10/09/05 at 5:01 pm

I  gotta disagree with all of you guys about Jennifer.  I prefered the original Jennifer played by Claudia Wells.

I agree with this also.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/09/05 at 7:37 pm

I remember seeing "Back To The Future" in the theater when it first came out. Definitely one of the best movies of the 1980's. The best part about seeing it in the theater was how the whole audience cheered when George McFly finally snapped and cold-cocked Biff.

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/05 at 11:40 pm

Did anyone notice this error in the movie ... when Marty goes back to 1955 and looks for Doc's number in the phone book, they are all modern day phone numbers.  In those days, they used phone numbers like "Beechwood 4-5789"

Check for new replies or respond here...