inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: lesser 80's glam bands

Written By: dodge_warlock440 on 10/14/05 at 12:58 am

I was going through some old cd's and i found a couple that I forgot how freaking awesome they were.  Anyone remember Blue Murder.  Valley of the Kings was an awesome song on that album.  Bad 4 Good was another cd, it was a teenage metal band with Thomas McRocklin, a guitar prodigy at the time, that album was produced by Steve Vai.

Subject: Re: lesser 80's glam bands

Written By: Kenosha on 10/14/05 at 8:17 am

I had the Blue Murder tape. I love the song "Jelly Roll". John Sykes, the lead singer, used to be in Whitesnake.
I wouldn't place them in the glam band category though. Im my opinion they were very underated.

Written By: Kenosha on 10/14/05 at 8:24 am

Ok, this got me thinking. Does anyone remember Salty Dog? Salty Dog had a song called "Come Along"
Another band was GUN. They had a really good song called "Better Days". I think both of these bands came out in 1989.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 10/15/05 at 5:38 am

Anyone remember Britny Fox? :D

Written By: Dagwood on 10/15/05 at 4:48 pm

Love Britny Fox.

Written By: whistledog on 10/15/05 at 5:13 pm

I remember Britny Fox.  Their 1988 hit "Long Way to Love" was the 2nd least successful hit in America of the 80's.  I really like the tune :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/05 at 11:33 pm

Anyone remember Britny Fox? :D

I thought Britny Fox was one of those biker bands, like Steel Breeze or Vandenburg.
???

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/16/05 at 12:11 am

I'm a moderate fan of hair metal, so I gotta comment. :D

First off, I think there's different categories of hair metal bands. The BIG big ones would be, say Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and 80's Aerosmith. Basically everyone has heard of them, and probably at least one or two songs (many of them crossed over to the pop charts, especially with power ballads).

Then, there's a ton of second tier acts that had sizabke hits, but weren't really popular outside of the genre or the 80's itself. Whitesnake, Quiet Riot, Poison, Ratt and Twisted Sister come to mind.

As far as rare ones, I'd say Danger Danger would be a top choice - they had the image and lyrics of a late 80's inoffensive cookie cutter hairmetal band, but more the sound of early 80's pop-rock AOR bands like Foreigner or Survivor. I love "Rock America" off their debut album, as generic as it appears.

Another band I'm disappointed didn't become a household name (though they are semi well known) is Skid Row. Their debut album just rocks! Definitely harder than their contemporaries, but also catchy with great playing, and every song was distinguishable from each other. They just came along too late to really indent the genre, though they did get rougher in the 90's - this caused them to kinda survive the grunge era, at least in comparison to the other bands.

Sebastian Bach still performs as a solo artist and frequently appears on VH1 specials - he's an awesome guy that still largely has his teenage/tough guy rocker persona (even if he's settled down with a family now).

Honorable mentions: Black & Blue, Y&T, Autograph.

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/16/05 at 8:08 am

I'm a moderate fan of hair metal, so I gotta comment. :D

First off, I think there's different categories of hair metal bands. The BIG big ones would be, say Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and 80's Aerosmith. Basically everyone has heard of them, and probably at least one or two songs (many of them crossed over to the pop charts, especially with power ballads).

Then, there's a ton of second tier acts that had sizabke hits, but weren't really popular outside of the genre or the 80's itself. Whitesnake, Quiet Riot, Poison, Ratt and Twisted Sister come to mind.

Actually Poison Whitesnake, Quiet Riot, Ratt and Twisted Sister were all highly successful, well known & popular bands during the 80s & Aerosmith was really just a hard rock band that started out in the 70s & not really a hair band. I  Really wouldn't call any of the the bands in the second list second tier bands. There were definitly a hell of a lot more lesser known glam bands that you probably could pass off as second tier bands though. I kinda hear what you're saying though.
I think a lot of people can unfairly categorize a whole gammit of bands as "hair bands" though. Take my girlfriend's friend for instance. We were discussing music a while back & she made the annoyingly ignorant comment of how much she hates all those hair bands like Iron Maiden & Megadeth, which at this point i was already rolling my eyes. Anyway she's into the new breed of try hard mainstream bands like Dimmu Borgir (think Hellboy if you don't know who they are) trying to pass themselves off as black metal that a lot of the baby try hard goths & the trend metal fans are into. You know & all that stuff that's supposedly progressive &/or ambient aswell ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...