inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Genesis [Spin-offs and solo artists]

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/05 at 5:56 pm

GTR was formed by Steve Hackett.  They had a popular 1986 hit called When the Heart Rules the Mind and a minor 1986 hit called The Hunter

Tony Banks released a solo album in 1979 called "A Curious Feeling".  It reached #21 on the UK charts

Mike Rutherford released two albums in the 80's:  "Smallcreep's Day" (1980) and "Acting Very Strange" (1982).  His 1982 hit Maxine went top 40 for us Canadians

Steve Hackett as a solo artist had 6 UK chart albums from 1977-1983

Subject: Re: Genesis [Spin-offs and solo artists]

Written By: gord on 10/14/05 at 7:19 pm

I like old Genesis alot, after their 1980 album 'Duke' they kinda lost it for me. I liked Phil fronting them as much as their earlier yrs with Gabriel. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/05 at 7:24 pm

Peter Gabriel.
Don't waste my time with any of those others!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/14/05 at 11:07 pm

Phil Collins. Yes, I like his songs. So what?

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/14/05 at 11:14 pm

Phil Collins closely followed by Peter Gabriel  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/15/05 at 12:37 pm

Phil Collins without even having to think.

I love both his solo career and Genesis songs in the 80's - the man is like the king of happy pop/rock, and that's just what I like. :)

While they were kinda similar, he still did songs with the band that varied from his solo work. For instance, the extended version of "Tonight Tonight Tonight" or the two part "Domino" had progressive roots, and he also rocked a little harder on songs like "Just a Job To Do".

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/05 at 12:37 pm

It has to be M1ke + The MeChaN1C5

Written By: Chasey on 10/19/05 at 4:54 pm

Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford were both very talented musicians.  Collins may not be everyones cup of tea, personally or musically, but 'In The Air Tonight' is a classic....and heck, it made superstars out of Don Johnson and Miami Vice!

Peter Gabriel was the weakest solo member during the 80's in my opinion - he just didn't cut the mustard for me.  After the brilliant 'Games Without Frontiers', he ended up doing some really mundane dross like Sledgehammer (which to this day has to be the most overrated and overplayed song of the decade).

Thank goodness he got back on track during the 90's.

Written By: robby76 on 09/18/06 at 8:55 pm

I voted Mike & The Mechanics many months ago.

However looking back, poor Phil Collins gets a lot of slack. I will always love him for "Something Happened on The Way To Heaven" and "Jesus He Loves Me". Please tell me they weren't both done with Genesis.  ;D

I do like Mike & The Mechanics though. "Over My Shoulder" was great, as were their 80s hits.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/19/06 at 9:16 am

Once again, this is simply impossible for me to answer.

I grew to love Genesis in the Peter Gabriel era.  Yet, I also loved them after Peter left and Phil Collins took over.  And I also love both Peter and Phil as solo artists as well.

Genesis changed greatly when Phil took over.  Much like Pink Floyd changed after Syd Barret left the group.  If anything, their songs became more political and socially conscious when Phil took over.  How many other rock groups took on Nuclear Disarmament, homelessness, and immoral TV preachers?

And Peter took off in a totally different direction, with songs like Sledgehammer and Big Time.

Check for new replies or respond here...