inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Friday The 13th

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/16/05 at 7:45 pm

Who likes the Friday The 13th series?  They are cheesy, but that what makes them fun to watch!  ;D

My favorite is part 6, least favorite part 7.

Subject: Re: Friday The 13th

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/16/05 at 8:04 pm

I guess you are talking about the movies, which I didn't really care for all that much.  I'm not a big fan of scary movies.  I'm such a chicken.

But there was also a television series called "Friday the 13thhttp://www.tv.com/friday-the-13th-the-series/show/2468/summary.html" which had nothing to do with Jason or the camp at Crystal Lake.  I liked that alot. 

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/05 at 8:09 pm

I never liked the films that much.  Being that my name is Jason, I heard all the jokes when I was little  ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 10/16/05 at 9:20 pm

The first one was best. The one that didn't even have Jason in it. But up until Part 4 they were all passable. Pt 8 is the worst. Jason vs. Freddy was a riot! I love that film.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/16/05 at 11:05 pm

Honestly, I didn't get into this series like I did with the Nightmare on Elm Street ones.

I watch them though.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/17/05 at 12:38 am

I liked the 1st and the 2nd... They are CHEESY FUN>...  The rest I thought were AWFUL.....  DID U SEE JASON 10??????????  MAN, DID THAT STINK :o

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/17/05 at 7:53 am

I liked the 1st and the 2nd... They are CHEESY FUN>...  The rest I thought were AWFUL.....  DID U SEE JASON 10??????????   MAN, DID THAT STINK :o

At last, one soul out there who has the exact same opinion on the matter as myself. The first was the best, the second wasn't too bad either. The sack on the head & the way they did Jason was so much better in part 2 than the later ones. I hated that whole hockey mask thing & the way they portrayed him as some ass kicking horror super hero in the later movies, that blew dogs & is so lame. I even saw the 3rd one in 3D in the theatre which was great with the 3D, but without the 3D it sucks & really lacks something. I own a bootleg DVD of Part 3 in 3D that i bought off eBay, but i can't seem to find a pair of sequential field 3D glasses required for viewing it.  I totally agree though Jason X takes it in the poop shoot & so did that Freddy Vs Jason. Most idiotic movies ever made. They should have left it at Jason Goes To Hell & quit while they were ahead not that that one was even remotely good either. The first 2 though captured the original feel & idea of the movie & the rest were just stupid, but after part 5 when they even changed the music score & general feel of the film it really sucked major ass & just got worse after that. You're definitly talking to the right guy though i know anything & everything to do with this series even trivial little things. You can all quiz me if you like & i garantee you will have a hard time finding question i can't answer. Hell i can even tell you the bodycount number right from part 1 to Jason Goes To Hell. And yes i do remember the Friday The 13th TV series i've seen most of the episodes. It was about an antique store that had cursed items in it. It was a slightly similar idea to the Freddy's Nightmares TV series.

Written By: TarzSp on 10/17/05 at 2:51 pm

The Best, in my opinion, is Part 3. I love the ending with the fight between the Woman and Jason in the Barn, and it was the first "Friday the 13th" Movie where Jason got his Mask

I also thought that Part 2 was a really good one.  My least favorite would probably be Part 8

Written By: Southern Image on 10/17/05 at 3:20 pm

I only like the first one. It was scary. After that, they got boring. IMO

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/23/05 at 8:53 am

I love the first 3 Friday the 13th's. The second one is my favorite. I actually am going to go to the real place that the 1st friday the 13th movie was filmed at. It is still a real life camp to this day in New Jersey. A friend of mine has been there before, and they still have the original totem pole from the movie, and she got pictures that were the exact screen shots you see in the movie.

Check out my Halloween display in my yard:

Written By: migi on 10/24/05 at 5:25 am

I liked Part 2 and 3 the best. Part 6 has the best soundtrack with Alice Cooper's He's back (The man behind the mask).

Written By: star500 on 10/24/05 at 9:18 am

I have seen this movie before. It is a good movie. Actually all of the movies are good except Jason 10. :) That was a movie the world could have done without. The 7th one was pretty bad I heard, but I haven't seen all of it so I can't say for sure. I liked Freddy vs. Jason. My mom asked one day, not realizing how funny it would sound, why isn't there a Michael vs. Jason movie? The answer is because neither of them can talk! ;D

Written By: Tia on 10/24/05 at 9:29 am

i got a big kick out of the first two. (word of warning -- i have sorta deliberately horrid taste in movies.) after that they sorta went downhill.

i remember the corner theater used to have F13 triple features when i was in high school, those were fun. that whole splatter thing was such a huge craze in the early 80s, in retrospect i'm really not sure why.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/05 at 9:54 am

It was cheap, easy to make (sort of), and then there's the audience that goes for bloody and gore.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/05 at 9:55 am

I liked Part 2 and 3 the best. Part 6 has the best soundtrack with Alice Cooper's He's back (The man behind the mask).

That's why I like part 6 as well!  ;D

Written By: Tia on 10/24/05 at 10:47 am

i got off the F13 train after part iii, didn't even see the others. back in those days it seemed really weird, at least to me, to have more than two sequels. i mean afte you've done a trilogy it started seeming redundant. and anyway by then nightmare on elm street had come along and took the cool-horror-movie baton.

Written By: Carl on 10/24/05 at 11:17 am

'The Final Chapter' SHOULD have been the last, but they couldn't resist of course, so part V was no suprise. Part 3 (3-D at the time) was okay, the 2nd was good, and the first is always a classic.

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/05 at 11:17 am

It was cheap, easy to make (sort of), and then there's the audience that goes for bloody and gore.

I remember laughing my head off.  On one of the earlier ones, when Jason throws some girl through a door, it rips apart like paper  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/05 at 11:49 am

I remember laughing my head off.  On one of the earlier ones, when Jason throws some girl through a door, it rips apart like paper  ;D

;D

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/30/05 at 5:49 am

I love the first 3 Friday the 13th's. The second one is my favorite. I actually am going to go to the real place that the 1st friday the 13th movie was filmed at. It is still a real life camp to this day in New Jersey. A friend of mine has been there before, and they still have the original totem pole from the movie, and she got pictures that were the exact screen shots you see in the movie.

I believe that's Camp Nobie Bosco. Don't know if that's the correct spelling though, but hey you can cut me some slack on that 'cause i'm from Australia  & not the U.S.

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/30/05 at 6:46 am

Sorry folks but i hated part 6. I think that's the one were they started to try make the movie hip (at the time) with a soundtrack & that rocker kid in it & all. Like these days there's nothin worse than them having to through in at least one (& sometimes more) hipster jive a** hiphop guy just to intice a youth audience. Like just the other night i came home from a friend's house & Halloween Resurection was on TV & my reaction was "what the hell is this total sh!t", which is my usual reaction to just about everything on TV these days. Then i was shocked to find it was a Halloween movie. It looked more like a cross between something trying to use the Big Brother reality TV clitche' crossed with a really crap modern teen oriented teen marketed movie trying to be edgy.
Basically there's only so much you can do with vague sketch of a story that's only usually made for one film & possibly a sequel. That's why the more sequels they do, the worse they get. I mean how far can you really take a story before you go too far?  It's basically a cash cow, trying to make a buck while floggin a dead horse.
That Freddy Vs Jason was the stupidest, idiotic, most braindead concept i'd ever heard of in my life & possibly one of the worst horror movies (if you could call it that) ever right next to Jason X. They really know how to bastardise & destroy the original concepts behind classic or iconic films these days don't they. It's funny though, when i bad mouthed the Freddy VS Jason film on the Friday 13th site i was practically ostrisized. Why do people actually like that completly retarded movie & have a soft spot for it? One answer someone gave me was because it's fun. Hmmmm fun, really?  Could have fooled me. I snuck in & saw it for free back when it came out & all i can say is i want a refund on that hour & a half of my life. Lamest most childish piece of crap, i wouldn't be surprised if they actually did get a little kid to come up with the concept. Give me part 1 & 2 over that garbage any day, however outdated they may look or however daggy some snotty nosed teen might think they are these days.

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/05 at 1:23 pm

A brilliant soundtrack.  8)

The best is definitely Part 6: Jason Lives.

Written By: Loven1 on 10/31/05 at 1:59 am

The first two Friday the 13ths were OK.  What I've seen of the other ones is crap.

I always liked the original Halloween better than any of the Friday the 13th movies.

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 6:54 am

oh, yeah, halloween was definitely better. so was nightmare on elm street. friday the 13th was more like junk food. can't deny it started a real phenom though...

don't forget candyman! i think that might have been early 90s but that was a pretty good spooky mad-slasher movie. helluva lot better than that "chucky" crap, anyhow...

Written By: star500 on 10/31/05 at 9:35 am

I didn't really like the Friday the 13th movies all that much. The only one I somewhat liked was the first one. I didn't like #3 at all because of the 3-D effects. I didn't really like any of them after #1 but I really didn't #3.

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 9:52 am

part ii was my favorite. the weirdo jason shack with the shrine in it! spooky.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/31/05 at 12:18 pm

The 3-D effects in part three, reminded me of Dr. Tongue's 3-D movies on SCTV!  ::)  ;D

http://www.geocities.com/sctvman/cap024.jpg

My favorite....

Dr Tongue's 3D House of Cats  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 11/01/05 at 3:30 am

The first two Friday the 13ths were OK.  What I've seen of the other ones is crap.

I always liked the original Halloween better than any of the Friday the 13th movies.

Halloween was much more effective (crap ending though  ;D).

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/01/05 at 10:04 am

A brilliant soundtrack.  8)

The best is definitely Part 6: Jason Lives.

Don't get me wrong i like rock & rock related horror movies like Trick Or Treat etc, but when it came to the Fri 13ths they should have stuck to making just a horror movie & the basic formula rather that trying to hype up the series & Jason some more & market it at a teen audience with a soundtrack & a supposedly hipper, trendier cast of teens to get slashed. The older ones were so much daggier, but so much more effective, rather than a movie that's almost a parody of itself.
Actually i have the Alice Cooper Constrictor album & i think it was the 2nd compact disc i ever bought. That Man Behind The Mask song was soooooo crap though. The song Teenage Frankenstein from earlier in the movie with to 2 teens in the mobile home was a much better song. Also Hard Rock Summer was another good Alice Cooper song featured in that movie, which i have no idea which album that came off. Over all though part 6 was a pretty sh!tty. Not as bad as the ones that came after it though. I agree with most others on here, part 1 is hands down the best with number 2 coming close second. Part 6 was the last of the R rated (in Australia) Fri 13ths though.

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/01/05 at 10:15 am

I didn't really like the Friday the 13th movies all that much. The only one I somewhat liked was the first one. I didn't like #3 at all because of the 3-D effects. I didn't really like any of them after #1 but I really didn't #3.

Yep first was the best. As for part 3, i didn't much like the movie, but i liked the 3D effects. They were unbelievable & looked really good, not like the crappy Freddy's Dead scam rip off 3D at the last 15 minutes of the movie, which wasn't even 3D. I felt so ripped off. Whereas Fri 13th Part 3 i really felt like i got my money's worth on the 3D. Real 3D effects from start to end. I mean stuff looked like it was really right there in front of my face coming right out of the screen & when he shot the girl in the eye with the harpoon & the harpoon starts coming towards the audience i moved my head & the harpoon followed. It looked great, which is more than i can say for the sh!tty Freddy 3D effects.

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/05 at 4:55 pm

My favorite is part 6, least favorite part 7.

I LOVED part 7 escpecially when Jason picked up the person in the sleeping bag and whacked it against a tree..... that's what you get for having pre-marital sex in a horror flick...especially if you have it in Jason's woods....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/05/05 at 6:48 pm

Hey kids, if ya wish to be alive in Camp Crystal Lake, no drugs, booze, and/or sex, or ya end up in a body bag!  ;D

This has been a public service announcement!  ;D

Written By: Tia on 11/05/05 at 6:53 pm

Hey kids, if ya wish to be alive in Camp Crystal Lake, no drugs, booze, and/or sex, or ya end up in a body bag!  ;D

This has been a public service announcement!  ;D

you also have to be a tomboyish girl with a gender-amiguous name. weird, that. but they did this study...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Girl

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/05/05 at 6:54 pm

LOL!!!!!

That diffenetly helped too!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 11/06/05 at 3:55 pm

Don't get me wrong i like rock & rock related horror movies like Trick Or Treat etc, but when it came to the Fri 13ths they should have stuck to making just a horror movie & the basic formula rather that trying to hype up the series & Jason some more & market it at a teen audience with a soundtrack & a supposedly hipper, trendier cast of teens to get slashed. The older ones were so much daggier, but so much more effective, rather than a movie that's almost a parody of itself.
Actually i have the Alice Cooper Constrictor album & i think it was the 2nd compact disc i ever bought. That Man Behind The Mask song was soooooo crap though. The song Teenage Frankenstein from earlier in the movie with to 2 teens in the mobile home was a much better song. Also Hard Rock Summer was another good Alice Cooper song featured in that movie, which i have no idea which album that came off. Over all though part 6 was a pretty sh!tty. Not as bad as the ones that came after it though. I agree with most others on here, part 1 is hands down the best with number 2 coming close second. Part 6 was the last of the R rated (in Australia) Fri 13ths though.

The older movies were more ragged (especially from parts 1 - 4 (not seen the fifth). I thought their lack of slickness could have added to the film but the film direction didn't work for me. I love the soundtrack - I can't help it.  ;D

What I could never really understand was, if Jason died as a kid. Why did he kill as an adult? I've probably missed something intrinsic.  ;D

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/09/05 at 2:19 am

The older movies were more ragged (especially from parts 1 - 4 (not seen the fifth). I thought their lack of slickness could have added to the film but the film direction didn't work for me. I love the soundtrack - I can't help it.  ;D

What I could never really understand was, if Jason died as a kid. Why did he kill as an adult? I've probably missed something intrinsic.  ;D

It's probably more implied & not explained that much, which is how i like it. You've gotta  remember the movie is about black Friday, a time of the year when supernatural & unexplained things are supposed to happen & it's supposed to be a time of evil. Also if you remember Camp Crystal Lake is supposed to be cursed. He kills because he wants to fullfill his neverending thirst for revenge after his mother was beheaded by a young camp councelor & because he drowned while 2 camp counsellors who were supposed to be looking after him were too busy indulging in their lust instead. This would explain his a natural hatred for camp councelors, horny teens & young people. Also the real Jason Vorhees is a an evil force that just inhabits a deformed decaying shell, which probably has to do with the Crystal Lake curse & the evil that is supposedly around on that date in particular & Friday The 13th is Jason's birthday. When they try to explain things too much in a series it usually ruins & bastardises the series. Like when they made up all that back story about Freddy having a daughter & flashbacks of being bullied at school in Freddy's Dead. Boy did that suck. I like it when they don't try to over explain it like in the first couple & it also makes it seem creepier that way. It's better when stuff is implied & left unexplained & you just assume, because it's usually a lot better in theory than when they try to actually apply it in a movie. It allows for a little mysique. That's probably why the first few were so successful to begin with & probably more so than the later ones considering the budget & the target audience.

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/09/05 at 11:01 pm

The later movies appealed to a broader audience because they weren't as full on, so even scaredy cats would go see them, they didn't have the same reputation as the first 2  movies had aquired by word of mouth as being a scary & brutal gorefest, but by the 3rd & 4th ones Freddy & Jason were a houshold name & had lost their edge by that point. That's always the way it goes the later ones always suck & they always turn the villian into a softc*ck. The way they turned Freddy into a comedian from part 3 onwards was absolutley gay. He was darkest in the 2nd one & that movie was also the darkest & most brutal even though the original was a better film. Personally i liked the feel of the second Nightmare better though, but hey that's another discussion all together.

Written By: arnbaltos on 11/10/05 at 12:43 am

The first 3 were some of the scariest movies I have ever seen.

Written By: ralfy on 08/16/16 at 11:50 am

"Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives – 30th Anniversary Interview with Director Tom McLoughlin"

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/181207/friday-13th-part-vi-jason-lives-30th-anniversary-interview-director-tom-mcloughlin/

Written By: 80sfan on 08/16/16 at 12:35 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the Friday the 13th series, but it gets no hate from me.

It's the most successful of the three movie series, Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/16/16 at 1:39 pm

My favorite Friday The 13th installment is definitely "The Final Chapter". Least favorite is Jason X.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/16 at 1:51 am

My favorite Friday The 13th installment is definitely "The Final Chapter". Least favorite is Jason X.

I don't have a favorite Friday film, I like the first 3 films equally. I also liked part 6.

I absolutely hated Jason X too. Horrible, dreadful, film.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/18/16 at 9:22 am

I don't have a favorite Friday film, I like the first 3 films equally. I also liked part 6.

I absolutely hated Jason X too. Horrible, dreadful, film.  ;D

It felt like filler for Freddy vs. Jason.

Written By: ralfy on 09/14/16 at 4:01 am

"Friday the 13th Lawsuit Looms; Trouble in Crystal Lake"

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/185353/friday-13th-lawsuit-looms-trouble-crystal-lake/

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/16/16 at 12:02 am

I prefer the second one because it features Jason. The first two meet my quota of blood and gore, so I can do without the endless sequels. I'm not the biggest fan of mad slasher movies, but I enjoy them from time to time. Sometimes, too much of a bad thing is a bad thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...