inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Burple

Written By: Kerry on 10/17/05 at 12:16 pm

I was pleased to see I was not the only one to remember Burple. I have asked many people and no one seemed to remember it. For a while I thought well maybe it was just something my mom made up for us or maybe I imagined it?!?!  :D Now I know it Does exist and not just in my mind. Now... where can I find pictures and other information about this?

Subject: Re: Burple

Written By: star500 on 10/17/05 at 12:30 pm

I was pleased to see I was not the only one to remember Burple. I have asked many people and no one seemed to remember it. For a while I thought well maybe it was just something my mom made up for us or maybe I imagined it?!?!  :D Now I know it Does exist and not just in my mind. Now... where can I find pictures and other information about this?

Well Kerry, I googled Burple and found out that Burple was a drink mix that came in an expanding container, like an accordion. It tasted like Kool-Aid and only came in one flavor (that I could see) and that was grape. After you finished drinking it, you could also turn it into a really cool squirt gun! ;D I found this information and a picture of what it looked like at Wikipedia, which is a free encyclopedia. Here is the link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burple

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/17/05 at 12:52 pm

I pretty much have an idea why it didn't catch on that well...

According to the article....

Burple was also responsible for the choking deaths of at least a handful of small children in the late 1980s.

Written By: Kerry on 10/17/05 at 2:13 pm

Well Kerry, I googled Burple and found out that Burple was a drink mix that came in an expanding container, like an accordion. It tasted like Kool-Aid and only came in one flavor (that I could see) and that was grape. After you finished drinking it, you could also turn it into a really cool squirt gun! ;D I found this information and a picture of what it looked like at Wikipedia, which is a free encyclopedia. Here is the link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burple

Thanks! I knew what it was. :) Just that no one else ever seemed to remember it. I remember it exactly... the sounds those things made drove my parents up a wall, lol ;D. we would have fun for hours. Too bad they quit making them  :-[ Oh what fun my kids would have. I wanted to see a picture of it more than anything. A few years ago I done a reasearch on here and came up with nothing other than glassware. Thanks again!

Written By: Kerry on 10/17/05 at 2:15 pm

I pretty much have an idea why it didn't catch on that well...

According to the article....

Burple was also responsible for the choking deaths of at least a handful of small children in the late 1980s.

Wonder what made them choke? hymm I've heard of something like this before... just don't remember the details. It's been such a long time.  ???

Written By: rich1981 on 10/17/05 at 4:32 pm

I remember seeing these put to use as squirt guns, but I never actually drank it. As for what made kids choke, maybe some ingredient in the drink mix? Just a guess.

Written By: strgazr on 10/17/05 at 4:47 pm

I remember seeing these put to use as squirt guns, but I never actually drank it. As for what made kids choke, maybe some ingredient in the drink mix? Just a guess.

Could be... but I wouldn't think it would be fatal. I know some flavors of kool-aid choke me... the worst I remember getting choked on as a child was those kool-aid type freeze pops.

Written By: Southern Image on 10/17/05 at 5:08 pm

Don't they drink that on Jimmy Neutron?

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 10/17/05 at 10:10 pm

Don't they drink that on Jimmy Neutron?

Thats Purple Flurp, dork.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: lupini on 02/17/08 at 3:09 pm

Yes...Burple was around in the mid 1980's.  You are correct...no one remembers it. HOWEVER...I have 3 of the bottles!! Can't believe no one is looking for them on E-bay! :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/17/08 at 11:14 pm

OMG....I totally remember Burple!! :D

Written By: kotrbach on 02/03/10 at 6:29 pm

I will bye your burple bottles!!! kotrbach@msu.edu

Yes...Burple was around in the mid 1980's.  You are correct...no one remembers it. HOWEVER...I have 3 of the bottles!! Can't believe no one is looking for them on E-bay! :D

Check for new replies or respond here...