inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who saw the actual pemier of MTV?

Written By: Carl on 10/18/05 at 10:05 am

I think it happened in March of '81, but did anyone see the actual launching of the channel? Mark Goodman was the host, first video was The Buggle's 'Video Killed The Radio Star'.

I discovered the channel in '82, and was hooked, stopped watching around '86 though.

Now, well, I won't go into it. You know how lousy it's become!!  >:(

If you want to see classic videos, tune into VH1-classics channel

Subject: Re: Who saw the actual pemier of MTV?

Written By: OliverDK on 10/18/05 at 10:46 am

I didn't see the launch myself, but I can tell you this; the first video featured on MTV was "The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star" and for MTV Europe it was "Dire Straits - Money for Nothing", just in case you wanted to know.

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/05 at 10:52 am

We never had MTV here in Canada.  Instead we got a similar channel called "Much Music".  It launched in 1984 and the very first video they played was "The Enemy Within" by Rush

Written By: TarzSp on 10/18/05 at 11:51 am

It bugs me that I don't have VH1 Classic. And I even have a Digital Box

The only Music Stations I have (other than the obvious MTV, VH1, and BET) are "Fuse", "MTV2", "MTV Hits", "VH1 Rock", "VH1 Soul", and "VH1 Country"

edit: Oh man! I just turned it on the "VH1 Rock" station and at the bottom of the screen, the little logo says "VH1 Classic"

HOORAY!  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/05 at 2:48 pm

Nope, missed it.  We didn't have cable yet.  In the early days I'd stay glued to it whenever we'd visit my grandparents...visits which would inevitably turn very boring...and I'd spend the majority of the time in the den rockin' out to MTV. 
I think the first video I saw that I liked was The Cars' "Since You're Gone," which is one of my fave Cars songs...great video too!
:)

Written By: Carl on 10/19/05 at 9:54 am

I liked that and 'Shake It Up!'

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/21/05 at 1:00 am

8) Absolutely..I saw it..I had gotten a 13 inch RED color TV for Christmas and it was The Buggles...thought they Sucked!!..but that summer we went to Florida on vacation and the condo had MTV and the first COOL video I saw was Hurts So Good ..John Cougar Mellencamp...From that time on..I was ROCKIN!!! ;D

Written By: Carl on 10/21/05 at 7:32 am

The first video I saw on MTV was J. Geils Band's 'Freeze Frame'

Written By: bj26 on 10/21/05 at 9:39 am

If memory serves, I saw a video of Johnny Cougar do, Ain't Even Done with the Night in Nov of 1980, and I haven't seen that video since; cougar did James Brown rather well; don't know if it was MTV.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 1:12 am

If memory serves, I saw a video of Johnny Cougar do, Ain't Even Done with the Night in Nov of 1980, and I haven't seen that video since; cougar did James Brown rather well; don't know if it was MTV.

November would have been about ten months before the premier of MTV, but, of course, scores of videos must have been complete in anticipation of the all-music network.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/05 at 6:29 pm

I first saw it in 1982 over at someone's house. The first video I remember seeing was The Motel's Only the Lonely.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...