inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cliff Richard (The 80's)

Written By: whistledog on 10/22/05 at 3:06 pm

My Three:

Dreaming
Give A Little Bit More
My Pretty One

Subject: Re: Cliff Richard (The 80's)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/05 at 3:23 pm

1980 - Carrie
1983 - She Means Nothing To Me
1986 - All I Ask of You

Written By: star500 on 10/22/05 at 4:29 pm

Mine are:

1) Suddenly (featuring Olivia Newton-John)
2) A Little in Love
3) My Pretty One

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/22/05 at 4:46 pm

Holy geez, I had no idea he was that popular - the only one I know really well is "We Don't Talk Anymore" (was that from 1979?).

Off this list, I heard "Dreaming" once or twice - good pop song. I also have HEARD OF "Wired for Sound".

Written By: whistledog on 10/22/05 at 5:06 pm

Holy geez, I had no idea he was that popular - the only one I know really well is "We Don't Talk Anymore" (was that from 1979?).

Off this list, I heard "Dreaming" once or twice - good pop song. I also have HEARD OF "Wired for Sound".

We Don't Talk Anymore was 1979 yes

In total, Cliff has had 123 hits in the UK from 1958-2005, all of which made the top 40

In America, he had a total of 18 hits, 9 which hit the top 40:

1959 - Living Doll (US #30)
1963 - Lucky Lips (US #62)
1963 - It's All in the Game (US #25)
1964 - I'm the Lonely One (US #99)
1968 - Congratulations (US #99)
1976 - Devil Woman (US #6)
1976 - I Can't Ask For Anymore Than You (US #80)
1977 - Don't Turn the Light Out (US #57)
1979 - We Don't Talk Anymore (US #7)
1980 - Carrie (US #34)
1980 - Dreaming (US #10)
1980 - Suddenly (US #20)
1981 - A Little in Love (US #17)
1981 - Give A Little Bit More (US #41)
1981 - Wired For Sound (US #71)
1981 - Daddy's Home (US #23)
1982 - The Only Way Out (US #64)
1983 - Never Say Die (US #73)

Written By: STAR70 on 10/22/05 at 5:43 pm

suddenly

Written By: robby76 on 10/22/05 at 9:46 pm

I completely forgot Cliff did "I Just Don't Have The Heart"... okay so it was Stock Aiken Waterman cheesey but what a feelgood song! Got my vote.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/23/05 at 1:59 am

I completely forgot Cliff did "I Just Don't Have The Heart"... okay so it was Stock Aiken Waterman cheesey but what a feelgood song! Got my vote.

hehe I was actually at the filming of the video clip in the SAW studios - complete with SAW standard dance moves etc etc. It was hilariously cheesey - but Cliff always admitted he did it as a joke - feeling that SAW were dominating the charts while EMI just kept plodding out more of his greatest hits.

Out of the 80s list its too tough for me to choose - Cliff dominated my 80s and each and every song is a favourite for a different reason.

Written By: robby76 on 10/23/05 at 5:55 am

The video? I can just imagine! I must've seen it at the time. Anyway I just heard a snippet of "Just Don't Have the Heart" from Amazon.co.uk fron his Stronger album and it still sounds great! SAW were cheesy but they wrote the catchiest most radio friendly stuff ever. Always a good hook and tune.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009L1O1/qid=1130064633/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/202-0102740-8068618

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 10/23/05 at 6:54 am

Suddenly
All I Ask  of You

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/23/05 at 3:50 pm

"Dreaming" and "Suddenly" (w/ Olivia Newton-John) got my vote!  :)

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/23/05 at 4:06 pm

*ears perk up*  CLIFF!!!!

Oh this one was very hard because there are so more than three songs I wanted to pick.  The ones I picked were:

A Little in Love (this song is the very special to me, because it's the song that got me into Cliff)
Dreaming
All I Ask of You (he was perfect with sarah Brightman)

Honorable Mentions:  Daddy's home, Suddenly (with ONJ) and Living Doll (with The Young Ones, OMFG this song is hysterical)

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/23/05 at 4:25 pm

I just couldn't resist...I HAD to vote for "Living doll". It may be cheesy (perhaps the cheesiest of them all) but I like it anyway.

And on a more serious note: I also voted for "Some people", which I think is underrated.

Written By: Paul on 10/24/05 at 6:57 am

Two from here...

'A Little In Love'

'Lean On You'

and not listed (but it's on the backside of 'Baby You're Dynamite')...'Ocean Deep' - killer lyrics...

Written By: Paul on 10/24/05 at 6:58 am

Living Doll (with The Young Ones, OMFG this song is hysterical)

It probably was back in 1986, but it's the absolute dregs of his career as far as I'm concerned (charity or not...)

But to each their own...

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/26/05 at 4:51 am

and not listed (but it's on the backside of 'Baby You're Dynamite')...'Ocean Deep' - killer lyrics...

Oh - good spotto Paul.  In the Cliff world 99% of his fans list it as their all time favourite song - we never understood why it was just a B side. When he performs it in concerts its always a masterpiece. I remember when he first used lasers in the early 80s and they made the lasers and smoke look like an ocean and he was in the middle as he sung it and then dissappeared beneath the "ocean".

The video? I can just imagine! I must've seen it at the time. Anyway I just heard a snippet of "Just Don't Have the Heart" from Amazon.co.uk fron his Stronger album and it still sounds great! SAW were cheesy but they wrote the catchiest most radio friendly stuff ever. Always a good hook and tune.

Robbie - you can picture the clip !!  You dont even have to try  !!  Two rows or gorgeous dancers - with Cliffy keeping up with them with the cheesy hilarious dancemoves !!

It probably was back in 1986, but it's the absolute dregs of his career as far as I'm concerned (charity or not...)
But to each their own...

I was initially mortified that Cliff would redo Living Doll - but I was a massive Young Ones fan so while the remake grated on my ears - I did eventually learn to love it. I can watch the clip with a fondness these days. Cliff is a fan of satirical comedy - and he loved that Rik was a Cliff fan in the show - thats why he agreed to do the song with them. But I think Vyvs "singing" damaged Cliffs ear drums for life !!!!

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 5:13 am

I voted for The Young Ones because it is hilarious.  I'm not a fan of most of his other stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...