inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Making a pair of acid-washed jeans

Written By: jayhawks044 on 10/23/05 at 10:23 pm

Anyone have any good methods on acid-washing a pair of jeans?  Going to an 80s themed party on the 28th, and I have everything but the jeans.  Help is greatly appreciated, and I did try the salvation army, but there was only a single pair there at size 50  >:(

Subject: Re: Making a pair of acid-washed jeans

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/05 at 11:52 pm

Don't use sulphuric acid, especially if you're still wearing them!
:-\\

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/24/05 at 8:19 am

try monteing them with soap then rigng dry to fit on foruth .  i wouldn'd do the dacid.  it's a lit trickie for you to pull that awff.  good luck wit it!  ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/24/05 at 8:44 am

try monteing them with soap then rigng dry to fit on foruth .  i wouldn'd do the dacid.  it's a lit trickie for you to pull that awff.  good luck wit it!   ;D

What are you on about Bill?
care to repeat please - in English.

Written By: Kenosha on 10/24/05 at 1:35 pm

try monteing them with soap then rigng dry to fit on foruth .  i wouldn'd do the dacid.  it's a lit trickie for you to pull that awff.  good luck wit it!

To quote the farmer in Napolean Dynamite:

"I don't understand a word you just said"

Written By: JamesMcDone on 10/24/05 at 4:14 pm

try monteing them with soap then rigng dry to fit on foruth .  i wouldn'd do the dacid.  it's a lit trickie for you to pull that awff.  good luck wit it!   ;D

It might be:

Try smothering them with soap then ring dry to fit on ? (I don't know what word could it be).  I wouldn't do the acid, it's a litte tricky for you to pull that off.  Good luck with it!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/24/05 at 7:02 pm

It might be:

Try smothering them with soap then ring dry to fit on ? (I don't know what word could it be).  I wouldn't do the acid, it's a litte tricky for you to pull that off.  Good luck with it!

Thanks, I think you done a good job of deciphering that sentence  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/05 at 8:08 pm

Thanks, I think you done a good job of deciphering that sentence  :D

;D

Written By: jayhawks044 on 10/24/05 at 10:28 pm

lol, thanks for the decrypting.  I've also heard of using bleach, and it appears there is another store in my area that deals in acid washed jeans.  Wish me luck.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/24/05 at 10:31 pm

If you're going to experiment, only take half a tab.
:P

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/25/05 at 11:22 am

;D

;D ;D It's true, he did!

Written By: JamesMcDone on 10/25/05 at 11:36 am

What!  I got it right?

8) :o

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 10/25/05 at 11:37 am

Just BLEACH the dang things. :D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/25/05 at 1:01 pm

Wranglers were the 'in' jeans when I was a teen and to make them lighter we used Domestos bleach diluted in the bath...and if you can let them drip dry.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/26/05 at 10:34 am

About 12 years ago, I worked at a Surplus store in LA that specialized in Levi 501xx jeans.  Those are the ones that are not pre-shrunk.  In fact, someday I may relate in here an experience I had with Val Kilmer when he wanted to buy some jeans and camping equipment.  8)

The best way I tell people to give them a faded look quickly is to do the following:

1.  Wash them in HOT water.
2.  Dry them fully (if they are not pre-shrunk.  If they are pre-shrunk, ignore this step.
3.  Wash them in hot water again.  (soap not needed)
4.  Wash them in hot water, adding ¼ cup liquid bleach.  (soap not needed)
5.  Wash them in hot water.  (soap not needed)

Repeat steps 4-5 until you get the look you want.  Then wash them at least 1 more time to make sure all the bleach is out.  Normally 1-3 times through this will get them they way you like, without the damage done by "acid".

And use real liquid bleach.  One poor guy I told this to said he washed them 10 times and did not fade.  WHen I asked what he used, he told me "Chlorox 3".  It was hard to not laugh at him when I explained that is a color safe bleach, and will not fade them no matter what.

Written By: jayhawks044 on 10/26/05 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for the step-by-step Mushroom just what I needed. ;D  I'm one of those people that needs steps or i freak out.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/26/05 at 1:53 pm

Thanks for the step-by-step Mushroom just what I needed. ;D  I'm one of those people that needs steps or i freak out.

Any time.  :)

Levi makes their jeans in 3 different "fades".

Original is when you buy them with "new" colors.  That is how they all start.

"Stone Washed" is the semi-faded look.  They will get that way after 5-10 washes naturally.

"Acid Washed" is when they are super-faded.  This is the look after a year or so of wear and washing.

I prefer the "Stone Washed" look myself.  Simply washing them in hot a few times will get them to that stage quickly.

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/05 at 5:47 pm

Thank you Bill,  Baboushka, Kenosha, TheDarkOne, and MaxwellSmart for giving me the best laugh I have had in years... maybe the pills were so good he couldn't come back to redeem himself but YOU GUYS....OMG GOD my chest hurts I was laughing so hard 

Written By: pammo on 11/20/05 at 11:41 pm

My older cousings used to put their jeans in the pool for days to get the chlorine to do the job! This was in the 70's.

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/21/05 at 7:49 am

Bleaching them yourself won't work. acid wash is done in a controlled manner. Bleaching them yourself is more of a oi punk/skinhead thing & it gives you a totally different effect to actual acid wash jeans. The result you'll get when you try to bleach them yourself is much too patchy to look like that frosty acid wash look. Acid wash consists of soaking pumice stones with chlorine and using their abrasive power to bleach jeans into sharp contrasts, also known as moon, fog, marble, ice and frosted.

Here's a pair of bleached jeans, nothing like acid wash:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-LEVIS-501-ROCKER-HIGE-JEANS-BLEACHED-34-X-32_W0QQitemZ8353737394QQcategoryZ28022QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here's actual acid wash, just scroll down to the 3rd photo of the woman with the tassles on her jacket: 
http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2003/denim/

Another photo of acid wash jeans:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lip-Service-Stretch-F-ckin-Jeans-Acid-Wash-Punk-77-peg_W0QQitemZ7725990876QQcategoryZ11483QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've become somewhat of an expert on denim in the last 12 months as a result of my quest for more 80s-esque metal type clothing & jeans, which almost prooved to be an impossiblity these days in a world that embraces sensible clean cut boutique styles.  Nowadays you can buy already dirty or pre-ripped denim but it looks so lame & not very authentic & it's obvious that it's forcefully engineered to look like that, but it doesn't even look like the real deal. You just can't beat an actual real pair of old very worn pair of pre-loved jeans. Accept no lame & poofy immitations. The only brand still making a pair of acid wash jeans called Stretch F*ckin Jeans is a punk/goth brand called Lip Service, but they aren't cheap. Goodluck finding actual acid wash jeans especially a pair that fit you, because they are somewhat of a rarity & believe it or not very sought after these days. It's like finding a needle in a haystack. Trying to achieve an acid wash look yourself using crude methods won't work either.

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/21/05 at 8:21 am

Any time.

Check for new replies or respond here...