inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Love the 80s: 3D

Written By: Meghan88 on 10/24/05 at 5:06 pm

Do you think that VH1 has gone overboard with the whole I Love the 80s thing...that its just too much and that they've overdone it? (just trying to cash in on viewer ratings) or do you think that its just not enough and you can't wait for the next installment of I Love the 80s, I Love the 80s: 3D thats coming on tonight?

Subject: Re: I Love the 80s: 3D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/05 at 5:28 pm

Probally!  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/24/05 at 5:59 pm

I'm on the fence with this. Yes, I have already watched the first episode yesterday, so I like the series. On the other hand, I think they are milking a very popular series.

Written By: Gap Tooth on 10/24/05 at 6:19 pm

As long nobody from "Best Week Ever" is in it...

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/24/05 at 7:53 pm

I am getting ready to watch it.....I saw a part of it over the weekend....I love that they put Little Darlings in it, cause it is another one of my favorite 80's movies.

But...I hate that every single comment all those goobers make(the commentators) revolves around sex...because even The Elephant Man...they have to pick it apart...when actually that was a cool movie. It bothers me.....because younger kids can't watch it and see how cool the 80's were...because they will get a sex education from tuning in...because they all talk like trash mouths on VH-1.

I do like it when they find the actors and the musicians ....that they are talking about, and who were involved in the movies, cause I like seeing what they look like now.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/25/05 at 12:16 am

The one thing I can't stand is when they have people too young to know commenting on things. If you were born in the 80s, you don't know. You only indirectly know and that's not cool, man  ???

Written By: TarzSp on 10/25/05 at 1:21 am

Crap, I forgot this was on

Well, knowing VH1, they will replay it probably 23 times in then next 2 days

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/05 at 4:43 am

The one thing I can't stand is when they have people too young to know commenting on things. If you were born in the 80s, you don't know. You only indirectly know and that's not cool, man  ???

I respectfully have to disagree with you on this one. Born in late 1981 - the 80's is, and will always be, in my blood.

Granted, I'm somewhere in between both extremes. I was a child in the 80's, so I did live through it (and I highly enjoyed it then too - probably why I was imprinted by pop culture fairly early in life). But only my first 8 years, so obviously I didn't get to experience it in a teenage or adult sense as it unfolded.

I will agree with you that having someone born in 1970 talking about the 80's, I guess, does give it a certain "realness" experience feel to it. However, I have to contest your statement in many ways. It's safe to say we were all born long before the Civil War, yet you never hear complaints when educated historians talk about that on TV, even though they probably get a few things wrong too. ;)

So, why should people born in 1978, 1980 or 1983 not be allowed to comment on the 80's? I almost tend to view it as a GOOD, cool thing if someone is a massive fan of something slightly "before their time". :)

Then again, maybe I'm a little biased. I remember many many times, say in 1995 when people assumed -- based solely on my age -- that I was into rap or grunge and I had to jump to my own defense of the 80's. That kinda bugged me (even though I did like some of the current stuff too).

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/05 at 4:46 am

Do you think that VH1 has gone overboard with the whole I Love the 80s thing...that its just too much and that they've overdone it? (just trying to cash in on viewer ratings) or do you think that its just not enough and you can't wait for the next installment of I Love the 80s, I Love the 80s: 3D thats coming on tonight?

They probably have overdone it a little. ;)

But I love the decade so much that I have yet to tire of it. Although as with the other two series', I find my interest wanes a little as the years progress. 1980-86 is the real 80's to me ('87 is borderline between "main" 80's and "pathway to the 90s" 80's).

Written By: robby76 on 10/25/05 at 5:22 am

The one thing I can't stand is when they have people too young to know commenting on things.

I'm afraid Marty i have to kinda agree on this one. I'm not saying people born in the 80's can't comment, but if you're doing a nostalgic show for people of that generation you should at least find people who can relate to the 80's on the same level.

But considering this show is probably catered just as much for the younger generation, I suppose it doesn't hurt to use younger commentators. I guess t's more of a lighthearted show on the 80's for all demographics. If the programme was aimed specifically at Gen X'ers it would be a different story.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/25/05 at 7:03 am

Yes I think they've gone overboard.  The novelty of 80s nostalgia is not the same now as it was back around 2000-'03.

The first one was really cool, and reminded us how cool the 80s were.  Now it's getting tired.  They're almost ruining our 80s memories. 

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/25/05 at 7:18 am

I'm afraid Marty i have to kinda agree on this one. I'm not saying people born in the 80's can't comment, but if you're doing a nostalgic show for people of that generation you should at least find people who can relate to the 80's on the same level.

But considering this show is probably catered just as much for the younger generation, I suppose it doesn't hurt to use younger commentators. it's more of lighthearted show on the 80's for all demographics. If the programme was aimed specifically at Gen X'ers it would be a different story.

Sorry Marty, but unfortunately I'll have to agree with everyone else too.  It becomes nearly a farce when they have people too young commenting on a nostalgia show devoted to the 80s.  I think another reason that it may bother people is that they want to watch a program devoted to the 80s, remember what it was like to be in their youth and when they were the kids, and then that is TOTALLY RUINED when Mandy Moore or Hilary Duff pop up in said 80s show and unintentionally remind you "hey it's 2005! Ad you're not a kid anymore!  I was born in 1989 and you people are gettin' old!!!"  Sometimes I've felt that way when I watch these I Love the 80s programs and someone like Hilary Duff shows up and reminds me that I'm 30.

Marty, others may disagree with me, but I do consider people your age to have "grown up" in the 80s, barely, but yes I do count you guys born in 1981.  You were there, clocked in a few years of school in the 80s---mainly the late 80s but still, and the decade had enough of an effect on you.  Getting a few years of school in the 80s is a big determining factor.  You're age would have had pre-school to 3rd grade, (1985-'89 for you) which is a solid enough amount of time to qualify IMO.  You wouldn't know a lot of substance at age 4, but you would have at least been old enough to know about a lot of the toys and kid shows of 1985.    

I can totally, totally understand someone born in 1980 or 1981, maybey even people born in 1982, (afterall wasn't the middle kid from Full House born that year?) commenting on the 80s.  I count you guys born in the very early 80s as being part of 80s culture.  But it does become a joke though when you have kids born in 1984, '85 or '88 showing up and being 80s commentators.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/25/05 at 7:46 am

Well it was worse when they did the I love the 70's....it's like when they were commenting on BJ and the Bear...I thought yeah right...nobody I ever meet ever remembers that show, but me, so I thought how did they come across all these celebrities that know it all. Well...I wouldn't call any of them actual celebrities though....I don't think it matters exactly when you grew up...because younger kids would appreciate the same stuff...because our stuff was cool...so no matter when you grew up it is fun to see.

I feel like I grew up in a perfect time...I was 12 in 1980...so I was a teenager the whole way through the 80's, and it was great.

It isn't that they ruin the shows buy doing more...because there was so much happening in the 80's...in music, in tv, in the movies, in fashion, in the news, in sports....that I like seeing anything new they come up with...the thing that is boring...is they get the exact same people commenting...so it feels exactly the same...and all they comment on is sex....they don't know anything else, and they make crude jokes...and that is the part that bothers me about it. 

I say more power to anyone that was born at the end of the 80's and who loves it...it is because there isn't any new stuff out there that holds a candle to it. There hasn't been any kind of movie made that can top : Gremlins, E.T., Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, The Terminator, Die Hard, First Blood, plus all the low budget ones....are better than anything out today.  The music was great...who can top: Pat Benatar, The Police, The Go Go's, REO Speedwagon, Journey, Foreigner, and all the other great musicians....surely not P. Diddy and J.Lo or Eminem...get real....and we had the coolest toys, we had the freedom that kids don't have today to ride your bike down the street and not fear that you'd never return ...we played outside all day...and it was a punishment to be stuck in the house all day. What bothers me about the 80's, is it only last 10 years. But...I am glad that so many younger people are loving them.

I know my own son....has been raised in the 80's-but was born in 1993, he doesn't watch anything new on tv, he loves shows like: The Greatest American hero, Different Strokes, Little House on the Prairie, The Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch, he even loves the 70's...like Baretta...and Steve McQueen is his favorite actor, so if kids were exposed to those things, and not to garbage...they would love it too. My son's favorite movies are The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven, and The Towering Inferno, Bullitt and The Hunter...he LOVES all the old James Bond movies, and he loves movies like Smokey and the Bandit and The Cannonball Run. Right now my son is loving Clint Eastwood...and loves his movies from Pale Rider to Every Which Way But Loose to FireFox.  I am so glad that they made such diverse movies in the 80's, that you had so much to pick from, and I am always learning about movies I never heard of, and buying them, and loving them for the first time, even though I never saw them in the 80's too.

I haven't been to a current movie in 10 years that totally made me wanna watch it 100 times.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/05 at 8:05 am

Sorry Marty, but unfortunately I'll have to agree with everyone else too.  It becomes nearly a farce when they have people too young commenting on a nostalgia show devoted to the 80s.  I think another reason that it may bother people is that they want to watch a program devoted to the 80s, remember what it was like to be in their youth and when they were the kids, and then that is TOTALLY RUINED when Mandy Moore or Hilary Duff pop up in said 80s show and unintentionally remind you "hey it's 2005! Ad you're not a kid anymore!  I was born in 1989 and you people are gettin' old!!!" Sometimes I've felt that way when I watch these I Love the 80s programs and someone like Hilary Duff shows up and reminds me that I'm 30.

True, I didn't quite think about it that way.

You always have a good way of putting things which I enjoy reading (and usually agree with). Even many instances where I somewhat disagree with you, I'll still think Hey, that's a good observation! :)

On that level, if you think it's bad having Linsday Lohan-esque people commenting on 80's nostalgia shows making you feel old, try having Britney Spears making you feel that way when she's the same age as you (LOL)! When she first got popular, I thought she acted like a little kid way younger than her real age - I remember being kinda ashamed to be 17 right there with her back then.

Marty, others may disagree with me, but I do consider people your age to have "grown up" in the 80s, barely, but yes I do count you guys born in 1981.  You were there, clocked in a few years of school in the 80s---mainly the late 80s but still, and the decade had enough of an effect on you. 

I can totally, totally understand someone born in 1980 or 1981, maybey even people born in 1982, (afterall wasn't the middle kid from Full House born that year?) commenting on the 80s.  I count you guys born in the very early 80s as being part of 80s culture.  But it does become a joke though when you have kids born in 1984, '85 or '88 showing up and being 80s commentators.

Even though I don't like to generalize, another observation in general - it seems the people just immediately younger than me, by a few years, seem to often be the MOST critical of the 80's or lacking in knowledge, who call it "ohh so tacky", etc.

About a week ago I was talking with a friend's younger brother (born I think around 1989?) and he's totally into the 80's - we even had a conversation about one of my favorite singers - Huey Lewis! And I tell you with certainty, this "kid" knew way more than alot of my born in 1983 or 84 friends seem to.

That's far from the first time I've noticed this sort of thing too.

In short though - I think anyone can be fans of an era or possess some knowledge in it, but true, LIKING it and EXPERIENCING it are two different things.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/05 at 8:28 am

Another post I just about 100% agree with. :)

It isn't that they ruin the shows buy doing more...because there was so much happening in the 80's...in music, in tv, in the movies, in fashion, in the news, in sports....that I like seeing anything new they come up with...the thing that is boring...is they get the exact same people commenting...so it feels exactly the same...and all they comment on is sex....they don't know anything else, and they make crude jokes...and that is the part that bothers me about it.

True. I always liked Michael Ian Black and a couple others, but they've become so synonymous with the show now - it's like find somebody else already! ;D

The jokes are kinda funny much of the time, and I'm VERY easily amused, but even I agree they seem to rely almost exclusively on sex-type references. Which gets old over time.

I know my own son....has been raised in the 80's-but was born in 1993, he doesn't watch anything new on tv, he loves shows like: The Greatest American hero, Different Strokes, Little House on the Prairie, The Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch, he even loves the 70's...like Baretta...and Steve McQueen is his favorite actor, so if kids were exposed to those things, and not to garbage...they would love it too. My son's favorite movies are The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven, and The Towering Inferno, Bullitt and The Hunter...he LOVES all the old James Bond movies, and he loves movies like Smokey and the Bandit and The Cannonball Run. Right now my son is loving Clint Eastwood...and loves his movies from Pale Rider to Every Which Way But Loose to FireFox.  I am so glad that they made such diverse movies in the 80's, that you had so much to pick from, and I am always learning about movies I never heard of, and buying them, and loving them for the first time, even though I never saw them in the 80's too.

To use an appropriate venacular of the day, "Radical!" :)

Sounds like you caught him early enough to where he likes those for what they are, as opposed to when they're from. It was the same with me. Both my parents listened to 80's music, especially my mom, so I got exposed to that. My dad and I played Nintendo games. I got equally into comedy movies once I got to be about 10.

I've said it before that, I think a person's tastes are defined mostly by what they're exposed to. So some of the kids who only listen to gangsta rap or J-Lo - it's a strong possibilty that's all they've really "known", so it's no surprise they latched onto it.

I haven't been to a current movie in 10 years that totally made me wanna watch it 100 times.

Me neither. Not that I don't like newer movies, but I'm more of a "casual fan" of them.

Written By: robby76 on 10/25/05 at 9:08 am

Marty I do have to say that I love your posts as they always lead to a healthy discussion. And I do know how you feel. I was born in 76 yet I do have a strong affiliation for the 70's as well, but that's mostly due to re-runs of classic shows as a kid and of course even simple things like photographs. Sometimes I look at baby pictures of myself and the mid to late 70's look like such a great era too. I do of course remember a lot of stuff from that period... kindergarten etc... and some memories are quite vivid so I totally get where you're coming from. I even post a fair bit on the 70's section which says a lot.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/25/05 at 9:29 am

I watch newer movies...but I can not stand all that CGI crap that makes them look like a video game. I liked the 80's because they filmed stuff on location....so it felt real...you could relate to it...people's homes looked like they really lived there...like Samantha Baker's house in Sixteen Candles...or Julie's house in Valley Girl...now ever movie looks like it was professionally decorated...everyone drives luxury cars...and it doesn't feel real.

I don't like how weak the story lines are of today...they are all boring. The only movie I watched this year that I semi liked was Batman Begins, but now we got it on DVD...I watched it Friday night...and it is so dark in places you can't even tell what is happening...the story line is complex, and hard to follow, and it has a creepiness about it...which almost all new movies have....I am not attracted at all to the actors that are in movies....infact most of them complete repulse me...the celebrities of today are famous for being nasty....Paris Hilton....Colin Farrell...bluck...nasty nasty..icky.

I thought War of the Worlds was so violent...I wanted to walk out of the theatre..it made me so uncomfortable.

My son is sheltered, but that's the way I want it to be-your a kid for the shortest amount of time in your life,but whatever experiences you have as a kid-mold you in to your adult personality- and some people never get over stuff that happened to them as a kid...and spend their whole life messed up as an adult from those first years of life....we have attempted to go to see some newer movies, and got up and left cause they were too violent...2 that I walked out on were XMEN 2 (I loved the first one...but the 2nd was horrid), and Pirates of the Caribbean...both to me were horribly violent.

Same thing with the video games of today...I hate them. I loved the video games of the 80's:
Frogger, Pac-Man, Asteroids, Centipede, Dig Dug. Donkey Kong, Space Invaders...those were totally cool games...even though they seem simple now...they were entertaining...and if that's all you know you like it.

I don't think people stop and think about how different the world is today from just 100 years ago...which is nothing when you consider how long the Earth has been here.

I liked Michael Ian Black on the first I love the 80's...but what I saw of him this past time ...was him pulling his shirt up...and he did it a bunch...it got old.

I can not stand comedians of today. My friend is a stand up comic...he books all the comedians for the David Letterman Show...and has had over 8 guest spots on Letterman....I meet him in 1989...and went to New York, and hung out at Caroline's...back in the 80's was when comedy was funny. I loved Eddie Murphy- Delirious and Raw....but I also loved Bill Cosby....everything didn't have to be disgusting to be funny. I can not take comedians today like Larry the Cable GUY...I cringe at how the world seems to have melded in to this whole red neckish way of life, I think people have really gone down the drain.

Written By: YWN on 10/25/05 at 5:14 pm

I love I Love The 80's....

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/25/05 at 7:37 pm

I respectfully have to disagree with you on this one. Born in late 1981 - the 80's is, and will always be, in my blood.

Granted, I'm somewhere in between both extremes. I was a child in the 80's, so I did live through it (and I highly enjoyed it then too - probably why I was imprinted by pop culture fairly early in life). But only my first 8 years, so obviously I didn't get to experience it in a teenage or adult sense as it unfolded.

I will agree with you that having someone born in 1970 talking about the 80's, I guess, does give it a certain "realness" experience feel to it. However, I have to contest your statement in many ways. It's safe to say we were all born long before the Civil War, yet you never hear complaints when educated historians talk about that on TV, even though they probably get a few things wrong too. ;)

So, why should people born in 1978, 1980 or 1983 not be allowed to comment on the 80's? I almost tend to view it as a GOOD, cool thing if someone is a massive fan of something slightly "before their time". :)

Then again, maybe I'm a little biased. I remember many many times, say in 1995 when people assumed -- based solely on my age -- that I was into rap or grunge and I had to jump to my own defense of the 80's. That kinda bugged me (even though I did like some of the current stuff too).

It's cool to be a fan. However, when someone says I remember something when they obviously couldn't comes off as a poser (that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it - lol). Yes, you remember hearing about it or seeing the item somewhere (however, I have a pet peeve about the phrase "I remember" being inappropriately used - but that's my issue. LOL) I have a sister who is a year older than you. She can't remember things (despite being a 80s baby/child) because we grew up in two different generations (I wouldn't expect her to) and many of these things meant different things to each other. Do I think she can't possibly love the 80s? No, I believe she can and she does when we reminisce on some things.

My thought on the show is to have first-hand accounts of such items discussed by those old enough to enjoy them, that's all. It makes sense.  I wouldn't do I Love the Seventies solely because I was born in them b/c I don't recall things unless I'm looking at pics of the time or my mom rehashes stories. We can discussed what we liked, but never know the true feel of things that may have occurred or added to pop culture. I wouldn't expect you or me to discuss the sixties as if we were there b/c we weren't.

As for the civil war, I would rather read stories of those who were around in that era because their experiences are stronger and valid to the time. I always take in the account any research on past times by those who weren't there b/c they have a tendency to add their opinion, rather than factual experiences, on the posed era. Do I respect them any less? Not entirely, but as mentioned before, I prefer to hear/read stories of those who actually witnessed it.

But, I'm glad you shared your opinion! I enjoy it immensely.

By the way, I didn't cut off those born in 1978 or 1979! LOL

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/05 at 9:01 pm

It's cool to be a fan. However, when someone says I remember something when they obviously couldn't comes off as a poser (that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it - lol). Yes, you remember hearing about it or seeing the item somewhere (however, I have a pet peeve about the phrase "I remember" being inappropriately used - but that's my issue. LOL) I have a sister who is a year older than you. She can't remember things (despite being a 80s baby/child) because we grew up in two different generations (I wouldn't expect her to) and many of these things meant different things to each other. Do I think she can't possibly love the 80s? No, I believe she can and she does when we reminisce on some things.

My thought on the show is to have first-hand accounts of such items discussed by those old enough to enjoy them, that's all. It makes sense.  I wouldn't do I Love the Seventies solely because I was born in them b/c I don't recall things unless I'm looking at pics of the time or my mom rehashes stories. We can discussed what we liked, but never know the true feel of things that may have occurred or added to pop culture. I wouldn't expect you or me to discuss the sixties as if we were there b/c we weren't.

As for the civil war, I would rather read stories of those who were around in that era because their experiences are stronger and valid to the time. I always take in the account any research on past times by those who weren't there b/c they have a tendency to add their opinion, rather than factual experiences, on the posed era. Do I respect them any less? Not entirely, but as mentioned before, I prefer to hear/read stories of those who actually witnessed it.

It's cool, I now see where you're coming from a little more clearly too. :)

As a parallel with the 70's, I often listened to classic rock radio stations growing up. I also liked a number of movies from the second half of the decade. But I would never go so far as to say I "remembered" the 70's, LOL.

BTW I love a good "debate" -- even if I disagree, it'll make me see things in a slightly different light I otherwise may not have.

Written By: woops on 10/25/05 at 9:15 pm

I grew up in the '90's, but hardly remember anything...  ::)

Ot that's just me since I didn't have cable until early 1995 and wasn't into "current" music 'til the dawn of the downfall in 1997

As for the '80's, music much better than anything after 1998

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/25/05 at 9:30 pm

I think the whole thing regarding the commentators on the I love the...shows is, not only are they younger and act goofy a lot of the times, but it seems like they totally make fun of every single person that they are talking/reminiscing about...and they seem to do it in such a way that makes them look like they are really informed about the person, grew up loving/hating the person, yet they are on such a higher level than them. It's not only people though that I have seen this "attitude" portrayed...it seems like they like to poke fun at anything (TV shows, movies, toys, food, etc)...and they always end up coming off as being totally sarcastic.  Am I the only one that kinda sees this or feels this way?

Erin :)

Written By: Skippy on 10/25/05 at 10:27 pm

it seems like they like to poke fun at anything (TV shows, movies, toys, food, etc)...and they always end up coming off as being totally sarcastic.  Am I the only one that kinda sees this or feels this way?

Nope, your probably in a group of thousands that feel the same way. I quit watching during the first "I love the 70's" because of those moron losers who apparently are jealous of other peoples success. When "I love the 80's" came out I'd hoped they'd been replaced, to no avail.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 10:30 pm

VH 1 - Currently still flogging a dead horse........ It might as well as be their new slogon...  ;D

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/26/05 at 10:09 am

Erin,

I totally agree. I think what are they doing tearing everything apart for...isn't it about remembering how cool stuff was when you were a kid. I mean if your putting it down, get off the show, cause I loved the 80's, and I thought it was based on being a fan of the 80's...not slamming the 80's.
I watched part of 1981 last night, and I did not laugh at one thing those people said, and the more I watched it, the more annoying it got, and I decided...forget it...I don't need a bunch of dorks wrecking the good memories of the stuff I have, I would rather just remember the 80's the way I want too, and stay away from people that are going to make fun of it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/05 at 10:24 am

^ Totally agree again. :)

Is it just me, or did the commentators seem to be more "genuine fans" on the very first I Love the 80's special than the two follow ups?

In other words, every show since then they seem to be more making fun of the 80's and everything that comes along with it. Well, okay you can tell they probably do like it, but they're kinda purposely putting it down, almost in order to seem "cool" if that makes sense.

Is VH1 trying to be the new "MTV" or something?

Written By: YWN on 10/26/05 at 11:12 am

Hey, I was born in 1991...  I can remember Backstreet Boys...N*Sync....although I didn't listen to any of that crap.  :P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/26/05 at 11:31 am

I agree about the tearing down. I also think it's a way for non-successful comedians to get a bit of their acts on tv.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/26/05 at 11:56 am

I think they are overly trying to be funny...and they come across as sarcastic....I think some of the jokes they do are scripted (they have to be, of course)...and it is like ...they aren't there to talk about the 80's...but to make a fool out of themselves, cause they have a huge audience watching...and certain people do go for that kind of stuff...why do you think reality tv keeps producing more and more shows...it is because people like watching other people make fools out of themselves.

I did watch the first one and taped it. I actually like I loved the 70's even more than the 2nd I love the 80's.

Some of the stuff they are coming up with is so dumb because...there were so many other things better than what they are covering.  Like, I have no clue what Mel Brooks movie they were talking about...I don't even remember the title of it, and I feel if I don't know it...those goobers sure don't remember it, and were probably told what to say about it.

Also.....I love 38 Special...they are so awesome, they are one of my favorite bands....but Hold On Loosely...that wasn't a huge song of the 80's....I mean it is a great song...but there were so many other songs that were so much more known...I honestly think that they used it so they could make sexual jokes about that song..... I never ever gave it a thought that what they were referring to-is what the song meant.....or was ever what the song was about. And I don't think it was. I think all these people know how to talk about is crude and vulgar stuff, and I personally find it to be extremely offensive. I dont' talk like that and use the f-word, and have a trashy mouth, and to me the way people talk like that on tv...I just am repulsed by it. The blonde comedian...I think her name is Rachel...she was doing some stupid comment on the fruit flies of California...and she bleeps out the f-word....it's like...now what the heck did you have to throw that in to the whole thing for. It is totally unneccessary....and I have yet to figure out why when someone says the f-word people bust out laughing...like they never heard it before...if I wanted to hear it...I could sit around all day saying it out loud to myself...and giggle my head off...if I wanted too...but I don't find it funny.  So...what is this huge fascination with that word for...I think people think they sound cool when they throw that word around...just like smoking...I think they think if I talk like that ...people will think I am so cool.

And the guys they have commenting on sex....I bet are completely clueless on the whole subject to begin with...and are only saying things they have heard other people say about it...to sound like they know what they are talking about. But, sorry again...I can't stand people talking like that. You know all the older shows we watched in the 70's and 80's...they all had sexual references...but they were not in your face...blunt, and down right crude and nasty...and there was a allure to sex in tv shows...like Charlie's Angels...and others...the women were sexy looking...but not trash...just like Daisy Duke in the original Dukes of Hazzard...she was sexy...but not nasty...and in today's tv line up...there is no line drawn on what is tasteful..cause nothing is, and I hate that every single preview you see for a tv show...you hear them talking about sex in it.(Desperate Housewives, Sex & the City, Nip & Tuck-I mean what the heck are these shows actually about other than sex??) It is like people don't have anything else to do but listen to other people's sex life...it's like...get a real life, and find some hobbies.  Even in comedies all they talk about is sex. I for one am bored and sick with all of that...I don't find it interesting...I don't find it funny, I don't find it entertaining.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 10/26/05 at 1:57 pm

Wow, I don't have much to say since ValleyGirl said it all for me. I agree 1000% with her posts. And I turned 10 in 1980 so I was a teenager all through the 80s and wouldn'tve wanted it any other way.  :)

Written By: TarzSp on 10/26/05 at 4:22 pm

So far it has been interesting. I liked how they talked about "Rockit" by Herbie Hancock.  My mother used to have that Record and I would dance to it all the time when I was a kid

I'll be looking forward to when they do "I Love The 90's: Episode 3"  8)

Written By: YWN on 10/26/05 at 6:20 pm

Arrrrrghhh....

I just watched the first fifteen minutes of I Love 1982...

You people were right.  These VH1 people are too sarcastic and keep putting the 80's down.  It isn't even funny.

Written By: Meghan88 on 10/26/05 at 6:25 pm

I watched some of I Love 1981 a couple of days ago.....it was horrible

The commentators are not funny at all and as everyone else said before, they were basically just putting down the 80s...
Not cool at all.

I think the commentators were funny in the first I love the 80s series, and kinda funny in the 2nd..but it is just getting too much.

Written By: YWN on 10/26/05 at 6:40 pm

Yeah, I really liked the first installment...

Written By: Meghan88 on 10/26/05 at 11:40 pm

Okay...84/85 today wasn't that bad, but it wasn't good either. Get Rid of the Commentators!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/05 at 11:56 pm

I haven't watched I LOVE THE 80s 3D yet.  I'll catch it piecemeal in reruns.
I've said before they barely scratched the surface of the '80s in the first two, and they'll stay scratching the surface if they stick to the format of of ditzy celebrities cracking jokes about pop culture (as several of you have remarked upon).  However, to do anything else would require things like, oh, WORK! 
You know, an actual research and production budget!

The could start with things like video games and fashion trends and develop a more involved study on origins and meanings...
Feh, what am I yapping for?  That's never gonna happen!
::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/27/05 at 2:18 am

Sorry Marty, but unfortunately I'll have to agree with everyone else too.  It becomes nearly a farce when they have people too young commenting on a nostalgia show devoted to the 80s.  I think another reason that it may bother people is that they want to watch a program devoted to the 80s, remember what it was like to be in their youth and when they were the kids, and then that is TOTALLY RUINED when Mandy Moore or Hilary Duff pop up in said 80s show and unintentionally remind you "hey it's 2005! Ad you're not a kid anymore!  I was born in 1989 and you people are gettin' old!!!"  Sometimes I've felt that way when I watch these I Love the 80s programs and someone like Hilary Duff shows up and reminds me that I'm 30.

Marty, others may disagree with me, but I do consider people your age to have "grown up" in the 80s, barely, but yes I do count you guys born in 1981.  You were there, clocked in a few years of school in the 80s---mainly the late 80s but still, and the decade had enough of an effect on you.  Getting a few years of school in the 80s is a big determining factor.  You're age would have had pre-school to 3rd grade, (1985-'89 for you) which is a solid enough amount of time to qualify IMO.  You wouldn't know a lot of substance at age 4, but you would have at least been old enough to know about a lot of the toys and kid shows of 1985.    

Well, to put it truthfully, Hillary Duff (b. 1987) and Mandy Moore (b. 1984) were born too late in the 80's to really grasp even a fair view of it. But kids born prior to lets say 1982 (my birth year ... okay, sounds biased.. lol), I did LIVE the 80's. I have A LOT of childhood memories and I'm not going to let anyone rob me of them or say that I didn't know what it felt like to live in the 80's. My view is - if I remember it, then I lived it.

And, yes, the middle child in Full House (Jodie Sweetin) was born in 1982 - the same year as me (of course, lol ;) )

Written By: woops on 10/28/05 at 1:48 am

Prefer the first two installments...

A few of the stuff have been talked about like Baby Jessica and hairbands

They show a current image of Jessica McClure and she looks a bit like Ashley Tisdale.

Half way, I changed the channel to watch "Show Biz Show with David Spade"

Written By: chiefyamick on 10/28/05 at 2:12 am

I was watching "3D" last night and I pretty much agree with the majority here, it's not as good as the first two series. This latest series really seems to rip apart allot of the stuff that was "cool" then...not that the first two didn't, but at least in the earlier series I wasn't on the verge of being embarrassed to admit that I had most of those toys, or listened to the music, etc etc. Like it was mentioned earlier, maybe with different commentators........

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/28/05 at 8:15 pm

^ Totally agree again. :)

Is it just me, or did the commentators seem to be more "genuine fans" on the very first I Love the 80's special than the two follow ups?

In other words, every show since then they seem to be more making fun of the 80's and everything that comes along with it. Well, okay you can tell they probably do like it, but they're kinda purposely putting it down, almost in order to seem "cool" if that makes sense.

Is VH1 trying to be the new "MTV" or something?

They were excited to do it the first time around.  This is the THIRD freakin' time.  I think they are tired of it, and just flat out bored.  It makes the 80s look pretty bad too, going back to the well over and over again like this. 

And like I said before, in 2005, 80s nostaliga isn't the novelty of coolness it was during 2000-'03.  Primarily because it has been visited so much.  The only thing that 80s hasn't taken over, is a full blown retro fashion style.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/28/05 at 8:18 pm

I think they are overly trying to be funny...and they come across as sarcastic....I think some of the jokes they do are scripted (they have to be, of course)...and it is like ...they aren't there to talk about the 80's...but to make a fool out of themselves, cause they have a huge audience watching...and certain people do go for that kind of stuff...why do you think reality tv keeps producing more and more shows...it is because people like watching other people make fools out of themselves.

A lot of it is definately scripted.  There is NO WAY these people remember every single damn 80s fad, fashion, one hit wonder, TV show and movie ever in the 80s.  A lot of times I can't even remember the stuff they are talking about, granted I was a kid back then too (ages 4 to 14)---but still...these people seem to remember EVERYTHING.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/28/05 at 8:28 pm

I think people born in the very early 80s are definately old enough to remember the late 80s, even some of the mid 80s.  I know what you mean by it's so annoying when they say they remember this or they remember that.  We have to contextualize what they are telling you they remember so well.  If they started talking about how they so accurately remember the Reagan-Mondale presidential election of 1984 you definately think "hey WTF", even people around our age (3rd or 4th graders in 1984) wouldn't be able to remember that with a whole lot of substance or detail.  Though I do remember it pretty well, but I certainly wasn't watching Nightline every night to get the latest poll numbers of that election.

But if someone born in 1980, '81, or '82 talks about how they remember Cabbage Patch dolls from 1986......see I can totally buy that.  And these people, I almost called them "kids" until I realized they are as old as 23 or 24, did log a few years of school in the 80s.  I would count them as having done at least some growing up in the 80s.   

Written By: TarzSp on 10/28/05 at 10:04 pm

I thought the 1985 Episode was rather funny, especially the bit they did on "Bob Ross and the Joy of Painting",  Had me in stitches almost

Check for new replies or respond here...