inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who recalls this song?

Written By: Carl on 10/25/05 at 9:17 am

I'm not into hip-hop, but certain songs I make an exception.

Remember the song 'Buffalo Gals', by Malcolm McClaren and The Worlds Famous Supreme Team? It came out around late '82 or so.

Kind of an odd combonation. McClaren is from a different style, as he managed The Sex Pistols, so I'm not sure how this merge came about. But it's a catchy tune!

Who did the 'Supreme Team' consist of?

Subject: Re: Who recalls this song?

Written By: robby76 on 10/25/05 at 9:42 am

"All this scratchin' is makin' me itch"

Yes I loved it! My older brother was a breakdancer and we listened to this religiously when it came out!

Written By: Mushroom on 10/25/05 at 10:33 am

Who did the 'Supreme Team' consist of?

They were several New York DJ's (the record type, not the radio type), including Afrika Bambaataa and "Zulu Nation".

The record was quite a bombshell when it came out, at least for me.  I was working part time as a DJ and bouncer for a teen club in LA.  A friend from High School drug me into his garage/studio, and said "Man, you gotta hear this!"

I was truely blown away, and we listened to it 4 times.  Then a week later he came up with the 12" single, and we listened to it all over again.  That weekend, I brought it to the club (a "New Wave" teen club), and they loved it.  It was something fresh, new, and very original.

This was also right at the "Breakdancing" era (inspired by "Flashdance" the year before).

As for the group, I guess you could call it a custom-made group, a bunch of DJs assembled for the record, and given credit as a group instead of individually.  But they sure made an impact.  This is what helped introduce "Hip Hop" to the white youth of the day.  And a lot of "Black Clubs" and radio stations of the day had issues with playing this song, being that Malcolm was White.  I guess you could consider him the first real "White Rapper".

It is only fitting that Eminem covered this song a few decades later, after almost everybody had forgotten it.

Written By: Carl on 10/25/05 at 11:02 am

That is interesting! As a white youth who lived in NYC at the time, the song WAS very big and got a lot of play.I enjoyed it a lot. I used to hear it played so much on the radios, MTV played the video and on the radios the kids bought to the Junior High I was attending. It was strange hearing Malcolm McClaren sing it, you would figure he would be so out of place on the album, but he fit right in. Never knew Eminem did another version of this sone. It is a classic, and though I rarely hear it, when I do, it's fun.

Maybe I should send a request to Classic VH1 to play the video!  ;)

Written By: nycmystery on 10/25/05 at 11:45 am

"Three buffalo gals go round the outside,round the outside,round the outside".."you know it"

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/05 at 11:46 am

I love that song. Didn't Eminem do a really crappy sample of it in one of his horrible songs?

Written By: Carl on 10/25/05 at 11:50 am

I never heard his version, then again I'm not a fan of Eminem.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/25/05 at 11:55 am

I love that song. Didn't Eminem do a really crappy sample of it in one of his horrible songs?

He sure did.  It was a piece of crap called "Without Me".

Strange, how almost every song he did is a copy of another old song.  Kind of an MC Hammer of the 90's-2000's.

Written By: 80s gail on 10/25/05 at 2:41 pm

I constanly played this when it came out in 82/83 I also remember the rock steady crew were in the video, anyone remember Hey you the rock steady crew? not much into hip hop but this stuff was listenable.

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/05 at 2:46 pm

I constanly played this when it came out in 82/83 I also remember the rock steady crew were in the video, anyone remember Hey you the rock steady crew? not much into hip hop but this stuff was listenable.

I really enjoyed Hey You (Rocksteady Crew).  It was very catchy :)

Written By: zcrito on 10/25/05 at 3:54 pm

Malcolm McClaren was a popular artist on MTV around '83 and '84. I seem to recall not only Buffalo Gals but also Double Dutch and its rope skipping video.

Written By: robby76 on 10/25/05 at 8:15 pm

I was just gonna mention "Double Dutch". So that was by McClaren too? They actually sampled that on a house/dance record in the late 90's which I got hold of. Now Double Dutch was a tune!

"Skip-daa doo, the double dutch, let's go dancing"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/05 at 8:23 pm

I was just gonna mention "Double Dutch". So that was by McClaren too? They actually sampled that on a house/dance record in the late 90's which I got hold of. Now Double Dutch was a tune!

"Skip-daa doo, the double dutch, let's go dancing"

"Double Dutch" is my favorite Malcolm McLaren.  It's done in South African "Homeland" style music.  This style got very popular at the dawn of the whole "World Music" phenemonon, which coincided with the liberation of Nelson Mandela and consequent events in South Africa.

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/05 at 10:12 pm

The best McLaren I thought was 'Madame Butterfly'.  That song was just wonderful :)

It even charted here in Canada, which still surprises me  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...