inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Retro Candies and Junk Food

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/25/05 at 8:59 pm

I am a huge fan of Retro Candy.  The one place I go to alot for candy...they have everything from Freshen Up Gum to Bottle Caps, to Mallow Cups (my personal favorite)

www.blaircandy.com

and here's another cool website:

www.groovycandies.com

I am dying to find Wacky Wafers again.....I loved Banana Flavored.

Does anyone else remember the Marathon candy bar?

Does anyone remember Royals??

How about Betcha Life Candy Bar??

Does anyone remember Bravos?? They were like round Doritos...I loved to make nachos out of them ..YUM!

What was your favorite candies??

Lemon heads?? Boston Baked Beans? Astro Pops?? Tiny Tarts?? Sixlets? Razzles??

Does anyone remember when they made all the cool gum?? Like HUbba Bubba...I remember they made a gum that came in a plastic container, and it was shaped like a waffle, and had "syrup" you poured on it, and I remember gum that came in a container shaped like a Big Mac, and looked like a BIg Mac.  All that stuff was so cool as a kid.  We had little family owned candy shops in my home town, I went to at least 5 different ones....and they had all the choclate candy too...like bridge mix, and the chocolate stars, and I loved candy back in the 80's. I hardly ever eat candy any more.  But I use to be a Junk Food Junkie- ;)

Subject: Re: Retro Candies and Junk Food

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/05 at 9:01 pm

My favourite kind of candies in the 80's were Wonka Thrills.  They were purple pieces of gum that looked like chiclets but only they tasted like soap.  I know they don't sound appealing, but I was addicted to them

Every halloween i used to get 'em and I never wanted 'em, but over the years I grew to love 'em and now I buy a pack whenever I see 'em in stores :)

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/25/05 at 9:13 pm

I don't really remember those...but they sound familiar...didn't they make gum like that in tiny little squares that looked like mini chicklets, and came in all different colors, not just purple...??? I can't remember the name. I use to love Jolly Racher apple sticks and watermelon sticks too, they were .10 and lasted forever.

Does anyone else remember Black Cows... they were caramel covered in chocolate. I used to get one every time we went to the community pool, and let it lay in the sun...and get it warm, so you could eat it...otherwise it was hard as a rock.

The other thing I miss is Banana popsicles...and they use to make these popsicles that had orange and cherry...but there was also fudgesicles and these banana fudgie popsicles in with them-so they were a 4 flavored variety pack..and they made a Red, White and Blue ice cream, that had little candied white stars in it, and we would smush up our ice cream to make it soft...and make it turn purple...does anyone remember that stuff??

Written By: chiefyamick on 10/26/05 at 11:05 pm

I vaguely remember the black cows, closest thing I've seen in recent history is the cow tail. Same concept except it's about a foot long. One word of advice, don't put them in the microwave to soften them up.....eeeewwwwww  :P

How about Jell-O pops?? I used to love those things too!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/05 at 11:34 pm

EVIL LICORICE DROPS
http://dts.ystoretools.com/1222/images/250x1000/crows.jpg

NOW & LATERS
(eat 'em now, pick 'em out of your teeth later)
http://www.oldtimecandy.com/images/candypix-pages/now-later_small.jpg

GOBSTOPPERS
(stopped eating them when I had to start paying my own dental bills)
http://www.sweetstall.com/acatalog/gobstoppers.jpg

http://candycrave.com/images/Candy/Gobstopper.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/05 at 11:44 pm

GOETZE'S CARAMEL CREAMS
http://www.marylanddelivered.com/images/goetzes.jpg

BERNARD GOETZ, THE SUBWAY VIGILANTE
http://www.navs-online.org/fest02/photos/Bernie_Goetz_r.jpg

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/27/05 at 2:51 am

I liked Lemon Heads. I used to spend hours at our Roller rink and go to the vending machines and stuff myself with Lemon Heads and reeses cups and then skate all the sugar off.

Written By: Carl on 10/27/05 at 8:19 am

I LOVED 'Big League Chew' gum

Written By: 80s gail on 10/27/05 at 9:44 am

over here, my favs were kola kubes and pineapple chunks also little mini apples , but you can't beat a curly wurly bar, they're still available!

Written By: BCRichrocker on 10/27/05 at 10:49 am

This is so interesting as I was just thinking of this last night also. I was having a "hankering" for retro candy in particular one of those Astro Pops. You know, the lollipop shaped like a long cone and was colored like red, green, and yellow. They reintroduced them years later but made them upside down with the point going downwards. They looked kind of stupid that way but maybe some kid got hurt by one and they had to start making them like that. The point could be made very sharp if you ate it the right way.

Here is a link to a "retro" candy website also:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/candy-crate/astropop.html

Written By: Southern Image on 10/27/05 at 12:14 pm

I miss Wacky Wafers. Those were my favorite

Written By: saver on 10/27/05 at 2:56 pm

I am still trying to sell my 2 bags of Chewy Chalk that is unopened..they are probably congealed and I'M NOT SURE IF THEY ARE EDIBLE but the sugar must be gooey inside..These bags are marked NEW so they must be from the first selling of them..I'll let them both go at $5.00 total.

I saved them for people who one day want to show people some candy that didn't last and may have caused confusion to little kids who might try to eat REAL chalk...

Let me know...collectors or fans.

*not responsible for effects if eaten.

Written By: nycmystery on 10/27/05 at 4:37 pm

marathon bars were great,,,maybe we can get them back..lol
as far as bubble gum,,there was hubba bubba,,,bubble yum,,,bubblicious
reggie bars  were good also,,,

i remember bravos also...sort of like a round dorito

how about good humor ice cream,,,they use to sell a whammy stick for a dime...no more

Written By: Matt on 11/05/05 at 12:22 pm

You can still get Marathon bars! they're marketed as Curly Wurly bars in England, but it's that same braided caramel goodness you remember as a kid:) If I'm not mistaken, the Snickers candy bar was marketed in the UK as a Marathon bar, and that would explain why they went with the (somewhat unlikely) name of curly Wurly...Anyway, I begged my Nottingham pen pal to send me a few, and I await with eager anticipation for the best.candy.bar.EVER!!:)

Written By: pammo on 11/20/05 at 11:54 pm

Charms  lollipops!

Written By: vinyl lover on 11/21/05 at 12:13 am

i think those red white and blue ice cream bars are called bomb pops..and the banana fudge ones are called fudge bombs..i liked cup o gold,..it was chocolate,marshmallow and creme with crunchy rice krispy things...also what about those little wax bottles with juice in them(maybe like 4 drops) and the wax buck teeth and lips.... ;Dthe dip n stix..sugar and a sugar stick to lick and dip into the sugar...man i could go on and on..

Written By: gameguy1957 on 11/21/05 at 7:30 pm

Chocolate stars, I haven't thought of those in years. They used to sell them at a candy stand at the Sears in the local mall. mmmmmm......

Also, the grocery store had a stand where they had different bins of candy. You'd get scoops of the different kinds and they'd charge for it by the pound.

-JM

Written By: chiefyamick on 11/23/05 at 2:18 am

Bottle Caps are still one of my favorites

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/23/05 at 10:51 pm

Rootbeer flavored Bottle Caps are the best...they are so cool cause they are suppose to taste like soda pop.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/05 at 5:21 am

JUST BORN
CANDIES

http://www.candywrappermuseum.com/cx_mikeandike.jpg

http://www.justborn.com/
The look and packaging of these cheap confections has changed much since the '80s.

In the '80s it was .25 for a box of about 20 of any these little bomber candies with a smooth glazy shell and a chewy center.

Check for new replies or respond here...