inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Fog

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 9:42 pm

Who has seen the original The Fog, and if so are they intrested in seeing the remake?  ???

Subject: Re: The Fog

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/05 at 9:46 pm

I've never seen either.  I was planning on seeing the remake, but I should probably see the original first, so I can compare the two after

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 9:48 pm

I remember being creeped out when I first saw it on TV!  ;D

Written By: migi on 10/26/05 at 1:56 am

I remember being creeped out when I first saw it on TV!  ;D

Me too! I think it was around 1985. I was 9 years old and my cousin's father rented it and tried to watch it at night alone. We secretly watched it behind the couches. I remember the fog came from the see and then the dead people came and knocked people doors. If they opened it they were murdered  :D Never seen it since then but I sure remember it quite well.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 10/26/05 at 9:38 am

I have seen both. They are both good. The remake added more story and characters to it. The Original was good, cause it was truly a ghost story and relyed only on sound affects. The Remake didn't make you jump as much.

Written By: Tia on 10/26/05 at 9:45 am

the fog is cool, the original. i'm actually not inclined to see the remake. little known fact, the original fog is also a remake of a movie from the 50s called "the crawling eye" -- space aliens come down in this cloud and terrorize a european ski resort. it's got the same thing going -- if the fog gets you, youre dead. john carpenter said he was inspired to make the fog after seeing the crawling eye.

it's thought to be a bad movie, it even got mystery science theatered, but i thought it was pretty good, kinda hitchcockian. the ending is AWFUL, though. laughable.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/26/05 at 10:17 am

I just watched the original The Fog the other night...it was awesome. I had a friend who hadn't seen the original, so she watched it and LOVED it, then she went and saw the remake and said it left her none too happy at the end. She said it was OK, but nothing like the original.

I have no desire to see any new movie remake. It is like leave it alone, if you wanna do something awesome...rerelease the original at the theater...now that is what I would love to see...is all these movies I missed in the 80's, cause I was too young to see them, but I remember my parents going to see them, I would love to be able to go see them on a big screen myself.

I miss going to the movies so much. I loved it as a kid, and I still wish there was something worth going to see. But, there isn't. Which totally sucks...especially now getting closer to Xmas....we use to take trips in high school to the Mall for Xmas shopping with the Home Ec Club, and I remember going to see Arthur at the movies at a matinee, and I miss that feeling of going on a Saturday afternoon while out Xmas shopping to see a great holiday movie, cause that is when all the blockbusters come out.

Now..that it is close to Halloween.....I watch a scary movie as much as I can, and The Fog was great. Tom Atkins was in it, and he was also in Halloween 3- season of the Witch. In the movie The Fog- his character's name was Nick Castle....and Nick Castle is the real life name of the first guy to play Michael Meyers. It has been said that John Carpenter likes to name characters in his movies after real life people.

Written By: Tia on 10/26/05 at 11:42 am

Now..that it is close to Halloween.....I watch a scary movie as much as I can, and The Fog was great. Tom Atkins was in it, and he was also in Halloween 3- season of the Witch. In the movie The Fog- his character's name was Nick Castle....and Nick Castle is the real life name of the first guy to play Michael Meyers. It has been said that John Carpenter likes to name characters in his movies after real life people.

oo! halloween III: season of the witch! now THERE's a cheesy movie i love. really bad, and yet really funny, i've seen it like three times. and it had nothing whatsoever to do with the first two! my theory is they were thinking about springboarding halloween into a t.v. series which is why that third movie had nothing to do with the first two, but when it flopped so badly they put that idea aside. notice they did do it eventually with the friday the 13th franchise, which was a not-terribly-bad t.v. series for a while.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/26/05 at 12:27 pm

Actually what it was about Season of the Witch.....was that John Carpenter and Debra Hill...never intended to make a bunch of Halloween movies about Michael Meyers...what they wanted to do...and what they did with part 3, and why it had nothing to do with the first 2...was they wanted to make sequels based on Halloween...(the holiday) where the only connection was that it takes place at Halloween. And that's what happened...but because everyone wanted more Michael Meyers, and were so confused by part 3.....they scrapped that whole idea....

But being the huge fan of the Holiday of Halloween.....I thought what they should have done was ...do both...keep Michael Meyers seperate...and still make scary movies based on Halloween...because the ideas of Horror movies based around Halloween are endless. There are so many awesome things you could do with that, but nobody has.

Written By: Tia on 10/26/05 at 12:39 pm

hmm, that's interesting. i guess that was the thing with the splatter movies back then, they were all based on holidays for whatever reason

(actually, i had a theory on that. sorry if it's unreadable...

http://www.popmatters.com/film/reviews/w/watcher.html

)

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/26/05 at 1:02 pm

Wow...you really are a good writer....I am totally impressed.  ;)

I can't believe you mentioned April Fool's Day.....because that is my alltime favorite movie. I LOVE it!!! I love the cast...they are my favorite. I started a topic on here about that movie.

I totally agree with what you said....scary movies are not scary any more...butI believe more so because the NEWS is scarier than the movies...that's what is wrong with society...when all we see are mothers drowning their own children, or real life crazy nuts like the BTK killer and Jeffery Dahmer....well Jason and Michael they don't seem so bad...they actually seem like you might have a shot against them to get away.  I hate the NEWS...I think it is nothing but one horror story after another...and that people are completely desensitized to violence, and nothing phases them in the movies, because today's movies are so beyond the point of scary...they are just down right bloody gruesome.

I just watched the first Night of the Living Dead...just a few weeks ago....I was so terrified of that movie my whole life-and could never bring myself to watch it, just from what I had heard of it....and it was pretty scary...but in comparison to today's stuff...people are bored. To me it is a better movie...on what you don't see, and I think Black & White movies are actually more creepy...The old movies like The Werewolf ones with Lon Chaney...those use to play on Saturday afternoons in the 70's, and I was scared out of my mind.

I just watched Friday the 13th the extended version, with all the special features. And Sean Cunningham says he came up with the title before he even had a movie, and he was doing it based on the movie Halloween, and he decided what would be another scary holiday/time of year that scares people...and that's when he came up with Friday the 13th.

I was suppose to go to Sand Pond, NJ...where the original Friday the 13th was filmed, just 2 weekends ago, but I got broncitis...and couldn't go...but I am planning a trip there to check it out...my friend has been there...I know the town doesn't want people there because of Friday the 13th...because it is a working boyscout camp to this day. Can you imagine though sending your kid there?? No way. 

Written By: Tia on 10/26/05 at 1:27 pm

thanks!

:)

ahh, night of the living dead. one of the 10 finest movies of all time, maybe. truly a beautiful one, that. and yes, definitely spooky! i used to sneak downstairs and watch that one late at night and then pretty much hide under the covers crying with fear. and then it would come on again a couple months later and i'd do it again! lord knows why i tortured myself like that, but it was actually sorta fun. the t.v. guide gave movies stars, and sometimes it would give night of the living dead one star, and then sometimes it would give it four stars, i guess depending on who was reviewing it. i guess nobody thinks that movie's okay, you either love it or hate it.

other midnight faves were "the crawling eye" (actually that one freaked me out so bad in the beginning i couldn't watch the rest of it) and this late-70s movie called "patrick" about this evil guy who could move stuff with his mind. it was actually pretty mediocre, but i loved it back then.

i dunno what's up with horror movies now, when you think about it times were as bad or even worse then, with vietnam and gas lines and son of sam killers and all that, but i think it's just that horror movies should be gritty and imperfect and low-budget and stuff should be screwed up in them a little bit. and these days everything's so polished. i sorta liked "the ring" and "blair witch" but other than that horror movies these days really do kinda just bounce off me.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/26/05 at 1:40 pm

I hated The Ring...never saw Blair Witch. The only movie that kind of scared me here in the past several years was Joyride.

Here's some movies that are scary that I remember as a kid...and some I have gotten recently and like:

He Knows Your Alone
Silent Scream
Blood Song
Bloody Birthday
Happy Birthday to Me
April Fool's Day
Cujo
Carrie
Christine
New Year's Evil
Silent Night/deadly Night
Black Christmas
Curse 2-The Bite
The Stepfather
The Amityville Horror
The Fog
Terror in the Aisles (the best cause it has everything rolled in to one)
Prom Night
The Seduction
Piranha
Slumber Party Massacre
Sorority House Massacre
Waxworks
Vice Squad
Silent Rage
10 to Midnight
When a Stranger Calls
When A Stranger Calls Back
Witchboard
My Bloody Valentine
Grotesque
Hell Night
Cutting Class
Student Bodies
Popcorn
The Legacy
The Omen

Written By: Tia on 10/26/05 at 1:51 pm

oh, that makes me sad about the ring. it's much flashier and high-budget than i tend to prefer but i thought the idea was clever.

did you ever see "legend of hell house"? back in the early 70s, that one was made, that's an old favorite. we just watched that recently. i keep meaning to see student bodies, it's a parody, yes?

i've never even heard of joyride. i'll put it on my queue.

Written By: Skippy on 10/26/05 at 3:52 pm

I saw the original at a drive-in when it was first released. The drive-in sat in a valley and during the movie it got foggy which added to the creepiness.

Written By: Miss PIXIE on 10/26/05 at 3:58 pm

Who has seen the original The Fog, and if so are they intrested in seeing the remake?  ???

What a strange coincidence.

The Fog was on television last night and it IS very creepy, and a bit too gorey for me.  :o

Written By: FastFashionFan on 11/01/05 at 3:15 am

The original Fog rules. I love the music. I play it every Halloween. I was so glad when the OST was released a few years ago..

Check for new replies or respond here...