inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Wanna Be A Cowboy

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 10:20 pm

Anyone remember "I Wanna Be A Cowboy" by Boys Don't Cry?  Not to be confused with the song with the same name by Kid Rock...

It's probally one of the most chessiest of all time...  ;D

Subject: Re: I Wanna Be A Cowboy

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/05 at 10:22 pm

It's cheesy, yet fun  ;D

It appears on the 1986 Canadian PolyTel album "The Hits Keep Comin' on Strong", an album which I listen to on a regular basis :)

http://www.geocities.com/whistlejdog/-the-hits-keep-comin-on-strong-.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 10:25 pm

Did they ever release other songs?

;D

Listening to Apache (Jump On It!) by The Sugerhill Gang right now...  ;D

What was with the 70's and 80's and cowboys?  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/05 at 10:29 pm

I Wanna Be A Cowboy was their only hit, but two of the members of Boys Don't Cry made headlines in 1997 when they sued singer Paula Cole.

They claimed that her song "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone" used the phrase "I wanna be a cowboy" 24 times in the same style and syntax as their song and constituted copyright infringement

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 10:32 pm

*coughs* We need cash...... badly.... *cough*  ::)  ;D  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 10:38 pm

I Wanna Be A Cowboy was their only hit, but two of the members of Boys Don't Cry made headlines in 1997 when they sued singer Paula Cole.

They claimed that her song "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone" used the phrase "I wanna be a cowboy" 24 times in the same style and syntax as their song and constituted copyright infringement

I heard the song "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone"..... it sounds nothing like their song....  ::)

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 10/26/05 at 10:11 am

I wanna be a cowboy, and you can be my cowgirl.

Hit me Hit me Hit me yo yo  ;D

Thats what I remember

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/05 at 11:48 am

Cheese at its best.  ;D ;D ;D  That song always cracks me up.

Cat

Written By: BCRichrocker on 10/26/05 at 4:11 pm

Cheesy it was. Just like Paula Cole's song from 97. Both kind of humorous, but fun for their particular generation.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/05 at 7:01 pm

I like "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone".  I don't think of that song as cheesy.

Cat

Written By: nycmystery on 10/26/05 at 7:20 pm

anyone have a musical sample we can hear on here?

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/05 at 8:10 pm

anyone have a musical sample we can hear on here?

Click here for a sound clip

Written By: nycmystery on 10/26/05 at 8:27 pm

that song really sux now that i hear it,,,i hated it then and hate it even more now

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/05 at 10:32 pm

Most people never heard the rest of the album...nor the follow up album, featuring songs such as "Who the Am Damm do You Think You Am?"
:o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/05 at 10:34 pm

Worth searching out:

Blotto: I Wanna Be A Lifeguard

Albany-based band, had a few records out in the early '80s, and a few videos on MTV.

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/05 at 10:35 pm

Most people never heard the rest of the album...nor the follow up album, featuring songs such as "Who the Am Damm do You Think You Am?"
:o

They had a follow-up album?  I have their first album and it's not too bad.  There was more to them than I Wanna Be A Cowboy, but chartwise, there wasn't :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/05 at 11:12 pm

It came out on Atlantic in 1987, it was called "Who The Am Dam" aka "Who The Am Dam Do You Think You Am," the title track was actually "Who The Am Dam Do You Think You Am?"  aka "Who The Am D*mn Do You Think You Am"
The band is named after the song by the Cure, "Boys Don't Cry," at least that's what I've heard.  I tried to find an image of the album cover, but had no luck.  In lieu of the image, here's an article:

http://www.stp.uh.edu/vol61/97/12a.html

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/27/05 at 2:37 am

I remember it. It's cheesy, but so darn catchy! Let's just hope today's cheesy music really does disappear and doesn't haunt us 20 years later.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 10/27/05 at 10:06 am

I like "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone".  I don't think of that song as cheesy.

Just as some in the 80s may not have thought of "I Wanna Be A Cowboy" as being "cheesy". It's all relative to the time you're in. You are used to 90s music and therefore like the sound of that style. Don't be surprised when in 10 or so years that song is being discussed in the very same vein as we are all speaking of "I Wanna Be A Cowboy" just as many songs from the 90s will be (Grunge will be the first to receive the backlash as "Hair Metal" was in the 90s. Grunge is 90s "cheese" at its finest). Also, just because a song is labled as "cheesy" doesn't mean that one may not like it.  ;)

Written By: nally on 12/27/07 at 10:44 pm

I heard the song "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone"..... it sounds nothing like their song....  ::)

You're right...Paula Cole's song doesn't sound a thing like "IWBAC". The regular version which we all know, that is. However, some dance remix that I heard on the radio in late '97 does sorta utilize the phrase "IWBAC" after the chorus.

Check for new replies or respond here...