inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite 80s Video Game

Written By: Carl on 10/26/05 at 1:13 pm

Now,these can be either home video game systems or arcade.

Me? Pac-Man all the way!

Subject: Re: Favorite 80s Video Game

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/05 at 1:14 pm

From this bunch, I chose Ms. Pac-Man.  That little yellow beyotch sure could move  ;D

I sucked big time at Pac-Man.  For some reason, Ms. Pac-Man was more my speed :)

Written By: TarzSp on 10/26/05 at 1:14 pm

I think "Super Mario Brothers" should be on the list, but out of the ones on the Poll, I would go with "Pac-Man"

Written By: Mushroom on 10/26/05 at 1:55 pm

This really needs an "Other" choice as well.

One of my favorites of all time is "Joust", and it is not on the list.

Of course, my fave is "Reactor".  This was one of the few non-combat games.  And the music it played was one of the most addictive I have ever heard.

Written By: nally on 10/26/05 at 1:58 pm

#1: Ms. Pac-Man...which I began playing regularly about six years ago!

#2: Tetris...the Game Boy version.

#3: to be decided.

Written By: Carl on 10/26/05 at 1:59 pm

WHOA! WHOA!!  :o

I tried to think of as many as I could remember, I'm open to your picks too.  :D

Written By: nally on 10/26/05 at 2:00 pm

I sucked big time at Pac-Man.  For some reason, Ms. Pac-Man was more my speed :)

Mine too. 8) I always try to save the power pellets for later so that I can eat more ghosts and get more points.

Written By: kirstencarroccia on 10/26/05 at 3:37 pm

Not on list, but Centipede used to put me in the zone.

Written By: TarzSp on 10/26/05 at 4:17 pm

Not on list, but Centipede used to put me in the zone.

That word makes me CRINGE

Written By: Skippy on 10/26/05 at 4:40 pm

I played Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Defender a lot on the 2600. At the arcade it was Battlezone and Tempest.

Written By: robby76 on 10/26/05 at 8:05 pm

WHOA! WHOA!!  :o

I tried to think of as many as I could remember, I'm open to your picks too.  :D

I think your list is fine... it's an early 80's list - keepin' it real!

To me, Tetris and SUper Mario remind me too much of the 90's.

Anyway I voted for PacMan, though Space Invaders was almost gonna get the vote!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/26/05 at 8:18 pm

Pac-Man

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/27/05 at 12:25 am

Ms. Pacman

Written By: whistledog on 10/27/05 at 12:28 am

Mine too. 8) I always try to save the power pellets for later so that I can eat more ghosts and get more points.

The Ms. Pac-Man at the local arcade here has a ticket dispenser.  Each time you eat a piece of fruit, you get a ticket.  When you advance a level, you get a ticket.  After like so many tickets, you can cash them in for prizes like DVD's and CD's.  It's almost an inspiration to get really far in the game in one quarter  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/05 at 12:32 am

GALAXIAN

I also loved GALAGA, but I never got very good at it.  Not enough bread.
;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/27/05 at 12:35 am

GALAXIAN

I also loved GALAGA, but I never got very good at it.  Not enough bread.
;D

Galaxian was much harder than Galaga.  I liked the home version of Galaga '88 for the Turbo Grafx.  You could input a code where on the first level, the last alien drops a capsule that gives you the super ship  8)

Written By: Southern Image on 10/27/05 at 12:15 pm

Space Invaders

Written By: Bobby on 10/27/05 at 3:53 pm

Probably Donkey Kong though I loved Pacman too.

I think Super Mario was in the 80s just about? If so, I pick that game too.  :)

Written By: nally on 10/27/05 at 5:40 pm

The Ms. Pac-Man at the local arcade here has a ticket dispenser. Each time you eat a piece of fruit, you get a ticket. When you advance a level, you get a ticket. After like so many tickets, you can cash them in for prizes like DVD's and CD's. It's almost an inspiration to get really far in the game in one quarter 8)

That's amazing! How does the ticket dispenser know when you eat a fruit?

Written By: whistledog on 10/27/05 at 6:27 pm

That's amazing! How does the ticket dispenser know when you eat a fruit?

I've often wondered that same thing.  It even dispenses a bonus ticket when you make it to those little break time screens.  Plus, when you beat the high score, it gives you another ticket.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/05 at 11:10 pm

Galaxian was much harder than Galaga.  I liked the home version of Galaga '88 for the Turbo Grafx.  You could input a code where on the first level, the last alien drops a capsule that gives you the super ship  8)

Really, I seem to remember it was the other way around, at least on arcade versions.  The enemey ships could spiral around you and what not.

How come nobody chose Dig-Dug?  Or Frogger?  Hmmm?

Written By: nally on 10/27/05 at 11:47 pm

I've often wondered that same thing. It even dispenses a bonus ticket when you make it to those little break time screens. Plus, when you beat the high score, it gives you another ticket. :o

There's gotta be something in the CPU that sends a message to the ticket dispenser, or something like that. :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 10/27/05 at 11:53 pm

Really, I seem to remember it was the other way around, at least on arcade versions.  The enemey ships could spiral around you and what not.

How come nobody chose Dig-Dug?  Or Frogger?  Hmmm?

In Galaxian, the ships just stood still like Space Invaders.  For some reason, it was easier to hit them when they spiraled down in Galaga

Written By: rich1981 on 10/28/05 at 12:01 am

Super Mario Bros.

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 11:11 am

In Galaxian, the ships just stood still like Space Invaders.  For some reason, it was easier to hit them when they spiraled down in Galaga

i seem to remember in galaxian the ship you controlled moved a lot slower than in galaga. that might have been why galaxian was harder. but it's been a while.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/28/05 at 3:59 pm

Super Punch-Out!

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/screens/S/wSuper_Punch-Out!!.png

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 4:03 pm

body blow! body blow!

i loved super punch out. i sucked at it, but that didn't keep me from shoveling in the quarters for the privilege of getting the tar beat outta me.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/28/05 at 4:20 pm

body blow! body blow!

i loved super punch out. i sucked at it, but that didn't keep me from shoveling in the quarters for the privilege of getting the tar beat outta me.
I got good enough to where I could get to Super Macho Man, but I never could beat that bastard.

Written By: chiefyamick on 10/30/05 at 8:22 pm

Let's hear it for Frogger!! WOO-HOO!!!!  Ok so that was one  of my favorites to play at home. In the arcades it was either DigDug, Hogan's Alley (which we affectionately renamed "Shoot the Professor"), or Tapper.

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/05 at 8:26 pm

Let's hear it for Frogger!! WOO-HOO!!!!  Ok so that was one  of my favorites to play at home. In the arcades it was either DigDug, Hogan's Alley (which we affectionately renamed "Shoot the Professor"), or Tapper.

I sucked big time at Hogan's Alley.  I kept on accidentally shooting the old guy  ;D

A funny story.  A few years ago, my friend and I were in the local arcade playing the game Lost World: Jurassic Park.  It was right next to the Hogan's Alley machine.  We start playing, and my buddy can't figure out why his gun wasn't working.  Turns out, he accidentally grabbed the gun from the Hogan's Alley machine and was using that, thinking it was the gun from Lost World  ;D

Written By: nally on 10/30/05 at 8:29 pm

Let's hear it for Frogger!! WOO-HOO!!!! Ok so that was one of my favorites to play at home. In the arcades it was either DigDug, Hogan's Alley (which we affectionately renamed "Shoot the Professor"), or Tapper.

I tried playing DigDug once, but stunk at it. Besides eating your way through the ground, I guess I didn't realize that the aim was to kill the "bad guys" that roamed around.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/30/05 at 9:04 pm

Dig Dug was my favorite!  Then Donkey Kong Junior.

Written By: pell on 10/30/05 at 9:36 pm

It was hard to choose, but of the choices given Space Invaders just barely edged out Pac-Man.

I also used to play a lot of Pole Position on the Atari 2600. Joust, too.

Edit: How could I forget Super Breakout, which ate up a lot of my time when I was a kid. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/01/05 at 6:08 am

Pac-Man - no question about it. The classics really do hold up - no matter how many times I've played that in my life, it never gets old. Even if I can't get past maze 6 or 7, LOL!

Ms. Pac Man is slightly easier, but same premise.

The others I've probably all played at one time or another in an arcade. Q-Bert brings back good memories too - I haven't had a shot at that in years! I remember back in the day, my dad and I would play it as this yogurt store near our house (those were the days when they had video machines every two feet!).

It was not only fun, it was colorful! :)

I'm weird this way perhaps, but my favorite part of the game was when the time came you had a level where the object was to change the squares the opposite color from what a previous level had been. For instance, we'll say one level would have squares originally green which you had to turn yellow. Well, when a leve finally came where the squares were originally yellow, and they were supposed to turn green, I felt like it was such an accomplishment! :)

P.S. That latter day Seinfeld episode, all by itself, made me want to play Frogger! I'd just hope I don't get faced with George's situation and have to rescue the machine in, say 2020. ;D

Written By: chiefyamick on 11/01/05 at 7:06 pm

I sucked big time at Hogan's Alley.  I kept on accidentally shooting the old guy  ;D

A funny story.  A few years ago, my friend and I were in the local arcade playing the game Lost World: Jurassic Park.  It was right next to the Hogan's Alley machine.  We start playing, and my buddy can't figure out why his gun wasn't working.  Turns out, he accidentally grabbed the gun from the Hogan's Alley machine and was using that, thinking it was the gun from Lost World  ;D

Man that story is priceless!!! Thanks for sharing it!!

Written By: johnny5alive on 12/27/07 at 10:35 pm

missile command!

Written By: knarla on 12/31/07 at 4:37 pm

Berserk

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/01/08 at 11:58 pm

On the list, a tie between Defender and Robotron.  Was passable as a 100K player on Defender, and if I was very lucky, I could get 1M on Robotron, but those were about my limits.  I have the hardware, but haven't seriously put in the hours to try and beat my old scores.

Off the list, gotta be Tempest.  Could get to the invisible levels, but couldn't quite get through them.  If I was lucky enough to pick up on a machine where one of our local arcade gods had taken it past the invisibles into the greens, I could hold my own again.  20 years later, and I still can't quite hack the invisible levels.

So many fantastic games out there.  Anyone who remembers the games but doesn't know about MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator) should do a little googling.  The upshot is that almost every 80s game has now been emulated, and even at the (inflated) price of the retail market, anyone can now own single cabinet that'll play everything you remember.  It's a hell of a lot easier on floor space than trying to cram an entire arcade into a bedroom, and wiring up control panels for those "weird" games that used trakballs (Missile Command), optical sensor wheels (Tempest), analog inputs (Star Wars), or custom button/stick layouts (Defender, etc) is something anyone can do with a drill, a soldering iron, and a few bucks' worth of parts.

Written By: lemonverbina on 01/02/08 at 11:46 am

I loved Pacman...was never good at Video Games..still am not. Im amazed at how my daughters love to play Pacman at the laundromat.

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/04/08 at 6:16 pm

My favorite was not listed. I was the Zaxon king!

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/04/08 at 7:10 pm

Pac-Man and Centipede, even though I was never really good at either one.

Check for new replies or respond here...