inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the first arcade game you played?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/05 at 11:16 pm

What was the first arcade video game you remember playing?  I remember playing the Asteroids game at the local pizza parlor in 1980.  Spent 50 cents for two games, but didn't get very fair either time!

Subject: Re: What was the first arcade game you played?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/27/05 at 11:24 pm

Ms. Pac Man

Erin :)

Written By: zcrito on 10/27/05 at 11:39 pm

Centipede.

Around 1981, I would go to the local Italian place at around 11am and while I waited for my hoagie I'd drink a beer and play Centipede (and I think it was .25 per game ?).
Beer on an empty stomach is a wonderful thing - a nice buzz on just one frosted glass.  8)

Written By: whistledog on 10/27/05 at 11:55 pm

the first arcade game I ever played was Moon Patrol.  I used to frequent the local arcade at the shopping mall when i was little, but I never had any money.  I remember seeign a free credit in the Moon Patrol machine, so I played my very first arcade that day  8)

Written By: rich1981 on 10/28/05 at 12:01 am

Galaga

Written By: alyceclover on 10/28/05 at 12:04 am

it may have been Donkey Kong, but not sure what an arcade video game is  ??? :-[

Written By: chiefyamick on 10/28/05 at 2:15 am

Tron

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 5:08 am

space war. i go waaaayyyy back. you were a rocket, and you shot at a flying saucer.

it actually might have been exidy's death race i played first. i think it was called death race. you ran over people and they became little crosses.

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 6:20 am

probablies one of the Street Fighter games, as there aren't many arcades near where I live

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 6:25 am

The first one I played was probably Asteroids.

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 6:29 am

"boot hill" was also one i played really early on.

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 6:35 am

"boot hill" was also one i played really early on.

I remember that one Tia.  I'd never heard of Boot Hill till that game came out.

I can't recall the name of my favourite game.  You were flying in a little space craft above a slightly mountainous ground and you had to shoot at all the attacking things flying towards you.  There was a button for exploding a smart bomb which cleared the screen of the enemy but left you intact.  Anyone any idea what I'm talking about?

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 6:42 am

I remember that one Tia.  I'd never heard of Boot Hill till that game came out.

I can't recall the name of my favourite game.  You were flying in a little space craft above a slightly mountainous ground and you had to shoot at all the attacking things flying towards you.  There was a button for exploding a smart bomb which cleared the screen of the enemy but left you intact.  Anyone any idea what I'm talking about?

Yes, I believe I had that game on my old mobile phone.... it's name escapes me. if I can find my old phone, I shall post the name

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 6:43 am

that was probably "Defender." came out in 1980.

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 6:45 am

that was probably "Defender." came out in 1980.

I think you might be right Tia.

Yes, I believe I had that game on my old mobile phone.... it's name escapes me. if I can find my old phone, I shall post the name

Seriously?  My phone just has crappy games on it.  My first phone (god, that sounds like a kids toy!) hasd some chasing snake game.  My current phone has 4 slide the square puzzles on it.

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 6:48 am

I think you might be right Tia.

Seriously?  My phone just has crappy games on it.  My first phone (god, that sounds like a kids toy!) hasd some chasing snake game.  My current phone has 4 slide the square puzzles on it.

Yes, my old phone - a Nokia 3330 I believe it was, had that game, as well as snake, a chess-style game and another game which I could never quite get the hang of. Strange how although the soul purpose of mobile phones is communication, that they have started incorporating games and internet and Mp3 etc etc...

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 6:52 am

i used to be sorta afraid of flying so i got a gameboy for long plane flights to take my mind off it. and i had a pretty slick version of defender on it.

i soon realized that it really wasn't so great for that, what with all those little people PLUMMETING TO THEIR FIERY DEATHS and all. so i just started bringing books to read.

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 6:55 am

i used to be sorta afraid of flying so i got a gameboy for long plane flights to take my mind off it. and i had a pretty slick version of defender on it.

i soon realized that it really wasn't so great for that, what with all those little people PLUMMETING TO THEIR FIERY DEATHS and all. so i just started bringing books to read.

You can't beat a good old game boy! I can't stand all these fancy new computers they're bringing out nowadays. Nintendo 360, Playstation 5... whatever next? In my opinion, the best consoles were the Super Nintendo and the Master System. The graphics may have been poor, but the games were far more enjoyable

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 7:05 am

i've got an atari 2600! it's in mothballs but just because im not really that into videogames anymore. i was shopping around for colecovisions on ebay a couple months ago; i still think i might get one. i always wanted a colecovision.

i think graphics today are so good that you really can't make sense of anything game-wise, imo. the old games were like animated board-games, there was a grid you could figure out and fit into. now it's just, you hit buttons until you come across a series of button presses that works, and do that over and over again. lather, rinse, repeat. like you play these fancy streetfighting games and i just sorta press the kick and punch buttons like a banshee and that actually seems to sorta work. maybe there's more to it but i'll leave it to these little kids.

back in the day they had mad, sick defender experts, and i read somewhere that their hands moved as fast as someone typing between 80 and 100 words a minute. defender was CRAZY. (there was also a sequel called "stargate"...)

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 7:17 am

i've got an atari 2600! it's in mothballs but just because im not really that into videogames anymore. i was shopping around for colecovisions on ebay a couple months ago; i still think i might get one. i always wanted a colecovision.

i think graphics today are so good that you really can't make sense of anything game-wise, imo. the old games were like animated board-games, there was a grid you could figure out and fit into. now it's just, you hit buttons until you come across a series of button presses that works, and do that over and over again. lather, rinse, repeat. like you play these fancy streetfighting games and i just sorta press the kick and punch buttons like a banshee and that actually seems to sorta work. maybe there's more to it but i'll leave it to these little kids.

back in the day they had mad, sick defender experts, and i read somewhere that their hands moved as fast as someone typing between 80 and 100 words a minute. defender was CRAZY. (there was also a sequel called "stargate"...)

I know what you mean. Videogames these days seem to be aimed at killing things. And have you noticed the sudden increased interest in War Games? SOCOM, Medal Of Honour. What's with the sudden interest? Fair play if they were only bringing out a couple of world war two games, but they're releasing a dozen every year!

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 7:30 am

apparently a lot of the wargame stuff is actually civilian versions of military simulators and combat trainers, etc. if one were inclined to be paranoid (and i certainly am!) one could think that a part of the reason there's so many wargames out there is to desensitize your typical 18-24-year-olds and make them into a better pool to draw soldiers from. in world war ii something like 60 or 70 percent of soldiers couldn't fire their rifles in combat because they balked at taking someone's life. now that number's down to 10 percent. (okay, i made those statistics up, but it really is something in the ballpark of that.)

there's this great book called "joysticks" that's all about that. of course it's funny, "death race" came out in 1976, thereabouts, and was immediately protested for being too violent. apparently "grand theft auto" was inspired by death race.

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 7:32 am

It might have been the same speed as someone typing 80 to 100 words a minute but since it was only two butttons it would make as much sense!  ;)

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 7:35 am

apparently "grand theft auto" was inspired by death race.

There's another new game I can't see why young people are into. I once played my younger cousin's Grand Theft Auto 3 (That was the first 3d one, wasn't it?!). What a silly, pointless game. The missions were basically:

Drive to _____, then pick up some drugs, shoot _________ then drive to a pay n spray, then back to your base, where you will be greeted by a 13 minute long cut-scene about something completely irrelevant to what you've just done.

And that new one, San Andreus, is just awful. It's exactly the same as the other two (I can't remember the name of the Miami-Vice one), except you play as a black guy and there are even more expletives per sentence... oh, and you can make him fat! Big woop...

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 7:37 am

There's another new game I can't see why young people are into. I once played my younger cousin's Grand Theft Auto 3 (That was the first 3d one, wasn't it?!). What a silly, pointless game. The missions were basically:

Drive to _____, then pick up some drugs, shoot _________ then drive to a pay n spray, then back to your base, where you will be greeted by a 13 minute long cut-scene about something completely irrelevant to what you've just done.

And that new one, San Andreus, is just awful. It's exactly the same as the other two (I can't remember the name of the Miami-Vice one), except you play as a black guy and there are even more expletives per sentence... oh, and you can make him fat! Big woop...

Two questions

1) What's a pay n spray?

2) why does anyone bother to play this game?

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 7:40 am

Two questions

1) What's a pay n spray?

2) why does anyone bother to play this game?

1 A pay n spray is a garage you drive into and, by paying $100, you get a new paint job for your car, which makes you lose any police you have which are following you, as my cousin explained to me

2 Your guess is as good as mine. You can actually feel your IQ drop a few points while you're playing

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 7:40 am

i think there was a fire, thrust, and reverse button and a two-directional joystick (up and down), a hyperspace button and a smart bomb button. but don't quote me. the control panel was actually pretty complicated, though. nothing like a keyboard but much more than your typical game.

they put either the hyperspace or smart bomb button far from the rest of them so you'd have to reach for it. fun touch on williams' part -- that's the company that made it, if memory serves -- but i guess they didn't care if people smashed up their cabinets because people would SMACK that sucker, man.

williams also made robotron 2084, which was also a real spastic game popular among the overcaffeinated set.

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 7:42 am

1 A pay n spray is a garage you drive into and, by paying $100, you get a new paint job for your car, which makes you lose any police you have which are following you, as my cousin explained to me

I thought it might be but am not aware of any in Britain.

2 Your guess is as good as mine. You can actually feel your IQ drop a few points while you're playing

Maybe it drops until you reach the required level which makes you think "I know I'll go and buy yet another version of this same game"!

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 7:43 am

I thought it might be but am not aware of any in Britain.

Maybe it drops until you reach the required level which makes you think "I know I'll go and buy yet another version of this same game"!

Grand Theft Auto is set in America in all games

That seems to be a rational explanation as to why kids today feel the need to go and buy several million copies of each

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 7:44 am

i think there was a fire, thrust, and reverse button and a two-directional joystick (up and down), a hyperspace button and a smart bomb button. but don't quote me. the control panel was actually pretty complicated, though. nothing like a keyboard but much more than your typical game.

they put either the hyperspace or smart bomb button far from the rest of them so you'd have to reach for it. fun touch on williams' part -- that's the company that made it, if memory serves -- but i guess they didn't care if people smashed up their cabinets because people would SMACK that sucker, man.

williams also made robotron 2084, which was also a real spastic game popular among the overcaffeinated set.

Now I think about it some more you might be right about the number of buttons.

I'd forgotten about the hyperspace option.  I rarely used that because if I did I'd invariably get hit as it returned to normality

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 7:44 am

Grand Theft Auto is set in America in all games

Indeed.  The term 'grand theft auto' is not used in this country to my knowledge

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 7:48 am

Indeed.  The term 'grand theft auto' is not used in this country to my knowledge

I would rather play a simple internet game, or The Sims. Much more my scene

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 7:49 am

one thing the new game technology is good for is the "god games." sim city, the sims, and -- gasp! i love this game! -- rollercoaster tycoon! i pretty much had to take up drinking to kick my habit of playing rollercoaster tycoon.

but yeah, this ultraviolent crud is no good. it's not even good for offending your parents anymore, you know? cuz, like, who cares?

slightly off topic, but i remember thinking osmething similar watching southpark with the roomies the other evening. because so much of the humor isn't clever so much as it's variants on the old junior high school ploy of showing people the chewed up food in your mouth, you know? simple grossout stuff. and that's all old hat now. totally been done.

hey! i might want to review my post! lol. that feature needs to be 86ed! big time!

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 7:51 am

one thing the new game technology is good for is the "god games." sim city, the sims, and -- gasp! i love this game! -- rollercoaster tycoon! i pretty much had to take up drinking to kick my habit of playing rollercoaster tycoon.

but yeah, this ultraviolent crud is no good. it's not even good for offending your parents anymore, you know? cuz, like, who cares?

The lady on the Radio station i'm listening to is just talking about the Golden Joystick Awards, and you'll never guess which game is up for lots of Awards?!

I am also a fan of the Rollercoaster Tycoon games, although I only own one

Written By: robby76 on 10/28/05 at 7:54 am

My first arcade game was Space Invaders. We stayed at this hotel and stayed up way past bedtime playing on it. Must've been very early 80's.

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 7:55 am

My first arcade game was Space Invaders. We stayed at this hotel and stayed up way past bedtime playing on it. Must've been very early 80's.

Just goes to show you can't beat a classic

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 7:58 am

i got the first one, and then the loopy landscapes and some other extension pack. then suddenly i realized i couldn't account for several years of my life and quit playing. i LOVED rollercoaster tycoon. as a friend of mine said, "it's all about the vomit!" which i guess contradicts what i said earlier about grossout humor. but the little pukey guys cracked me up every time. as did the dancing bear. as did the fact that when the car flew off the tracks, the riders would just sit there with no appreciable reaction, just sorta thinking, well, i'm sure everything will turn out okay. and then they would explode. that game was hilarious!

do you live in the UK, karen? my folks live out there, i fly out twice a year. (hence the gameboy on the plane.) whereabouts are you at?

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 8:00 am

i got the first one, and then the loopy landscapes and some other extension pack. then suddenly i realized i couldn't account for several years of my life and quit playing. i LOVED rollercoaster tycoon. as a friend of mine said, "it's all about the vomit!" which i guess contradicts what i said earlier about grossout humor. but the little pukey guys cracked me up every time. as did the dancing bear. as did the fact that when the car flew off the tracks, the riders would just sit there with no appreciable reaction, just sorta thinking, well, i'm sure everything will turn out okay. and then they would explode. that game was hilarious!

The vomiting is rather funny, until you realise you have to send one of your cleaners to sweep it up!

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 9:08 am

do you live in the UK, karen? my folks live out there, i fly out twice a year. (hence the gameboy on the plane.) whereabouts are you at?

Yes, I live in the East Midlands.  Whereabouts are your folks?

Written By: Bobby on 10/28/05 at 9:57 am

I think it was R-Type. What a cracker of a game that is.  8)

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/05 at 10:03 am

I think it was R-Type. What a cracker of a game that is.  8)

That's a fun game.  Also quite difficult it is  :o

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 10:44 am

Yes, I live in the East Midlands.  Whereabouts are your folks?

haywards heath, it's a little 'commuter dormitory', as it's said thereabouts, a 20-minute or so train ride from brighton, on the "south coast." (that will always sound a little funny to me...)

they used to live in greenwich. that was sweet!

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 11:16 am

haywards heath, it's a little 'commuter dormitory', as it's said thereabouts, a 20-minute or so train ride from brighton,

Not an area I'm familiar with unfortunately.  I don't know Greenwich either.

on the "south coast." (that will always sound a little funny to me...)

Why?

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 11:19 am

stateside we're so engrained to think of "east" and "west" coasts, not just geographically but as sorta cultural catchphrases. every time i hear "south coast" i feel like the world's been turned upside down.

greenwich is great. it's where time begins!

man, brighton is chillychillychilly. lots of video arcades on the boardwalk, though...

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 11:25 am

stateside we're so engrained to think of "east" and "west" coasts, not just geographically but as sorta cultural catchphrases. every time i hear "south coast" i feel like the world's been turned upside down.

I thought that might be what you meant.

greenwich is great. it's where time begins!

I'd like to visit it for that reason.

man, brighton is chillychillychilly. lots of video arcades on the boardwalk, though...

Never been to Brighton either. 

Back on to the topic.  I haven't played arcade games for years.  I can't figure out what to do on lots of the new ones.  And I crash on all the racing car simulators!!

Bring back pacman I say

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 11:27 am

right near where i live there's a pac-man, a ms. pac man, galaga, a pole position, and i think there's even a space invaders not too far off! just around various places. a lot of them are reissues. i think the retro games are making a comeback for that very reason, these new games are inscrutable to anyone over the age of 14.

Written By: cables on 10/28/05 at 1:53 pm

I can't believe we're on the third page and I'm the first person to mention Pong! You lot must be really young!

Of course you know Pong! Two lines which were supposed to be table tennis bats and a square that was supposed to be the ball. That would be mid 70s.

Second arcade game I played would be Space Invaders, about 1979. Scramble was my favourite - guide your spaceship through lots of caves with nasty things attacking you from all sides.

Anyone remember Phoenix?

And while we're on the subject of whereabouts in the UK people live, I'm 10 miles away from Liverpool - yes, that's right, where the Beatles were from.

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/05 at 1:59 pm

I can't believe we're on the third page and I'm the first person to mention Pong! You lot must be really young!

Of course you know Pong! Two lines which were supposed to be table tennis bats and a square that was supposed to be the ball. That would be mid 70s.

Second arcade game I played would be Space Invaders, about 1979. Scramble was my favourite - guide your spaceship through lots of caves with nasty things attacking you from all sides.

Anyone remember Phoenix?

And while we're on the subject of whereabouts in the UK people live, I'm 10 miles away from Liverpool - yes, that's right, where the Beatles were from.

Pong was so simple, it's almost a forgettable game  ;D

I remember Phoenix.  I still have the Atari 2600 cartridge and still play it from time to time :)

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 2:01 pm

was that ever a coin-op, pong? i think we've been mostly sticking to coin-ops although i'm not sure that was part of the original question. i could never talk my parents into getting me a pong game. i used to play like i was playing "pong" by using one domino to bounce another domino against a wall on a tile floor so it would slide right. which is about as fun as playing with scraps of rubber.

for whatever reason i seem to be a catalog of old video game references in old movies -- there's this fabulous flick called "the parallax view" from 74 that has this scientist who's trying to teach this monkey how to play pong. naturally the monkey sucks, but the scientist insists he's getting better at it.

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 2:05 pm

dag! harsh words for pong! i wanted pong so bad when i was a kid, i could taste it. the upgrade, breakout, was cooler though. i think that WAS a coin-op. i can remember it had a metal knob. (er, that sorta came out sounding kinda wrong.)

phoenix was the best. i too had the phoenix cartridge for the 2600 and played it probably just a few months ago. it was like an atari date, played it with my girlfriend at the time. it was pretty loyal to the original, i thought.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/28/05 at 3:24 pm

Good question, and a tough one for me. I know it had to be the mid to late 70's, and I'm going to guess that the first coin-op game I played was similar to this:

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/I/cIndy_800.jpg

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/screens/S/wSprint_8.gif

Around that time, my family bought one of the early Atari home systems, called "Video Pinball:"

http://www.cyberroach.com/cyromag/six/mvc-909f.jpg

This was before the 2600 came out, and it had 6 or 7 games built in, including "Breakout."

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 4:11 pm

aw man, great screenshots. i totally remember that goofy indy game. so fun.

i want to find some screenshots of boot hill.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/28/05 at 4:18 pm

aw man, great screenshots. i totally remember that goofy indy game. so fun.

i want to find some screenshots of boot hill.
Check out this website, they have a great listing of classic video games:

http://www.klov.com

(That's where I got a lot of my screenshots.)

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 4:36 pm

"doteaters" is pretty great too. (you can do a keyword search and it comes right up.) there are a few wonderful comprehensive histories of videogames out there. it's really an interesting topic.

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 6:07 pm

Anyone remember Phoenix?

Of course! Pong! How silly of me! Pong is still a great game to this day. It's nice and simple... and, more importantly, fun. No shooting things, or swearing incorporated into it. Just basic, harmless fun

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 6:25 pm

Of course! Pong! How silly of me! Pong is still a great game to this day. It's nice and simple... and, more importantly, fun. No shooting things, or swearing incorporated into it. Just basic, harmless fun

you've obviously never played "pong 2: bonecrusher vs. the undead flesheaters."

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/05 at 6:29 pm

One of the first arcade games I can remember getting me all pissed off was Pac-Land  ;D

There were all kinds of hidden bonuses in that game and to get them, you had to push hydrants, trees, and cactuses in the opposite directions.  Usually the clock would run out or one of the ghosts would get me  :(

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 6:37 pm

anybody ever play "paperboy"? that was a game i had a definite love-hate relationship with. i'm not sure i ever heard of "pac-land," was that a pac-man rip? i remember they had super pac-man and pac-man jr. but they never really took off.

useless factoid: when pac-man gets huge in super pac-man, the creators insist that it's because he's hovering OVER the maze, rather than because he actually grows. it's like a forced perspective thing. how's that for splitting hairs?

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 6:38 pm

anybody ever play "paperboy"? that was a game i had a definite love-hate relationship with. i'm not sure i ever heard of "pac-land," was that a pac-man rip? i remember they had super pac-man and pac-man jr. but they never really took off.

useless factoid: when pac-man gets huge in super pac-man, the creators insist that it's because he's hovering OVER the maze, rather than because he actually grows. it's like a forced perspective thing. how's that for splitting hairs?

I can remember Paperboy. It was released for the Sega Master System

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/05 at 7:39 pm

it may have been Donkey Kong, but not sure what an arcade video game is  ??? :-haywards heath, it's a little 'commuter dormitory', as it's said thereabouts, a 20-minute or so train ride from brighton, on the "south coast." (that will always sound a little funny to me...)
Haywards Heath, can you get more English than that?!

I noticed.  When I was in Brighton it was the middle of June, but it was about 15 degrees Celsius, with a chilly drizzle in the air, and stinging spray coming off the surf.  A sign boasted "Clothing Optional Area."  I thought, "What's that, some kind of a joke?, might as well open a nude beach in Greenland!"  Anyway, most people popping down to Brighton for the proverbial "dirty weekend" are not people you'd want to see in the buff...even with your eyes shut!
:D

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 7:45 pm

in the interest of perversely breaking the rules, back in the early 80s there was this little handheld football game that was this huge phenomenon for a few months when i was in, oh, eighth grade or thereabouts. it was an LED, like a pocket calculator, and the players were just little dashes but it was oh so fun. if you were good you could go around the outside and go all the way to the endzone for the big win! i was only able to do that a couple times.

man, that's something i'd like to dig up on ebay. i bet there are some that still work, that's one good thing about those simple electronics, they're super-durable. good luck finding a working computer running windows 2000 20 years from now, know what i mean?

god, could i get off this site already? lol.

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/05 at 7:52 pm

in the interest of perversely breaking the rules, back in the early 80s there was this little handheld football game that was this huge phenomenon for a few months when i was in, oh, eighth grade or thereabouts. it was an LED, like a pocket calculator, and the players were just little dashes but it was oh so fun. if you were good you could go around the outside and go all the way to the endzone for the big win! i was only able to do that a couple times.

man, that's something i'd like to dig up on ebay. i bet there are some that still work, that's one good thing about those simple electronics, they're super-durable. good luck finding a working computer running windows 2000 20 years from now, know what i mean?

god, could i get off this site already? lol.

Electronic Quarterback?

http://www.handhelden.com/coleco/Quarterback.jpg

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/28/05 at 7:53 pm

Pac Man

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 8:40 pm

Pac Man

Another obvious classic! I played Pac-Man the other day on a Free Internet Games site. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Written By: robby76 on 10/28/05 at 8:49 pm

I do believe I know the site... is it triplets and us? I downloaded Pacman and Space Invaders. I'm not really into games so I played them like once or twice. Great flashbacks though!

Written By: Morton on 10/28/05 at 8:52 pm

I do believe I know the site... is it triplets and us? I downloaded Pacman and Space Invaders. I'm not really into games so I played them like once or twice. Great flashbacks though!

I really can't remember. It was a free internet games site, I know that much. There were no downloads involved, I just clicked to see the menu of games available and selected 'PacMan'

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/28/05 at 10:20 pm

Pac-Man

Written By: Tia on 10/29/05 at 12:00 am

Electronic Quarterback?

http://www.handhelden.com/coleco/Quarterback.jpg

omgomgomgyes. i loved that game.

thus begins my ebay quest. i really want one. that thing has got gameboy beat seven ways to sunday!

p.s. anyone whose first game was pacman is just entirely too young! dag.

:)

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/05 at 12:26 am

thus begins my ebay quest. i really want one. that thing has got gameboy beat seven ways to sunday!

U can even get mini versions of Electronic Quarterback on a keychain.  I got one for 99 cents in a bargain bin in a sporting goods store

Written By: rich1981 on 10/29/05 at 1:27 am

Oh Lord, that takes me way back!

Written By: cables on 10/29/05 at 4:51 am

in the interest of perversely breaking the rules, back in the early 80s there was this little handheld football game finding a working computer running windows 2000 20 years from now, know what i mean?

In similar vein, I had a handheld space invader game - it was a leaving present when I changed job in 1980! As far as I know it still works, but it's taken up permanent residence in my daughter's bedroom - I told her she could have it on long-term loan, but it's still mine! I must dig it out and have a game. If I can get my hands on it soon, I'll take a photograph and upload it for you.

Did Windross 2000 ever work?

Mark - posting with the power of RISC OS 5 with an iMac also on the desk!

Written By: Tia on 10/29/05 at 9:23 am

har! yeah, touche on the windows 2000. i mean these computers won't even turn on. but gah, windows makes me tear my hair out. you can pretty much drop an atari 2600 out of an airplane and it'll still work fine.

i used to really jones for these too but i'm not sure i was ever able to talk my folks into getting me one...

http://www.ggdb.com/img/ggdb/vol0/5515_1_th_gm.jpg

Written By: nycmystery on 10/29/05 at 11:18 am

zaxson was probably the first major game i remember,,,nut i loved smash tv also

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/05 at 11:21 am

zaxson was probably the first major game i remember,,,nut i loved smash tv also

I remember Smash TV.  The two joysticks thing was cool

Written By: Tia on 10/29/05 at 11:29 am

zaxxon was great. i remember getting into that about the same time as i was obsessed with vanguard.

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/05 at 12:38 pm

That's a fun game.  Also quite difficult it is  :o

It is very difficult. I managed to get to level 4 and that is just plain stupid.  ;D

The massive mothership on level 3 is still very impressive to look at.

Written By: vinyl lover on 10/29/05 at 8:18 pm

i remember playing pong in the movie theater.the screen would face skyward.the sound was just a mmm,mmmph,mmmp.another first game was played on nintendo called punchout.after i beat glass joe ,i thought i was unbeatable..until reality set in..lol

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/05 at 8:34 pm

i remember playing pong in the movie theater.the screen would face skyward.the sound was just a mmm,mmmph,mmmp.another first game was played on nintendo called punchout.after i beat glass joe ,i thought i was unbeatable..until reality set in..lol

Glass Joe was very easy, which is what Nintendo was going for.  Make the first guy look easy, then make you pump in thousands of quarters to beat the next guy  ;D

Written By: vinyl lover on 10/29/05 at 9:42 pm

then they came up with an updated version entitled"mike tysons punchout"!Same thing only now tyson gets revenues and squanders it away on stuff he dont need.

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/05 at 9:56 pm

then they came up with an updated version entitled"mike tysons punchout"!Same thing only now tyson gets revenues and squanders it away on stuff he dont need.

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was great.  I could wither KO or TKO every boxer up until Bald Bull in the first round :)

Written By: Tia on 10/30/05 at 12:17 am

omg. you think you love retro arcade games? YOU GOT NOTHIN'.

and come to think of it, neither do i, as i realized once i saw this particular pic.

http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A50823/high/bmegl118981.jpg

dag.

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/05 at 12:20 am

holy now that's a tatoo

Written By: Tia on 10/30/05 at 12:24 am

kaaaa-RAZY. :D

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/05 at 12:35 am

If you thought that tatoo was something, you ain't seen nothin' yet:

http://www.nescapades.com/gameroom.htm

Written By: Tia on 10/30/05 at 12:35 am

here's a couple more.

i actually kinda dig the funky old-school-futuristic "A". i might steal that one, but use a different letter.

http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A50817/high/bmegl114386.jpg

http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A51027/high/bmepb154694.jpg

i dunno about the atari thing, though. if i were gonna tattoo a corporate logo on myself, the atari logo would be high on my list, but there's something about that whole idea that spooks me. why not get the golden arches on your forehead, y'know?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/05 at 1:42 pm

Does anybody remember an arcade game called "Sea Wolf"?  You controlled a submarine and fired at ships and stuff.  I liked it, but it was kinda lackluster compared to the space games and the Pacman-type games.

Written By: Tia on 10/30/05 at 2:12 pm

Does anybody remember an arcade game called "Sea Wolf"?  You controlled a submarine and fired at ships and stuff.  I liked it, but it was kinda lackluster compared to the space games and the Pacman-type games.

the best thing about seawolf was that cool periscope handle with the little button on it. it was this big heavy metal thing. at least i remember it that way; of course, i was quite a bit smaller back then.  :)

i seem to remember it having cool blip blippy sonar noises too.

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/05 at 2:14 pm

I remember playing PacLand in the arcades. It was awful and was like playing in slow-motion.  ;D

Written By: DreamRiser on 10/30/05 at 3:17 pm

PONG, on an Atari in like 1985

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/05 at 4:35 pm

I remember playing PacLand in the arcades. It was awful and was like playing in slow-motion.  ;D

Pac-Land was very difficult.  The whole button control thing always threw me off, especially the parts where you have to spring over the water, and keep on pushing the buttons to levitate slowly

Written By: Atari on 10/30/05 at 7:23 pm

I've got a working one of those that I'd NEVER sell in a million years :)

As for my first arcade game, that would be the FIRST coin-op video game, Computer Space. I was fortunate enough to live in California around the time it came out (1971-1974) and they had one on the base that my dad was stationed at. It was a blast being 5 years old and playing that thing :)

Of course, from there it was onto the coin-op Pong (yes, it existed), Space Race, Sea Wolf, Gunfight, etc.

But what changed my life was taking a tour through Atari's Los Gatos offices and plant in 1975. This was right around the time Steve Jobs and Woz (the founders of Apple Computer) were working on coinop Breakout there (I didn't meet them, unfortunately), and I got to meet Eugene Jarvis (the designer of Defender and Robotron), who was programming pinballs there. I met a few other engineers there, but I can't remember any of them. Jarvis stands out, as I remember seeing a picture of him in an old Joystiks magazine and reading his bio, and thinking "I KNOW THAT GUY!" My life has never been the same.

Now I own a few machines. Tank (1974), Breakout (1976), Anti-Aircraft (1975), Steeplechase (1975), Tempest (1981), and Battlezone (1980), among a few other non- Atari games.

Atari will always rule!

My site: http://www.atarikee.com

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 7:30 am

tempest is a great game. i'm sick with envy!  ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/31/05 at 7:35 am

Space Invaders, in the form of those console tables found in pubs.

Beeeepp  beeeeeeep  ;D

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 10:56 am

If you thought that tatoo was something, you ain't seen nothin' yet:

http://www.nescapades.com/gameroom.htm

wow, i'm speechless. my favorite thing is his FAQs. they all basically boil down to:

Q: what's the matter with you? are you insane?
A: no. i'm perfectly normal.

Check for new replies or respond here...