inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: (80's) Any movie whizzes?

Written By: Julie on 10/28/05 at 10:31 am

I barely remember this particular movie.  But it has plagued me for close to 20 years wondering about it.  Noone I have asked has a clue to what it would be...  What I remember about it is a young man goes to an old house/hotel (possibly with the cliched howling winds and lighting) to, I believe, write a novel.  There was supposed to be a guy locked in the attic of this house for man many years for murdering maybe his sister...pregnant sister.  In the movie several people were killed and they finally opened the attic to find claw makrs where the "prisoner" tried to claw through and had somehow escaped.  Buuuut at the end of the movie all the people that have been killed rise, peeling off a fake wound of some sort and, in short, explain that the whole thing had been made up to inspire his novel.  I know it is a long shot..but someone may remember.  Please help me so I know I didn't dream it  ;)
embalmerjules@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: (80's) Any movie whizzes?

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 11:09 am

sorry, no idea, and i thought i'd seen every 80s movie in the world! sounds really interesting though, except maybe for the whole it-was-all-a-dream ending.

what was deathtrap about? it had some of that play-within-a-play type stuff in it.

Written By: Julie on 10/28/05 at 1:30 pm

Ha ha.  I am sure it wasn't a dream but it is odd that I can't find anyone whe remembers it.  I know that I saw it on TV as a child.  I am 27 now.  I am pretty sure it had that male actor in it that is in a lot of spooky movies with the real recognizable scary movie voice...you know, the guy who says ee-vyyl.  I bet I am making no sense lol  I don't know what you mean about the death trap ( I am sorry)  But, yes, play within a play type thing.  If you might now who's voice I am thinking of that would help.  He was used in tons of spooky movies, commercials etc. Almost sounde like it had some sort of a lisp on his esses, like a hiss.  Thanks a lot.  ::)

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 1:39 pm

uioi have two movies that i've carried around that were like that. one was a movie i saw on t.v. when i was a kid and all i could remember was that there were a couple of mountain climbers tied to each other and one reaches the top of a ledge and hears a scream from the other guy, and then when he pulls up the other guy HE HAS NO HEAD! that's all i remember because it totally traumatized me and i had to run up and hide under the covers and missed the rest of the movie. i subsequently learned that the movie is "the crawling eye" so i saw it recently and actually liked it quite a lot.

the other was a foreign movie i also saw as a kid, i think in a theater with my parents, and all i remember from it was that all these people got shot. like there's this one scene where this guy's sitting in an apartment looking at this other couple making out in an apartment across the street and BANG! one of em gets shot. there's this other scene where he's on an escalator and there's this guy coming up the other side of it and his forehead is all bloody because he's been SHOT! it was really weird, if it was a real movie then it must have been some kinda arty surreal thing. anyway, it totally messed me up too, i was all scared and stuff. i was definitely younger than ten. i've never been able to track that one down. my parents thought it might have been "Z," but i saw it recently and that's not it. "Z" was pretty good, though, interesting.

now does THAT sound familiar?

Written By: Kenosha on 10/28/05 at 3:02 pm

¦nbsp
this really bugs me...what does the nbsp mean? I have seen it alot in replys on here

Written By: Julie on 10/28/05 at 3:22 pm

Ihave no idea what it means either.  probably that I am doing something lame-ha
No, neither of those movies sound remotely familiar.  Sorry.  Buuut I did remember the one of the guy's in the movie that had the eee-vyyl voice also did the voice over on M. Jackson's "Thriller" video..I just can't think of his name.  Verry well known.  Surely someone on here knows who that was.   :-\\

Written By: Kenosha on 10/28/05 at 3:36 pm

The guy in the Thriller voice is Vincent Price

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 4:08 pm

No, neither of those movies sound remotely familiar.  

i found the one, and i have no idea why i want to find the other, since it should be clear from my description it was perfectly dreadful. but somehow i've always been curious.

ntsb

national transportation safety board? i dunno, i see that sort of thing when people are using text editors that insert control characters, like em dashes or smart quotes. i'm wondering if it's something like that. i just kinda read over them.

i tell you what makes me nuts is the "someone posted something so you might want to review your post" thing. that makes me batty.

Written By: Julie on 10/28/05 at 4:30 pm

Hey great news.  I am 99% sure I have found the movie.  Someone reminded me about Vincent P being the voice of Thriller.  Then, thanks to Kenosha I looked up his filmography and through research found a movie called House of the Long Shadows.  I recommend it and can't wait to see it after all these years of wondering/searching for it.  What nostalgia this will bring!  Thanks soo much for your all's help!

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 4:50 pm

great! meanwhile i'm high and dry with my french shooting-spree movie. dag.

:)

i'm totally putting it on my netflix queue, house of the long shadows. i've actually heard good things about that one.

Written By: jlp937 on 10/29/05 at 1:33 am

Julie it is definitely House of the Long Shadows!!  It is a totally awesome flick that starred Desi Arnez Jr., John Carradine, and Christopher Lee.  There is an irony about this post that maybe one day I will explain on here.  This is my very first post to this website.  However, I am not new to the 80s arena.  I have long been an addict of the movies and music or what I feel is the best decade ever!

Anyway, it is so unfortunate that House of the Long Shadows isn't available on any format right now VHS or DVD :\'( :\'(  Maybe someday someone that was in that film will become a huge star and all of the little pics that they used to be in will resurface.  Hey it happened to Travolta!

Written By: Tia on 10/29/05 at 9:27 am

This is my very first post to this website.  However, I am not new to the 80s arena.  I have long been an addict of the movies and music or what I feel is the best decade ever!

oo! i think you're gonna like it here then.

Written By: julie on 10/29/05 at 11:08 am

I actually looked it up one ebay yesterday and found it on DVD.  Geeez  I hope that after all these years and finally figuring it out that I can get it???? 

Written By: vinyl lover on 10/29/05 at 9:48 pm

at first i thought you were describing a movie called"bad ronald".it was similar but the dead people never rose.he just gave him self away by having little peep holes in the walls to see the people .

Check for new replies or respond here...