inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Depeche Mode album

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/05 at 7:25 pm

I post this on the '80s board because Playing The Angel is the best Depeche Mode album since 1989!  I say it's their best since Music for the Masses.  That is, it's better than Violator, that's right, but not as good as Black Celebration, but I would never expect DM to outdo that record!  More to the point, it's vastly superior to everything DM did from '93-'02.

If you like classic DM songs such as "Fly on the Windscreen," "Enjoy the Silence," "Personal Jesus," "Never Let Me Down Again," and "It Doesn't Matter," you'll love Playing The Angel
Even the songs David Gahan wrote are pretty good!  How about that?
...And it's full of classic Mode darkness and angst!
They note on the back cover: "Pain and suffering in various tempos."  And so well done!

Best songs:
Damaged People
John the Revelator
Precious
Lilian

Worst songs:
Macro
I Want It All

Subject: Re: New Depeche Mode album

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/05 at 1:37 pm

What? I guess there are no Depeche Mode fans around anymore?

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/30/05 at 4:30 pm

What? I guess there are no Depeche Mode fans around anymore?

Yes there are, Max. I just haven't had the time to buy the album, that's all.

I post this on the '80s board because Playing The Angel is the best Depeche Mode album since 1989!  I say it's their best since Music for the Masses.  That is, it's better than Violator, that's right, but not as good as Black Celebration, but I would never expect DM to outdo that record!  More to the point, it's vastly superior to everything DM did from '93-'02.

If you like classic DM songs such as "Fly on the Windscreen," "Enjoy the Silence," "Personal Jesus," "Never Let Me Down Again," and "It Doesn't Matter," you'll love Playing The Angel. 
Even the songs David Gahan wrote are pretty good!  How about that?
...And it's full of classic Mode darkness and angst!
They note on the back cover: "Pain and suffering in various tempos."  And so well done!

Best songs:
Damaged People
John the Revelator
Precious
Lilian

Worst songs:
Macro
I Want It All

I take your word for it. :) I was pleasantly surprised with "Precious" and it really makes me wanna hear the rest of the album. I know DM are not in the habit of releasing the most commercial track of any album for their first single - but "Precious" does surprisingly well in our charts. Bearing that in mind, the rest of the album HAS to be outstanding. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/05 at 2:41 am

Yes there are, Max. I just haven't had the time to buy the album, that's all.

I take your word for it. :) I was pleasantly surprised with "Precious" and it really makes me wanna hear the rest of the album. I know DM are not in the habit of releasing the most commercial track of any album for their first single - but "Precious" does surprisingly well in our charts. Bearing that in mind, the rest of the album HAS to be outstanding. :)

It's not as creative in composition as the early stuff, but it they'll never achieve that electroacoustic richness again unless they're willing to experiment with metal scraps and kitchen crockery again.  "Playing the Angel" is getting billed as a more rock-oriented album than "Ultra" and "Exciter."  But it's NOT a stab at the "Songs of Faith and Devotion" kind of nonsense again.  I wouldn't say it's more "rock," but it's grittier (in a good way), and edgier than more recent fare.  And "Damaged People" may be the most emotionally stirring ever wrote.  I mean, it may be, haven't decided yet!

Written By: FastFashionFan on 11/01/05 at 3:12 am

Playing the Angel is a very good album. It beats Exciter, Speak and Spell and Construction Time Again but I prefer all the others over it...

Written By: 80s gail on 11/01/05 at 12:59 pm

Not heard this album yet, I much prefer the early eighties, new romantic depeche mode, may give it a go though.

Check for new replies or respond here...