inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Looks of the 2000s

Written By: T on 10/30/05 at 7:37 pm

I know a lot of people even today may wear some clothing or hairstiyles or other  looks that looks very 80s, which for some reason I feel good about, sense it is my favorite decade and time of some of the greatest moments of my life . I know sometimes I style my hair an 80s look, or place the lower part of my pants inside my cowboy. Do anybody else sometimes still dress or something in a 1980s way?

Subject: Re: 80s Looks of the 2000s

Written By: Atari on 10/30/05 at 7:43 pm

I know a lot of people even today may wear some clothing or hairstiyles or other  looks that looks very 80s, which for some reason I feel good about, sense it is my favorite decade and time of some of the greatest moments of my life . I know sometimes I style my hair an 80s look, or place the lower part of my pants inside my cowboy. Do anybody else sometimes still dress or something in a 1980s way?

Well, I still wear jeans and t-shirts. Does that count?

I'm kidding :) I think I'd look pretty silly wearing Chams poofy-shouldered shirts and parachute pants these days! And I don't have any hair left to style.

I guess my answer would be a big fat NO :)

Written By: Todd on 10/30/05 at 9:29 pm

I see lots of 80s inspired clothes that are out now.  Striped tops, tiered miniskirts (rah rah skirts) and full circle skirts.  Also leggings and colored tights....  And WHAT am improvement over the dull clothes of the 90s!!

Written By: robby76 on 10/30/05 at 11:53 pm

Stilletto's with pedal pushers for girls and loafers and pink shirts for guys. In the UK, 80's fashions are rife!

Written By: jlp937 on 10/30/05 at 11:58 pm

The 80s fashions sure are coming back in full force.  Among them I am surprised at all of the 80s kind of hairstyles that I have seen more of lately.  One trend I don't think will come back in is rolling up the jeans so that the colored socks and white keds can be seen! :D.  I myself am trying to collect some 80s themed t-shirts.  I love the way they fit and the fact that they have my favorite movies or music groups on them.

Written By: Loven1 on 10/31/05 at 1:51 am

I think there are a lot of 70s styles that are back today as well.  The simple striped t-shirts and novelty shirts from 70s and 80s are becoming popular again.

Written By: Chasey on 11/02/05 at 6:32 am

Today, anything goes in the UK (despite these oh-so-annoying shows where two stuck-up women tell you what they think you should wear), and that means we've seen a lot more of the 70's and 80's in fashion recently.

Stripes, Lacoste Polos, Leggins, wristbands and accessories to name but a few have all made a comeback in todays society.

Me, well...I still sport a pair of Wayfarers  8)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/02/05 at 7:54 am

Today, anything goes in the UK (despite these oh-so-annoying shows where two stuck-up women tell you what they think you should wear), and that means we've seen a lot more of the 70's and 80's in fashion recently.

Stripes, Lacoste Polos, Leggins, wristbands and accessories to name but a few have all made a comeback in todays society.

Me, well...I still sport a pair of Wayfarers   8)

Guess that's makes both of us cool then  ;D ;D

8) <<<------- me in my Raybans.

Written By: Chasey on 11/02/05 at 9:37 am

lol!  :D

Actually, it looks like we need to keep hold of our Ray-bans, as they appear to be growing in popularity.

Just do a search on 'Wayfarer sunglasses' on ebay, and the bid amounts are somewhat surprising..... :o

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/02/05 at 7:39 pm

I totally think I still look 80's! I changed my picture to a Xmas one...ya know to get in the holiday spirit...and that was from last year, but I had on a red polo shirt and white sweatshirt. I wish I had all my 80's clothes back, cause that's what I miss the most. And I miss how guys looked in the 80's, cause I hate the way men dress now, they all look like criminals, and I find the look of most of today's men to be repulsive....bring back the feathered hair and preppy look, dockers and deck shoes!

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/02/05 at 10:10 pm

80s is definitly back in terms of fashion. Among other 80s fashions i've noticed heaps of emo kids wearing the new wave of tight skinny leg stretch jeans & smaller tighter fitted t-shirts. That's really how i've always dressed minus the really tight stretch jeans because they've been impossible to get untill now. I went & bought a few pairs as soon as i found out that Lee & Levis were doing them again. I've never worn my jeans baggy or loose anyway so before the stretch jeans came back this year Levis 501s were always what i wore with small fitted band tees. For me these things aren't fashion it's just what i've always worn, whether it's the 80s or not.

Written By: chiefyamick on 11/03/05 at 12:05 am

Gee, I wonder if BUM Equipment shirts will make a miraculous comeback!!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/03/05 at 3:17 am

lol!  :D

Actually, it looks like we need to keep hold of our Ray-bans, as they appear to be growing in popularity.

Just do a search on 'Wayfarer sunglasses' on ebay, and the bid amounts are somewhat surprising..... :o

Amazing isn't it - I was actually on eBay some weeks ago looking at vintage stuff, and even those enormous framed Gucci/Versace gogs in sickly purples and orange colours are worth a small fortune now.

Written By: TC1970 on 11/03/05 at 8:26 pm

I still tend to still make my hair big.:p  S for clothes, I guess the closest thing is tapered leg jeans. Other then that, not much from the 80's I would wear now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/08/05 at 8:15 am

Gee, I wonder if BUM Equipment shirts will make a miraculous comeback!!

I still have some of those myself and it doesn't seem extremely dated yet (it's more mid to late 90's). At least I haven't noticed any laughs or pointing when I wear one out in public, lol.

The fashion is still SOMEWHAT "late 90s" anyway. In that sense, people aren't as trendy as they once were it seems.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/08/05 at 8:23 am

I totally think I still look 80's! I changed my picture to a Xmas one...ya know to get in the holiday spirit...and that was from last year, but I had on a red polo shirt and white sweatshirt. I wish I had all my 80's clothes back, cause that's what I miss the most. And I miss how guys looked in the 80's, cause I hate the way men dress now, they all look like criminals, and I find the look of most of today's men to be repulsive....bring back the feathered hair and preppy look, dockers and deck shoes!

Hey, if it helps any, I'm a guy and I at least sort of still dress 80's (albeit in a more mild/subdued sense, but kinda 80's nonetheless). :)

Mainly things like jean jackets, or even a T-shirt/plaid shirt combo (the real Marty dressed like that - which doesn't hurt my reason for doing so at all, lol). Overall, I just like bright colors, even if it's nothing extravagent. Now, I have friends who are into the "thug" look and all. I'm surrounded by it, so I have grown accustomed to it more with the years, but it doesn't appeal to me and probably never will.

As far as the 80's look generally coming back into style -- I think it's in its early stages (it's certainly more popular in 2005 than it was in 1995), but the "rap" look just has too much of a stranglehold over fashion and everything else.

In fact, I would almost say this is the reason we have yet to see a full 80's comeback. The 50's through the 80's were all different, but one thing they had in common was that it was all a general "rock" culture (the 90's also was to a lesser extent), so for instance, the 60's were able to come back in the late 80's.

But because today is mainly a "hip hop" culture, it contrasts too heavily with the "fun rock" style of the 80's for it to fit in today. Unfortunately.

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/08/05 at 9:27 am

I'm totally with you on that, the way some dudes dress these days is a joke. I hate that whole gangsta & skater look. I think besides my stovepipe stretch jeans & Levis denim jacket covered in band patches my style of dress tends to lean a bit more towards the 70s like the kids in the movie Detroit Rock City. You know, tight fitting band tees & Levis 501s in one size smaller than my actual size. Going clothes & jeans shopping these days drives me nuts & is a complete waste of time for me, because i'm part of a dying breed, the 70s/80s rocker (you know when rock was actually cool & fun). All i see now is classic & edgy stuff being replaced with really ugly yuppy-esque fasions & even uglier youth oriented fashions that are even aimed at over 25s nowadays. I don't even bother now i just do all my clothes shopping online & on Ebay. You'll be surprised how hard it is to get 501s in Australia these days. They've changed the fit & all you can get is the new recut 501s that have a wider leg & a lower waist (to suit some modern teen/youth bullsh!t style). When i found this out it really p*ssed me off & made me wanna tear down the whole store. To me that's total sacrelige. How dare they change "the original jeans" that have been an icon & a trademark for about 200 years. To make matters even worse Levis 501s in black have been totally dicontinued in Australia which made me even more mad & i got tired of ignorant & stupid sales people telling me to just go with the 504s in black because they are the same. Believe me they are not the same cut or fit & they don't sit even remotley similar. The 504s are way ugly compared to the perfect fitting 501s. Everything is so lame now, i just wanna destroy it all LOL.

Written By: MarcDaShark on 11/08/05 at 11:26 am

I'll bet that the Members Only Jacket may have it's chance of coming back.  Some of them are very nice-looking.  :)

Written By: Criz on 11/08/05 at 4:31 pm

You don't like Trinny and Susannah then eh? :P

I love the 80s fashions that are back. I have been wearing footless tights/leggings under skirts for around 2 years - and now, so many girls are wearing them.

For girls, puffball skirts, long beads, skinny jeans and belts around the waist are all in the season. And there have been loads of 80s bits and bobs since the start of the 21st century, for example, off-the-shoulder tops, pixie and cowboy boots, ra-ra skirts, sweat bands etc... And then there are Converse trainers, slogan t-shirts and stonewashed denim which never really left some of us at least!

It's nice that some items are revived, but then again there are some bad clothes from my favourite decade that should never come back! Over-sized shirts and bodysuits are prime examples!

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/08/05 at 7:15 pm

I hate that "THUG" look....yuck....this is my version of what I think a good looking man should look like:

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/08/05 at 7:19 pm

Here's some of the girls that I loved how they dressed and looked like in the 80's...this is the styles I wanna see in the stores:

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/08/05 at 7:22 pm

Here's more:

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/08/05 at 7:24 pm

More:

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/08/05 at 7:26 pm

This is another verison of a good looking guy:

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/08/05 at 7:28 pm

Now that's what I'm talking about:

I don't know what women think is good looking in today's world...because I haven't seen a guy that is as good looking as the guys from the 80's were.....the guys I dated in the 80's....looked as good as these guys I have posted...I just wanna know what happened to them all?

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/09/05 at 12:58 am

I hate that "THUG" look....yuck....this is my version of what I think a good looking man should look like:

Yeah i think the pics of the girls that you posted look OK, i don't mind that at all, looks better than some stuff i see girls wearing now.
And the first one of the guy has 70s hair, although a lot of guys wore it much longer in the 70s, but that was also the style aswell. 

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/09/05 at 1:15 am

Since my taste has always been from a rock point of view i hated the preppie look at the time, but now when i see it in old movies & TV shows it makes me feel nostalgic & i'd rather see that than what i'm seeing these days. I hired a horror movie the other day called The Nest & the female herion was dressed similar to one of the photos you posted & when i saw it i thought wow that's pretty daggy, but it's cute.

Check for new replies or respond here...