inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which song of the 80s made the biggest impact on the world?

Written By: OliverDK on 10/31/05 at 5:39 am

As we all know music have a way of affecting the world in the most surprising ways, according to the rumors Gobatjov gives "Scorpions - Wind of Change" the honor of having inspiried him to come up with Glastnost.

The way I heard it Scorpions was giving a concert in Moskva, and was of cause out seeing the city and down on the Mathias Rust International Airport (A.K.A. the Red Square) they came across a local rockband playing and ended up jamming with them, this was the first time "Wind of Change" was played in public.

Anyway, the story goes that Gobatjov was sitting in his office when he heard Scorpions and the local band jamming outside his window, apparently the lyrics of the song "Wind of Change" inspirired him to create what the world came to know as Glasnost/Perestrojka.

I don't know if this is true, but that's the way I heard.

Subject: Re: Which song of the 80s made the biggest impact on the world?

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/31/05 at 2:35 pm

definitely "Like a Virgin" by Madonna.

Written By: whistledog on 10/31/05 at 3:57 pm

We Are the World - USA for Africa

Written By: robby76 on 10/31/05 at 8:45 pm

It's not my favourite MJ song, but I reckon "Billie Jean" sent the world spinning... literally all four corners of the world went wild!

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 11/01/05 at 5:06 am

Yeah. MJ's Thriller had a big impact worldwide. So did Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction.

Written By: robby76 on 11/01/05 at 5:08 am

I remember the lauching and promotion for the Thriller video... the whole world was in suspense. He was the talk of the town earth!

Written By: Chasey on 11/02/05 at 6:35 am

In terms of impact, I'd say that Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'Relax' was a defining point in music.

'Relax' really did break the squeaky clean mould of commercial pop music, and laid the foundation for artists to receive more freedom and flexibility from the pop media than they had enjoyed previously.

Written By: MonkeyTaco on 11/02/05 at 7:20 pm

What about the Beastie Boys?  The Beastie Boys let the whole world know that not only is it okay to party but that it's their right!

Written By: OliverDK on 11/02/05 at 10:20 pm

These songs all had an impact on the music world, what I meant was songs that had an impact on the "Real" world, like "We Are the World" and songs like that.

Written By: Hairspray on 11/04/05 at 5:29 am

Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas Awesome tune! 8)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 11/04/05 at 6:21 am

Do They Know It's Christmas
We Are the World

Written By: Bobby on 11/04/05 at 6:52 am

Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas Awesome tune! 8)

I'm agreeing.  8)

Written By: cables on 11/04/05 at 9:59 am

I'm agreeing.

Written By: jlp937 on 11/04/05 at 11:59 pm

Oh yeah there would be a tie between Do They Know its Christmas and We are the World.  Very very influential songs of the decade.  I cannot think of any other hits that have stood out as much as those two.

Written By: OliverDK on 11/05/05 at 4:47 am

Oh yeah there would be a tie between Do They Know its Christmas and We are the World.  Very very influential songs of the decade.  I cannot think of any other hits that have stood out as much as those two.

How about "Northern Lights - Tears Are Not Enough" it's on the b-side of the "We Are the World" album, and my personal favorite of the BandAid songs.

Check for new replies or respond here...