inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite 80s Slang Term

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 10:54 am

i know someone must have done this before so sorry in advance for the duplicativeness. but inquiring minds want to know!

Subject: Re: Favorite 80s Slang Term

Written By: barefootrobin on 10/31/05 at 11:08 am

i know someone must have done this before so sorry in advance for the duplicativeness. but inquiring minds want to know!

My favorite was one a friend said the other day and we were all slayed!  "Blee Blah Blue"  Meaning:  "Big Whoo"  Meaning Big Deal, so what.....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/31/05 at 12:13 pm

Cool Beans!

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 12:18 pm

My favorite was one a friend said the other day and we were all slayed!  "Blee Blah Blue"  Meaning:  "Big Whoo"  Meaning Big Deal, so what.....

is that sorta like badaboom, badabing?

Written By: barefootrobin on 10/31/05 at 12:45 pm

is that sorta like badaboom, badabing?

So, so funny (- no - badaboom - badabing means like que serra serra, whatever will be will be - "blee bla blue" or "big woo"  would be a response to someone complaining about something,  like "my legwarmers keep falling down"  Oh big woo, stop buying them at k-mart"  "Blee Blah Blue the Pat Benatar look is so, like, gag me!"

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 12:58 pm

So, so funny (- no - badaboom - badabing means like que serra serra, whatever will be will be - "blee bla blue" or "big woo"  would be a response to someone complaining about something,  like "my legwarmers keep falling down"  Oh big woo, stop buying them at k-mart"  "Blee Blah Blue the Pat Benatar look is so, like, gag me!"

falling out of my chair! i thought badaboom was like, one thing leads to another... you use it in a story when you want to leave out the middle part. so ace frehley cuts in line at the KISS auditions and badaboom, badabing, next thing you know he's in the band...

i'm gonna start busting out "big woo" and see if it leads me inevitably to blee bla blue. i definitely remember "big whup." we used to say that constantly for those falling legwarmer moments.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/05 at 1:04 pm

Like, that is so totally tubular, like, you know, for sure, totally.  :D :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 1:05 pm

tubular! dammit, i can't believe i forgot that one. i almost wanna scratch this poll and start over.

Written By: Triviamom on 10/31/05 at 1:54 pm

falling out of my chair! i thought badaboom was like, one thing leads to another... you use it in a story when you want to leave out the middle part. so ace frehley cuts in line at the KISS auditions and badaboom, badabing, next thing you know he's in the band...

I think you're thinking of Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 1:58 pm

i had to edit the poll and add "tubular" and "fer shurr." i'm not worthy!

Written By: Triviamom on 10/31/05 at 1:59 pm

Totally! 8)

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 2:02 pm

i get the funny feeling the only people familiar with the term "scrub" were me and my scrub friends. did anyone else ever hear that one?

Written By: barefootrobin on 10/31/05 at 2:08 pm

i'm gonna start busting out "big woo" and see if it leads me inevitably to blee bla blue. i definitely remember "big whup." we used to say that constantly for those falling legwarmer moments.

No I think you're right about badaboom - I remembered another one, He is so totally Chachi!

Written By: barefootrobin on 10/31/05 at 2:14 pm

i get the funny feeling the only people familiar with the term "scrub" were me and my scrub friends. did anyone else ever hear that one?

Oh totally!  TLC wrote a song about it:

A scrub is a guy that thinks he’s fly
And is also known as a buster (busta, busta...)
Always talkin’ about what he wants
And just sits on his broke ass
So (no)

I don’t want your number (no)
I don’t want to give you mine and (no)
I don’t want to meet you nowhere (no)
I don’t want none of your time and (no)

Chorus:
I don’t want no scrub
A scrub is a guy that can’t get no love from me
Hanging out the passenger side
Of his best friend’s ride
Trying to holler at me
I don’t want no scrub

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 3:35 pm

Oh totally!  TLC wrote a song about it:

A scrub is a guy that thinks he’s fly
And is also known as a buster (busta, busta...)
Always talkin’ about what he wants
And just sits on his broke ass
So (no)

I don’t want your number (no)
I don’t want to give you mine and (no)
I don’t want to meet you nowhere (no)
I don’t want none of your time and (no)

Chorus:
I don’t want no scrub
A scrub is a guy that can’t get no love from me
Hanging out the passenger side
Of his best friend’s ride
Trying to holler at me
I don’t want no scrub

cool! i wasn't sure if that was a regionalism or what. we were scrubs and proud of it, skipping class to hang around the parking lot next to this one guy's souped-up chevelle, smoking cigarettes and listening to judas priest and looking bored.

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 5:46 pm

in speaking of tubular...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051031/od_nm/malibu_dc

just to show you that i derail my own threads too....

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 8:38 am

can you believe i forgot "gnarly"? gawd.

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 9:02 am

and "sike"! i forgot "sike"!

okay, okay, i know technically you're supposed to spell it "psych" or some such, but "sike" just feels more junior high school.

Written By: Kenosha on 11/01/05 at 11:44 am

The first time I remember hearing "scrub" was in " The Golden Child" when Eddie Murphy was playing basketball with the kids. My friend and I used it all the time after that.

Written By: 80s gail on 11/01/05 at 12:55 pm

Don't recognise any of these terms but then I won't!, over here I miss things such as "gimp", a heavy rock fan, and others such as "divvy" meaning someone not blessed with intelligence can't think of any more at the moment.

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 8:30 pm

thanks to max for the latest additions, "grody to the max" and "barf me out." once again, i should have known!

i couldn't help but notice that the candidates are far exceeding the voter turnout. it's your democracy people! it's up to you to make it work! :)

Written By: pell on 11/01/05 at 10:21 pm

I had to choose "other" and go with one that might have just been around here (southern Louisiana): "Fru fru".

I don't know if I spelled it right, but put the accent on the second "fru". I remember the preppy girls in Jr. High used to say that for something that was uncool in a silly way. "That purple polyester suit is fru fru (giggles)!" It sounds like it comes from French which is why I think it might be regional. I thought it was cute when they would say it. ::)

I didn't really use any of the slang in the list, except maybe "Sike" once or twice. I thought it was a very annoying word, kind of like "Not!" in the 90s. I don't know why, but it got on my nerves for some reason.

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/01/05 at 10:53 pm

totally..i still use it constantly.. :D

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 11:19 pm

that's so totally rad  8)

Written By: The_Plague on 11/02/05 at 5:44 am

Goonter Gleeten Glouten Gluden (Def Leppard fans anyone?)  :D

Written By: Tia on 11/02/05 at 6:26 am

Goonter Gleeten Glouten Gluden (Def Leppard fans anyone?)  :D

i always heard "goonter, gleeden, glotten gloaden"!  i guess that'll have to be the subject of another poll. :)

rad. oi. forgot that one too.

Written By: TC1970 on 11/02/05 at 7:41 am

Totally!! I use that all the time.  :P Like Me and Ryan are totally in love>  ;D

Written By: Kenosha on 11/02/05 at 9:33 am

Goonter Gleeten Glouten Gluden (Def Leppard fans anyone?)

Actaul lyrics are : Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/05 at 10:06 am

thanks to max for the latest additions, "grody to the max" and "barf me out." once again, i should have known!

i couldn't help but notice that the candidates are far exceeding the voter turnout. it's your democracy people! it's up to you to make it work! :)

I had no idea "Gimp" means a hard rocker - I always thought it was more a synonym for "jerk" or "dumba*s". The first I heard it was in Wayne's World. The scene where they get into an argument, and Garth points out everything that's wrong with Wayne compared to Benjamin.

He gets through examples A-E when Wayne shoots back, "How about 'F', you're a gimp!" ;D

Classic scene!

As far as the topic goes, I like all of them, but the most popular 80's slang is derived from Valley Girl/surfer dude phrases. This was popular from roughly 1982-85. Of course I've heard alot of them just because I'm pretty knowledgeable on the era, and have seen enough movies made then, etc. But some of them I never have personally used, or heard anyone else use for that matter. Even by 1987, I'm sure much of them were seen as outdated.

Written By: Tia on 11/02/05 at 10:21 am

i always thought gimp was a vaguely off-color term for someone who was handicapped/"diff'rently abled."

i've got a couple more, but i'm not sure about them. what about "my bad"-slash-"my b"? was that 80s or 90s?

also, the mention of 1987 called to mind "motor," as in heathers -- "well, gotta motor if i'm gonna make that funeral." was that an actual slang term, or was it pretty much invented for winona ryder?

Written By: BCRichrocker on 11/02/05 at 11:57 am

The only time I heard the term "scrub" was in Junior High. The saying was that (my JHS went from 7-9) 7th graders were "scrubs", 8th graders were "toilet washers", and the 9th grade seniors were the one's who made them do it.

Maybe my JHS was the only one with those terms.

Written By: GREEN67 on 11/02/05 at 10:45 pm

:D Gnarly Dude!!...I went to see Fast Times At Ridgemont High ...Had the checkered VANS and went throu the Surfer.....Stoned Phase..LOL...

Written By: pell on 11/03/05 at 12:19 am

i always thought gimp was a vaguely off-color term for someone who was handicapped/"diff'rently abled."

i've got a couple more, but i'm not sure about them. what about "my bad"-slash-"my b"? was that 80s or 90s?

also, the mention of 1987 called to mind "motor," as in heathers -- "well, gotta motor if i'm gonna make that funeral." was that an actual slang term, or was it pretty much invented for winona ryder?

We used to say "gotta motivate" instead of "motor".

I think "my bad" was 90s, but I'm not sure. Don't remember.

Written By: lastofthefamous on 11/03/05 at 6:21 am

id have to say grody because i say grody all the time and ppl are like huh?? also i say cool beans

Written By: The_Plague on 11/03/05 at 6:49 am

Actaul lyrics are : Gunter glieben glauchen globen

lol
thanks for the correction

Written By: Southern Image on 11/03/05 at 12:47 pm

Sike!

Written By: Tia on 11/03/05 at 1:03 pm

Sike!

"sike"'s awesome. i only thought of it after i'd already voted, otherwise it would have been a serious candidate.

although it's hard to beat "triflin'" in my book. i love "triflin'." that deserves to hold the hallowed slang ground held by such timeless classics as "groovy."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/05 at 6:09 pm

"You're a neo maxi zoom dweebie" wins hands down.
;D

A lot of the slang we used in the '80s was regional, or perhaps known only to our particular circle of friends.  Examples of our inner-circle '80s slang subculture: 

Zut: (pronounced like "zoot," as in "zoot suit.") originally a French derivation for "D*mn it!," however the meaning changed to a sarcastic exclamation indicating what the other person just said was pathetic or or dorky.  Example:
Older sister: Stay out of my room!  Nobody in this family respects my privacy!
Younger sister: ZUT!

Raspy:   Prevalent among the crowd my sister and I hung out with circa 1987.  In fact, my sister coined the term. Examples:
"The cut on my foot got infected, you should see it, it's tooootally raspy!"
(after a redneck spits tobacco juice on the sidewalk) "Oh, raaaaspy!"
Amplification: "Raspometer."  A rhetorical device for measuring degree of raspiness.  Examples:
"Tony was making out with that skanky girl from Lawrence at the party---HIGH Raspometer reading!"
Later "reading" implied the entire phrase.
"My manager at Burger King smokes Tipparillos with disposable holders.  I can get a reading off of that!"

Edie Schmeedie Heedie:  A line from "Pink Flamingos" spoken by Edith "Edie" Massey after being asked if she was Edie, Crackers' grandmother.  Our gay friend Phil started using it as a term to mean, "So what?," "Big deal," or "No problem."  Example:
"Sorry, they were out of Pall-Malls at the corner store, so I had to get you Parliaments."
"Edie Schmeedie Heedie."

Edie, Schmeedie, and Heedie also became nicknames of three kids my sister managed at the McDonalds.  Further more, my sister called me "Crackers" for years.  Some people would ask, "Isn't that a racial slur." I would say "Yes, and I call her White Trash!"

Ra-sha-sha: Another line from Edith Massey, this time in "Polyester" as "Cuddles Kovinsky," to Francine Fishpaw (Divine), "Oh Francine, you look so ra-sha-sha!"  Another adopted slang word courtesy of gay Phil.  It came to mean "cheesy while driving at chic."  Example:
That restaurant's got a Maitre'd and valet service, but when you go in, there's fake palm trees and cigarette burns in the table cloths, it's totally ra-sha-sha!

Sweets: (pronounced more like "switz")  This was more of a sarcastic form of address, always spoken in a sarcastic tone that evolved among us.  It sounded somewhere between WC Fields and Pee-Wee Herman.  Example:
(after being asked for the fourth time) "Are we stopping at McDonald's?
"YES, SWEETS, WE-ARE-STOPPING-AT-MCDONALDSSSSAH!!!"

Leuah:  A corruption of "lots" as spoken in said WC Fields/Pee-Wee Herman voice.  It was derived from saying, sarcastically, "I like it looooots!" and slurring it.  Example:
"My boyfriend just cut his hair into one of those rat tails---I LIKE-IT-LEEEAUUUHHH!!!"

Dullard: A general word for a dull person we some how adopted.  It refered to not only dumb people, but uncouth or derelict people.  Example:
"I liked that girl until I realized she hung out with all the dullards who wear Led Zeppelin t-shirts and unlaced workboots!"

Long-haireds:  Metalheads, bikers, druggie burnouts, generally unkempt disreputable characters.  Example:
"You know that greasy long-haired who drives the rusty Monte Carlo?  He just whipped a beer can out the window at me!"

and so on and so forth!
:D

Written By: kairi747 on 11/03/05 at 6:23 pm

cool beans!!   ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/05 at 6:26 pm

cool beans!!   ;D

Actually, my stepmother used to say that.  She wasn't trying to be hip.  It was just something she picked up.
::)

Written By: Tia on 11/03/05 at 6:33 pm

neo maxi zoon dweebie!

omg! what does that mean? i remember i used to hear that all the time but i had no idea what people were talking about. that's like a buckaroo banzai thang or something, right?

kee-rist i need to get off this damn web site. lol.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/05 at 6:54 pm

neo maxi zoon dweebie!

omg! what does that mean? i remember i used to hear that all the time but i had no idea what people were talking about. that's like a buckaroo banzai thang or something, right?

kee-rist i need to get off this damn web site. lol.

I don't know if it's origin is "The Breakfast Club," but that's where I got it.  Johnson starts to say how he doesn't get along with his parents either, and Bender retorts: "You're a neo maxi zoom dweebie, what would you be doing if you weren't out making yourself a better citizen?"
Something like that.

Written By: Tia on 11/06/05 at 1:13 pm

dag, can't believe i forgot all about "wicked." this is hard! the 80s had lots of slang!

ah, well, note to self for next time.

Written By: 80s gail on 11/13/05 at 12:04 pm

a gimp is a metal head but possibly only in st helens, england! unless other people in the uk used it. What does sike mean?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/13/05 at 12:05 pm

a gimp is a metal head but possibly only in st helens, england! unless other people in the uk used it. What does sike mean?

HAHA  It's also the name of a type of nail, a 'gimp' pin    ;D ;D

Written By: Tia on 11/13/05 at 12:08 pm

"sike" -- or "psych" -- is when you're joking with somebody, usually kinda insulting them, you throw a "sike!" at the end to mean you're just playin' with them. or if you fool somebody into doing something -- say, you put your hand out like youre gonna shake their hand, but at the last minute you snatch your hand back and run it through your hair, you throw in a "sike," or a "siked you out!" or something like that, to mean you fooled em.

it's very, very childish. and therefore funny.

Subject: Favorite 80s Slang Term

Written By: Dude111 on 02/20/18 at 5:25 am

I picked OTHER

My favoute is K-RAD and I say it often :)

Check for new replies or respond here...