inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Breakin & Breakin 2-Electric Boogaloo

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/01/05 at 8:32 am

These are my 2 favorite 80's movies. I  love the dancing. I love Turbo, Kelly and Ozone. I love the soundtrack. My favorite scene in part 1 is where they teach Kelly to breakdance to the song  "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Khan.  Does anyone else love this movie??? I also love the end of part 1 where they dance to "There's no stoppin us"...by Ollie & Jerry.

Subject: Re: Breakin & Breakin 2-Electric Boogaloo

Written By: robby76 on 11/01/05 at 8:45 am

My brother got these both on dvd a few years back. He was a breakdancer back in the day...  ;D

I love "There's No Stoppin' Us".

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 9:11 am

for whatever readon that makes me think of "the last dragon" -- i think it was called -- a martial arts movie from around the same time, i think it also had some break-dancing in it. that was such a HUGE fad.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 11/01/05 at 11:14 am

I also love Breakin and Breakin 2. I  like mostly  dance movies because I'm also a dancer.

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 11:20 am

I've never seen these movies, but I do love the soundtrack for the first Breakin'

Here's all the hits that came from the film:

Breakin' ... There's No Stopping Us - Ollie and Jerry
Freakshow on the Dance Floor - The Bar-Kays
Body Work - Hot Streak
99½ - Carol Lynn Townes

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 11:21 am

i could just do that little "wave" thing. i had a friend who was real good at "popping," he could totally "pop." (which is, if i recall, when you basically do all this complicated stuff with your hands and arms.) i never knew too many people who could do the stuff where you spin around on your back and etc.

i think i saw the first breakin' movie, never saw the second. weren't there a bunch of other breakin'-related flicks?

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 11:28 am

i think i saw the first breakin' movie, never saw the second. weren't there a bunch of other breakin'-related flicks?

There was one from 1984 called 'Beat Street' :)

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 11:38 am

beat street! that's the one. i think i'll pile up a bunch of breakin' movies in my queue now that i've seen every early 70s evil-cult movie ever made and halloween is over.

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 2:03 pm

i got the day off work, went to the library and got on netflix and some other guy's queue came up because a lot of different people use these computers and forget to uncheck the "remember me" check at login. so i totally put "breakin' 2: electric boogaloo" on the top of his queue. (and this totally abhorrent movie called "nude for satan" also.) man, what i wouldn't give to be a fly on franz's wall when he gets breakin' 2 in the mail instead of star wars episode III. it'll probably change his life.

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 2:05 pm

i got the day off work, went to the library and got on netflix and some other guy's queue came up because a lot of different people use these computers and forget to uncheck the "remember me" check at login. so i totally put "breakin' 2: electric boogaloo" on the top of his queue. (and this totally abhorrent movie called "nude for satan" also.) man, what i wouldn't give to be a fly on franz's wall when he gets breakin' 2 in the mail instead of star wars episode III. it'll probably change his life.

LOL You should have put in all kinds of X-Rated movies in his queue  ;D

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 2:07 pm

LOL You should have put in all kinds of X-Rated movies in his queue  ;D

they don't have X-rated movies on netflix. believe me i know. cuz i looked. and looked, and looked, and looked.

nude for satan probably sounds all racy and sexy and risque, but it's not. it's booorrrrrriiiiinnnnngggggg and weird and surreal. and nothing happens. enjoy, franz!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/01/05 at 3:33 pm

This has always bugged me.... what's a  Boogaloo supposed to be?  ::)  ;D

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 3:59 pm

This has always bugged me.... what's a  Boogaloo supposed to be?  ::)  ;D

i'm not sure, but it won't work unless you plug it in.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/01/05 at 6:10 pm

;D

Of course the Boogaloo would have to be plugged in....  ;D

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/01/05 at 7:13 pm

Tia- I don't know anything about Netflix.....but if you can find both these movies they are totally worth it. Lucinda Dickey only ever did 4 movies, plus a cameo in Grease 2. She was in Ninja 3-The Domination and Cheerleader Camp with Betsy Russell who is one of my favorite 80's actresses. To me there aren't any 2 movies that describe the 80's better than the Breakin movies.  There was Beat Street as someone mentioned...and Krush Groove....which I have both of them but never could get in to them, allthough I liked the part in Krush Groove where Sheila E sang "Love Bizarre". But, Breakin is my favorite...you can get them both at Best Buy for under $10.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/05 at 7:37 pm

Well, I do remember the whole Break Dance craze...the fashions, the music, and the moves.  I never watched the Breakin' flicks, but the pop culture was immersed in the Breakin' craze in '83 and '84.  Then there was the whole urban legend that street gangs were resolving their differences via breakdance competitions rather than violence.  This, of course, turned out to be bogus.  If a rival crack dealer is working your corner, you're not going to decide the dispute via the herky-jerky.  Sorry, that's just not how the world of criminal syndicalism operates.  It was fun to make pretend though, wasn't it?
:D

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 8:06 pm

Tia- I don't know anything about Netflix.....but if you can find both these movies they are totally worth it. Lucinda Dickey only ever did 4 movies, plus a cameo in Grease 2. She was in Ninja 3-The Domination and Cheerleader Camp with Betsy Russell who is one of my favorite 80's actresses. To me there aren't any 2 movies they describe the 80's better than the Breakin movies.  There was Beat Street as someone mentioned...and Krush Groove....which I have both of them but never could get in to them, allthough I liked the part in Krush Groove where Sheila E sang "Love Bizarre". But, Breakin is my favorite...you can get them both at Best Buy for under $10.

hmm, i threw krush groove on my queue, maybe i'll take it off in favor of breakin' 2. i put breakin' on, and i think i threw on the last dragon, i was always a big fan of that movie.

lawd help me, i've seen cheerleader camp. i'm into these obsolete genres and the cheerleader movie was a real phenom... i like the 70s ones better though, they're a lot like blaxploits, weirdly. 80s cheerleader movies were usually slasher knockoffs, and i'll take a blaxploit any day.

i think you'd dig netflix. i promise i don't get kickbacks from them. a friend of mine talked me into signing up with them and i swear by it now.

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 8:09 pm

;D

Of course the Boogaloo would have to be plugged in....  ;D

cause otherwise, see, it would be an acoustic boogaloo.

thank you! i'm here all week!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/01/05 at 9:43 pm

;D

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 9:45 pm

boogaloo - when your booga goes to the loo?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/01/05 at 9:50 pm

;D

A breakdancing kangaroo?  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 9:53 pm

;D

A breakdancing kangaroo?  ;D

They should have made that Atari Kangaroo breakdance.  It would have been a better game  ;D

http://www.ataritimes.com/arcade/images/kangaroo.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/01/05 at 9:55 pm

;D

I found out the actual defintion of Boogalo.....

The boogaloo dance was loose and interpretive in style. Early Boogaloo used a twelve-step sequence that was later sped up into a thirty-step sequence. It is to be distinguished from the Electric Booglaloo.

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Boogaloo

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 10:00 pm

holy a 30 step sequence?  Man, if I tried that, I'd be popping and locking alright ... mainly popping and locking up my back in like 8 places  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/01/05 at 10:02 pm

Me too...  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/01/05 at 10:50 pm

I totally remember those movies...I watched them when I was young...I would love to see them again.

Erin :)

Written By: Tony J Case on 11/08/05 at 1:28 am

I totally remember those movies...I watched them when I was young...I would love to see them again.

Boxed set, baby - just came out a month or two ago. Both Breakin' movies and Rappin' (which is not nearly as good).

You know, for all the grief that Breakin' 2 gets, I was expecting it to be much worse. Is it a great work of art? Not really - but it is a harmless fun little movie thats not much more important than an Andy Rooney "Lets save the orphanage by putting on a SHOW!" movies. Its got some good dancing in it, and really thats all I require from a breakdance movie.

Funny, I was expecting You Got Served to be kind of the same thing, but it lacked all the breakdancing. How sad was that?

Check for new replies or respond here...