inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Love Connection

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/01/05 at 11:11 am

Watching I Love the 80's 3-D this past week, with Chuck Woolery doing the "Best on-screen hookup" thing reminded me of this.

Who was/is a fan of this from the 80's? I'd love to see some old episodes, although it's unlikely they'd televise someone's date from twenty years ago now! :D

I vaguely recall a few episodes when it was actually airing. Plus, there were so many references in TV shows and movies, so I always knew about it. It briefly resurfaced in 1998/99 with a new host, Pat Bullard. I'd never heard of him before, but he had a good sense of humor and was pretty likable, much like Chuck was.

Whether it was a good date, a bad one or anything in-between, I found it all to be fun and entertaining. Simple was best - just the talks were interesting enough to me. I got really into it that year.

Unfortunately, it seems not enough people agreed with me 'cause it bit the dust by next season.:(

Subject: Re: Love Connection

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 11:27 am

I used to watch Love Connection all the time.  Chuck Woolery was such a great host.  Back in the 80's, I could get a double Wollery fix as on the channel I got, Scrabble and Love Connection ran back to back  8)

Some trivia:  Rod Roddy was the original announcer of Love Connection and juggled both it and Press Your Luck.  In 1985, he became the sub-announcer on The Price is Right, and that same year, left Love Connection.  When Press Your Luck was cancelled in 1986, Rod had officially become the regular Price is Right announcer

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/01/05 at 12:05 pm

^ Interesting trivia, Whistle.

I watched Love Connection every afternoon I could get the chance. I remember it came on around 3 or 4 pm because it was afterschool but almost evening time, so maybe it was 4pm. Anyhow, one thing I never understood until I was a bit older was how different the people looked from their video and then in real life (once the guy chose who he went on a date with). It was startling sometimes. It was a great show.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/01/05 at 3:31 pm

What about the The All-New Dating Game?

Written By: Skippy on 11/01/05 at 6:44 pm

They were showing Love Connection & Dating Game on Game Show Network. I no longer subscribe to it, so I'm not sure if they still show them.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/01/05 at 7:17 pm

The old episodes of the Love Connection have still been aired on TV....I saw it not long ago, and it was weird, because I could remember those "Love Connections" from back when the show originally aired, and I thought wow....they look so "80's" now, but when I was watching them, I was wearing the same stuff they were wearing. I miss the 80's fashion so bad.  Chuck Woolery actually has aged pretty good.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/01/05 at 11:00 pm

OMFG! My mom and I used to faithfully watch that show!  When we had Comcast cable last year, I used to watch the re-runs of it on the "Game Show Network"...but the cable that we have now doesn't offer it.  It was funny seeing some of the hairstyles and fashions, and hearing about the dates.  I used to hate when Chuck would say, "we'll be back in 2 and 2 (2 minutes and 2 seconds).......that got annoying! LOL!

Erin :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/02/05 at 12:40 am

OMFG! My mom and I used to faithfully watch that show!  When we had Comcast cable last year, I used to watch the re-runs of it on the "Game Show Network"...but the cable that we have now doesn't offer it.  It was funny seeing some of the hairstyles and fashions, and hearing about the dates.  I used to hate when Chuck would say, "we'll be back in 2 and 2 (2 minutes and 2 seconds).......that got annoying! LOL!

lol, yeah, I actually remember when he started using that 2 in 2 "tagline", our network kinda drove it into the ground when they'd advertise it. Yet, he was such a gentleman and such a great host, I forgave him for it. lol  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/05 at 12:53 am

He even used that 2 and 2 line on Scrabble and Greed.  It's kind of like his trademark now  :)

Written By: vinyl lover on 11/02/05 at 10:58 pm

they still show reruns on game show network.i seen it today..i went to a taping of it a long time ago and before the show would start ,chuck would come out and answer questions from the audience...as it happened to be; the night before on the' midnight movie' i seen chuck in a movie about an island theme..i asked him what the movie was about and he said "you dont want to know about that,lets move on to another question."  i guess he wasnt to proud of it..but yeah ,it was a good show.

Written By: jlp937 on 11/05/05 at 10:56 pm

I just read on Chuck Woolery's page on imdb.com that he only filmed Love Connection 39 days a year??  I wonder how many shows a day that they got in??

Check for new replies or respond here...