inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Valerie

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/08/05 at 10:04 am

Anyone remember the show Valerie. I totally forgot about it untill me & my girlfriend hired Teen Wolf 1 & 2 & i couldn't quite put my finger on where i remembered the kid from the second one from. Then it just hit me like a bolt of lightning & i got a flasback of the show Valerie. I think he played David in Valerie. The only episode i remember is when David's aunt or stepmom (can't remember) was trying to quit smoking & i remember the scene where she was sneaking a smoke in the bathroom & gets busted by David. It's funny that my memory of this show is so vague yet i can vividly remember things from even almost a decade before that.

Subject: Re: Valerie

Written By: kellygoo72 on 11/08/05 at 10:22 am

Iloved that show but for one reason and 1 alone... Jason Bateman :-* :-* :-*, he was such a doll and I love him in Arrested Development.. Great show EVERYONE should WATCH!!! Anyone remember his other show ITs ur Move?

Written By: Carl on 11/08/05 at 10:41 am

I thought for a second you meant the Steve Winwood song. LOL!!  ;D

I watched this show, eventually they called it 'The Hogan Family' when Valerie Harper's character had died. Didn't know the stroy behind it though.

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/08/05 at 10:56 am

I thought for a second you meant the Steve Winwood song. LOL!!  ;D

I watched this show, eventually they called it 'The Hogan Family' when Valerie Harper's character had died. Didn't know the stroy behind it though.

Oh that's right, The Hogan Family.
Most people on here have an advantage because of cable T.V. Cable T.V. gets reruns of some of the old T.V. shows. I don't have cable T.V. & never have, so i'm going 100% off memory when it comes to this sort of thing. I haven't seen a single episode of that show since it's original airing back in the 80s. Actually hold on a second, i just remembered another episode. It was the halloween one, it's so vague in my memory but i remember that was a really fun one. I think one of the younger brother's has a bad dream where David turns into a werewolf or something like that. A bit of a coincidence considering he would later be the main character in Teen Wolf 2. I'll never forget that episode though, that was great.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/08/05 at 11:13 am

I remember the show. It actually got better as the Hogan Family or the Hogans....whatever.

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/05 at 11:36 am

The show originally aired as Valerie from 1986-1987.  After a contract dispute, Valerie quit and so her character on the show was written out (killed in a car crash). 

Lorimar Entertainment (the company who produced the show) decided to sue Valerie for breach of contract, but when Sandy Duncan was brought in as the divorced Aunt and thus the show was re-titled Valerie's Family: The Hogans for the 1987-1988 season, Valerie counter sued claiming that since her name was still in the title of the show, meant that she was still apart of the show, which she was not.  Lorimar settled and the show was re-titled The Hogan Family in 1988 where it ran until 1991 :)

Written By: robby76 on 11/08/05 at 7:01 pm

Hogan Family was hilarious from what I remember! The 3 brothers, their pilot Dad and his sister. I loved their next door neighbour too (she also played the annoying neighbour in Small Wonder). Great stuff!

Written By: pell on 11/08/05 at 8:33 pm

I always thought it was funny that the title character can leave a show and it would still continue successfully. Valerie thought she could throw her weight and bully them over the contract, but she found out she wasn't as "all that" as she thought she was.

"Family Ties" was similar in that the show was supposed to be about the parents, but the actors were frustrated that the kids became the stars. Same with "The West Wing". The central character played by Rob Lowe leaves and the show continues on undaunted.

You just can't predict what the fans are going to go for.

Check for new replies or respond here...