inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Atari 130XE

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/08/05 at 10:53 am

Did anyone have this computer back in the 80's?  I have wonderful memories of playing "Pitfall" on it.  Also always used to play "Fight Night" on the Atari1050 floppy drive that was connected to my 130XE, except it was SOOOOO SLOW to load.  I also had what I've come to find out was "Atarilab" after doing some research.  I don't think I had the appropriate equipment with that program, just the program itself, and as a kid always wondered why I couldn't do anything with the program  ;D

Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else out there had this computer and what games you had...  I miss the 80's!!!

Subject: Re: Atari 130XE

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 11:20 am

i didn't. my friend had an atari 800, which i'm guessing is a generation or two before the 130XE, i think it first came out in 1979 but it was popular all through the  early to mid-80s, i seem to remember. what'd he have? centipede and asteroids are all i seem to remember. you had the ROM cartridges or -- i think you were really styling if you could swing a 5.25" floppy drive! he had the cassette drive. you stored data on standard cassette tapes, and if you wanted to load a game into RAM it took like twenty minutes, depending on how big the program was. i think the computer had 8K RAM, 16K, something like that?

i wanted an atari 400 in the w.o.r.s.t. w.a.y. i tried to talk my folks into buying me one but instead they got a practical and boring-as-heck IBM PC for the whole household. it was black and white and didn't have polyvoice sound capability. it was boring!

http://www.rolentapress.com/rolenta/collection/atari/400.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...