inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: An 80s "Total Environment"

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 11/09/05 at 6:45 pm

Hello all!
The reason I haven't been around here much of late, is that I have become very engrossed in the literary works of one evil genious, by the name of Anton La Vey. One of his many ideas was the construction of "total environments", where a person who is weary of the modern world could go for a retreat, or even to live if they so desired. Being the serious "80s head" that I am, and having felt the sentiment of so many who would love to return to the 80s, I propose the construction of an 80s Total Enviroment. Here are some of my ideas:
1.Thoughrough bag-searches will be conducted upon arrival. Mobile phones (of the non brick variety), laptop computers, DVDs, along with any technology, clothing or products that do not belong in the 80s will be kept safe, for collection upon departure.
2. 80s clothes, hair and make-up are compulsory at all times. Any new visitor who does not look the part will be shown to a make-over studio, where they will be transformed.
3.Visitors will stay in theme rooms according to their taste. These will include:
*A Culture Club room, with ruffled curtains, bedding and Boy George rag dolls.
*A Breakfast Club room, reminisent of the video clip for "Right On Track".
Every room will feature a stero, with record player and dual cassette deck, a choice of BETA or VHS VCR and an Atari. In-house 80s movies will be available upon request.
4. The vast complex will include:
*All the fast food joints that we loved to hate in the 80s.
*Authentic 80s night clubs. All the most popular clubs from every corner of the globe will be re-created. Drinks will be at 80s prices (woo hoo!)
*Video stores, where both VHS and BETA tapes can be hired @ $1/night.
*80s fashion boutiques and hair salons, located in a glass-covered mall -you can just "hang out" if you wish!
*80s style video arcades, where games are 20c each.
*A drive-in cinema, screening classic 80s movies, late into the night. The only snacks available will be popcorn, Jaffas, Choc-tops and soft drinks.
*Record stores. CDs will be available, but only in 80s packaging.
*A roller-skating rink -though feel free to wear your roller skates elsewhere!
What about all of you? What would make this "total 80s enviroment" perfect for you? What kind of 80s theme room would you like to sleep in? What night clubs would you like to see "re-opened" as they were in the day? Help me create this beautiful fantasy, just for fun -and who knows, one day when I'm stinking rich, I might even go about building it! I would call it "80s Arcadia"....perhaps. :D

Subject: Re: An 80s "Total Environment"

Written By: Meghan88 on 11/10/05 at 5:21 pm

I am not going to be in anything based off of the ideas of a man who worshipped the devil.

Written By: Tia on 11/10/05 at 5:29 pm

Lol! Yeah, you might wanna use biosphere ii for your example or something, rather thana cultish disciple of charles manson. But I like the idea of an 80s immersive environment. I went to this party once where this guy was all Victorian – his house was Victorian and he had nothing in it that was invented after the Victorian age. To me it all seemed a little extreme – and I guess if it were 80s retro stuff (or 70s! even better!) it would still be extreme.

But, you know, MY kind of extreme.

Written By: Meghan88 on 11/10/05 at 5:34 pm

yeah, I agree.  That whole victorian house thing is pretty freaky...maybe you should've called a head-doctor(psychologist, psychiatrist, whichever works) for that guy....?

Written By: Tia on 11/10/05 at 5:36 pm

yeah, I agree.  That whole victorian house thing is pretty freaky...maybe you should've called a head-doctor(psychologist, psychiatrist, whichever works) for that guy....?

But they didn't have head doctors back then! lol.

Yeah, I was sorta like, whatever floats your boat, man, but it ain't for me.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 11/11/05 at 12:39 am

I am not going to be in anything based off of the ideas of a man who worshipped the devil.

Not quite true, but I am not here for religious debate.

Some more ideas for theme rooms:
*A Care Bears room, for those wanting to revisit their childhood friends.
*A Masters Of The Universe Castle Greyskull room.
*A room just like Robbie Hart's basement bedroom in The Wedding Singer.
*A Rubix room, the walls, floor and ceiling like a giant Rubix cube turned inside out.
*An Aha "Take On Me" room, with line drawings from the video clip on the walls. These would appear to move, when one switches on the strobe lighting.

Perhaps in the future, the creation of such "total enviroments" will be the next best thing to time travel. 8)

Written By: Tia on 11/11/05 at 8:57 am

Some more ideas for theme rooms:
*A Care Bears room, for those wanting to revisit their childhood friends.
*A Masters Of The Universe Castle Greyskull room.
*A room just like Robbie Hart's basement bedroom in The Wedding Singer.
*A Rubix room, the walls, floor and ceiling like a giant Rubix cube turned inside out.
*An Aha "Take On Me" room, with line drawings from the video clip on the walls. These would appear to move, when one switches on the strobe lighting.

Perhaps in the future, the creation of such "total enviroments" will be the next best thing to time travel. 8)

i'm thinking you'd also need one of those workout/flashdancey type fully mirrored workout/dance practice rooms where folks can bust out the sweatbands and legwarmers. and a room with an elevated stage where people can put on their banana pants, grab a flying v and work on their eddie van/randy rhoads/trevor rabin mad two-handed electric guitar licks.

Written By: Meghan88 on 11/11/05 at 4:12 pm

WELL....Excuse me for making a statement. I had no idea I wasn't allowed to.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/05 at 11:03 pm

Anton LaVey meets the Care Bears.  I like it!
:D

Written By: Tia on 11/11/05 at 11:05 pm

Anton LaVey meets the Care Bears.  I like it!

lol!

Check for new replies or respond here...