inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coleco is back

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/10/05 at 9:27 am

While surfing the Web researching vintage 80's video game consoles, I found out that the Coleco brand name has been resurrected. Although their new website is somewhat vague, it says that a new Colecovision console is in the works. I never had an original Colecovision, but I do remember that at the time it was superior to its contemporaries (Atari 2600, Intellivision). Should be quite interesting.

http://coleco.com/

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000110066601/

Subject: Re: Coleco is back

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/05 at 10:52 am

I can hardly wait to see what the new Coleco system will be like.  I remember when Coleco was popular .. it was so much better than the Atari, but much more expensive as many of the games required those super action controller jumbo joysticks with the number dials on them

Written By: Tia on 11/10/05 at 11:15 am

i wanted a colecovision so bad. the donkey kong they had rocked.

you can get em on ebay, the old colecos.

Written By: Skippy on 11/10/05 at 12:48 pm

I am very  intrigued.

Written By: Tia on 11/10/05 at 1:01 pm

I'll check it out, the new one, but I have a feeling it’ll be another xbox thingy. This whole hyperrealistic thing with videogames these days doesn’t do much for me. I’m probably just an old foagy.

Written By: Kenosha on 11/10/05 at 5:29 pm

I really doubt they would go head-to-head with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. I have a fealing it will be along the lines of Atari's console with all the games built in. You can find these for about $30.00 I think. Just a guess though.

Written By: Tia on 11/10/05 at 5:34 pm

I really doubt they would go head-to-head with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. I have a fealing it will be along the lines of Atari's console with all the games built in. You can find these for about $30.00 I think. Just a guess though.

I hope youre right because that would be great, a re-creation of the original unit. I would totally shell out for that. When I bought a refurbished Atari 2600 a couple years ago I was telling my friend, look, dont let me pay more than 200 bucks for this thing, okay? Because I know me, and I know I'll end up giving the guy the keys to my car or something. And we get there and how much are they? 40 bucks.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/10/05 at 9:35 pm

Does that mean Intellivision will be coing back too?

Written By: Tia on 11/10/05 at 11:13 pm

Does that mean Intellivision will be coing back too?

oh no! intellivision was SO BAD! they had that little crappy disk controller! ick!

Written By: Skippy on 11/10/05 at 11:16 pm

I would be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllly happy if Coleco brought back the tabletop arcade.  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/10/05 at 11:17 pm

oh no! intellivision was SO BAD! they had that little crappy disk controller! ick!

I take it that you hated it?  ;D

Written By: Tia on 11/10/05 at 11:31 pm

I take it that you hated it?  ;D

i'm being unfair. i only played it once, and the football game seemed cool. but i'm all about colecovision, you have to understand...  :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/11/05 at 1:07 am

was Intellivision the ones with the really flat controllers that had a disc that worked like a controller?  You had to stick a stick in the centre to turn it into a joystick?

Written By: Tia on 11/11/05 at 8:01 am

was Intellivision the ones with the really flat controllers that had a disc that worked like a controller?  You had to stick a stick in the centre to turn it into a joystick?

that's the one. it was a little metallic disc that you slid your finger over to control it.

Check for new replies or respond here...