inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Sleepaway Camp'

Written By: Carl on 11/11/05 at 7:42 am

Came out in '83 I believe. My brother rented the video once, we watched it, and I didn't really think too much of the film. I viewed it as another Friday the 13th wanna be slasher film, so many horror flicks jumped on the bandwagon of F13's success, trying to emulate it and all. When it was over, I was like 'You spent three bucks on this!!!'

But to my suprise, this flick has a bit of a cult following. I did a search on Yahoo! and they have a website dedicated to it, and they even had a"Sleepaway Camp' cast reunion! Never knew it was a big a hit with many.

Subject: Re: 'Sleepaway Camp'

Written By: star500 on 11/11/05 at 12:32 pm

Yeah...it was okay...not my favorite camp horror movie though...I much preferred the first Friday the 13th movie. But I have to admit, the first Sleepaway camp movie was pratically award winning compared to the 2nd one! The 2nd movie was the worst I have ever seen....mainly because all they did was have SEX! :o I know some people here might like movies with excessive sex but I am not one of them.

Written By: Tia on 11/11/05 at 12:41 pm

not sure i saw that one. saw "cheerleader camp," which was rather awful.

i'm tellin' ya, for fun horror you gotta check out the early 70s satan-worshipper movies! they're loads of fun. "ride with the devil" with peter fonda, definitely the pick of the litter. but "asylum of satan" gets honorable mention for just being laugh-out-loud WEIRD and BAD.

http://cdn.nflximg.com/us/boxshots/large/60024468.jpg

as far as the slasher series, i'm hearing good things about "april fools day." never, ever, under any circumstances see "blood sisters" or "pieces." learn from my mistakes.

funny about the "cult following" -- with dvd and the internet and such, EVERYTHING now has a cult following and a home page. even if the cult following is, like, six people, they still manage to find each other.

Written By: Carl on 11/11/05 at 1:07 pm

I couldn't make heads or tales of the first Sleepaway Camp movie, especially the ending!

Written By: Class of 84 on 11/11/05 at 2:51 pm

I remember seing this at the theatre when it was out, and I can say that this movie was my absolutely worse film of the 80's. :P

Written By: Tia on 11/11/05 at 2:55 pm

I remember seing this at the theatre when it was out, and I can say that this movie was my absolutely worse film of the 80's. :P

wow. just bad is one thing, but the worst movie of the entire decade!? now I'm curious.

Written By: Class of 84 on 11/11/05 at 2:59 pm

wow. just bad is one thing, but the worst movie of the entire decade!? now I'm curious.

To me, it was just such a mindless, silly movie where all the characters were morons, and the ending where the "girl" turned out to be a "boy", and how it was presented, was just laughable.  After seeing it, both my date and I agreed it ws one of the biggest stinkers we had ever seen.

Written By: Carl on 11/11/05 at 3:25 pm

And when one says that, the more people want to see it.

Oh and by the by, according to the 'Official' website..SIGH! Get ready, there is going to be a 'Return to Sleepaway Camp' in '06! Apparently,that same actress who was in the orginal (who turned out to be a guy) is in this!

Written By: Class of 84 on 11/11/05 at 3:32 pm

And when one says that, the more people want to see it.

Oh and by the by, according to the 'Official' website..SIGH! Get ready, there is going to be a 'Return to Sleepaway Camp' in '06! Apparently,that same actress who was in the orginal (who turned out to be a guy) is in this!

Sounds great! Now I will have my worst movie of the 00's decade. 8)

Written By: Carl on 11/11/05 at 3:39 pm

yeah, and we haven't had many good ones thus far anyway, so this just adds to the mix.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 11/12/05 at 9:42 pm

I vaguely remember this film. I rented it on video back in 85-86. The best horror film in concern to camps is The Burning. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/13/05 at 5:55 pm

Seen part 2 and 3, now I wish I hadn't...  ::)

Written By: Carl on 11/14/05 at 6:55 am

The best horror film in concern to camps is The Burning. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it!

I've seen it, it was okay, better than Sleepaway Camp, I'll give it that. But again,another film where they are riding on the coattails of F13 with the whole camp setting and all.

Written By: Kenosha on 11/14/05 at 11:37 am

My daughter loves these movies. I bought her the Sleepaway Camp box set. I personally think they are terrible but I love to watch 80's slasher movies.

Written By: Tia on 11/14/05 at 11:41 am

My daughter loves these movies. I bought her the Sleepaway Camp box set. I personally think they are terrible but I love to watch 80's slasher movies.

for my money nightmare on elm street and halloween are still the best. friday the 13th part 2 i rather like, also. what i've seen of the rest of the slashers sorta seem to be mostly rehashes.

Written By: Carl on 11/14/05 at 3:29 pm

80s slasher movies are so cheesy, the ARE fun to watch, true. My brother used to subscribe to 'Fangoria', loved reading that!  :D

Written By: RDee on 11/14/05 at 10:53 pm

Wasn't (Bruce) Springsteen's sister in that movie?...
Oh wait, that was Sleepaway Camp #2 and #3.
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0819805/

Subject: 'Sleepaway Camp'

Written By: Dude111 on 02/20/18 at 5:49 am

....But to my suprise, this flick has a bit of a cult following. I did a search on Yahoo! and they have a website dedicated to it, and they even had a"Sleepaway Camp' cast reunion! Never knew it was a big a hit with many.

Yes its my favourite of all the SLEEPAWAY CAMP movies,the others didnt even come close!!

Quite a surprise ending!! (Im looking of the tape I have of it now)

I have seen part 2 and some of 3 and they didnt interest me @ all...... Not the same girl,etc........... (Plus stuff got worse thru the 80s anyway)

Check for new replies or respond here...