inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird 80's question

Written By: Matt on 11/11/05 at 1:30 pm

Ok, this is weird, but I do have reason to ask this.....

If you went back in time, and were running down the street en route to meet yourself back in 1988, what song would you want playing?

Weird I know, but as I said, I have reason.

Matt

Subject: Re: Weird 80's question

Written By: Tia on 11/11/05 at 1:33 pm

would it have to be a 1988 song? Or any song? Or any song before 1988?

Written By: Mushroom on 11/11/05 at 1:49 pm

If you went back in time, and were running down the street en route to meet yourself back in 1988, what song would you want playing?

Hmmm, 1988.  I would have been walking down a street in Okinawa Japan.

Since we only had 1 English radio station, it would have been a real mixed bag.  AFRTS-Far East was basically a "Top 40" station, with "Special Interest" shows on Sunday.  I still remember sitting in the barracks on Sunday nights, listening to (in order) Dr. Demento, King Biscut Flour Hour, and the BB King Blues Hour.  Talk about awesome radio!

That was the time I was really into George Harrison.  More then likely I would have been listening to something from his "Cloud 9" tape (When We Were Fab, I've Got My Mind Set On You, Wreck Of The Hesperus), or my John Lennon tape.

If I was listening to the radio, it would be anything from LL Cool J (Going Back To Cali), Terrence Trent Darby (Wishing Well), Tiffany (I Saw Him Standing There, Could;ve Been), Escape Club (Wild Wild West), Paul SImon (Call Me Al), Beach Boys (Kokomo),  Miami Sound Machine (1-2-3), Buster Poindexter (Hot Hot Hot), or George Michael (Father Figure, Faith).

Those are the songs I remember most from that year, but I could have been listening to almost anything.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/11/05 at 2:05 pm

1988? If it was 1983 I would tell myself "Don't marry the bum!"

Cat

Written By: alyceclover on 11/11/05 at 2:38 pm

...it would have to be a musical mix...first line of song that came to mind was: "beware there's danger there" (A Fork In The Road), showing my state of mind, would want to warn my 1988 self to be careful about choices I'd making in the years to come....if I were running down the street, I'd probably see my 1988 self dancing down the street to a tune like "It Takes Two" (DJ Jazz E Jeff...)  doing her fake imitation hip-hop...if I had a current radio station playing, perhaps PATIENCE by Guns & Roses should be the tune...to remind both selves about slowing down....this is a very interesting question

Written By: Class of 84 on 11/11/05 at 2:53 pm

Something by Poison. Probably "I won't forget you", if that was a 1988 song :-\\

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 11/11/05 at 3:16 pm

1988, the year I started high school.......HELL!  >:(
"Don't Wake Me", by the Uncanny X-Men is my pre-teenage angst song. It came out in '86, but would still be appropriate:

Well, you really had me going when you messed up my life!
You hurt me more then, baby, than you could with a knife.
So, I say damn all these people!
Get 'em right out of here!

Or perhaps Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It!"

I really hated highschool, BTW. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 11/11/05 at 6:32 pm

For me, it'd have to be 'Age of Reason' by John Farnham.  Circa 1988, it was quite popular, and one which I rather enjoyed and still do :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/05 at 10:44 pm

The Smiths: You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby
:(

Written By: Tia on 11/12/05 at 8:51 am

The Smiths: You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby
:(

oo! good answer! i need some options, i can't even remember what was out then. i think in those days i was listening to lots of 60s and 70s stuff. and edie brickell over and over again.

so i'd have to go with edie's "air of december." such a great song....

Written By: nycmystery on 11/12/05 at 10:30 am

walk of life,,,by dire straits

Written By: pretendingtoswim on 11/12/05 at 10:32 am

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For  ~  U2

Written By: jlp937 on 11/13/05 at 10:32 pm

Tears for Fears---"Everybody Wants to Rule theWorld"

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/13/05 at 11:29 pm

I can remember 1988 really well...and I know a few songs that I listened to all the time that year were:

Angel-Aerosmith
Father Figure-George Michael
Waiting for a Star to Fall-Boy Meets Girl
One of These Nights-The Eagles
Hands to Heaven-Breathe
Someday-Glass Tiger

Now...I don't know which year they were released...I just know  I was listening to them in 1988.

Written By: TC1970 on 11/14/05 at 11:19 am

Still Of The Night- Whitesnake  1988 was a big year for me an my friends.  ;) Got to have that song playing.

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/15/05 at 12:19 pm

Our Lips Are Sealed - The Go Gos - I have my reasons!  What a thought provoking question! ::)

Written By: Tia on 11/15/05 at 8:57 pm

Our Lips Are Sealed - The Go Gos - I have my reasons!

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/16/05 at 7:38 am

It's strange but I don't seem to remember 88 as vividly as the year before it & the years even before that. These are the songs i do remember being on the radio & TV from that year though.
Stutter Rap - Morris Minor
Black Velvet - Alana Miles
Heaven Is A Place On Earth - Belinda Carlisle
Bad Medicine - Bon Jovi
Faith - George Micheal
Sign Your Name Across My Heart - Terence Trent Darby

There might be more stored up here but my memory doesn't seem to be serving me well at the moment so that's all i remember at the moment. Plus these weren't the songs i was listening at the time. Never was big on pop music so i think i tend to ignore most of what's going on in the world of Top 40.

Check for new replies or respond here...