inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NBC special: SNL in the 80s

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/15/05 at 5:26 pm

Did anyone see this NBC special the other day?  It was about Saturday Night Live in the 80s.  I thought it was excellent.

If any of you younger guys want to get a perfect feel for the 80s, then find a copy of this special and watch it.  If you watch 80s SNL shows, it captures the 80s very well.  I suppose that's because it's a real comedy sketch show based in the real world with an interactive studio audience, opposed to a sitcom or other type of fictional TV series.  Seeing Madonna from 1986 blew me away.  So did Anthony Michael Hall.  It was a flood of memories coming back.  It was so real.

Subject: Re: NBC special: SNL in the 80s

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/15/05 at 5:35 pm

Yeah, I liked what I saw too. I missed part of it, but happily watched the (maybe) latter two thirds.

I didn't realize how close it was to cancellation after the "trademark" first cast (Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Bill Murray, etc) left around 1980. It was cool to see, not only the intro of newer stars like Eddie Murphy and many others, but all the flashbacks had a real "80's" feel to them. That's one very reason I like things like Behind the Music and A & E Biographies too.

Toward the end of the decade, it entered what many think is its second golden phase - Adam Sandler, Phil Hartman, Chris Farley, etc.

I admit I like all three eras. The last one would be the most from "my time", but I fondly recall seeing alot of the older episodes in reruns, or at least the stars of the show in movies I liked. My dad and I even taped our own copy of a Best of SNL Goes Commercial around 1992 and I still love that. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/15/05 at 6:30 pm

I saw it too...

My favorite sketch....

Master Thespian!  ;D

http://photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20051113/22/7/1/0/71070f48dba2388e6fc2892041722e33200511130_full.jpg

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/15/05 at 8:15 pm

It was good!!! I enjoyed it.

Check for new replies or respond here...