inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Malls dying?

Written By: Yo! on 11/21/05 at 12:36 am

Back in the 80s malls were considered the bizz, today it's like ehhhh.... it's just the mall.

Are they actually less visited now than in the eighties (or even than in the nineties)?

Subject: Re: Are Malls dying?

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/21/05 at 11:31 am

Back in the 80s malls were considered the bizz, today it's like ehhhh.... it's just the mall.

Are they actually less visited now than in the eighties (or even than in the nineties)?

No, but it's definitly changed, lots of healthy places to eat & over here in Australia we have Boost Juice Bars where they squeeze the juice from fresh fruit in front of you. Also lots of new poofy boutique stores with poofy names that sell really poofy clothing that looks like it came from a catwalk in Paris or Milan. Overall though it's still a big hangout place for teens & probably more so now than in the 80s. When i go to buy something i still see lots of teens just hangin around. Also my Shopping Mall was bought out by Westfield & expanded into a enormous shopping mall, one of the biggest in the state. Westfield has shopping malls all over the country now, i think every shopping mall in Australia is owned by Westfield & there's one in just about every suburb, so it's definitly still big business, at least it is in Australia.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/21/05 at 12:29 pm

I don't think it's changed.

"like, ohmygod, let's go hang out at the mall!!"

That was the deal in 1985, and I don't see much difference in 2005.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/21/05 at 1:53 pm

I've noticed that the more upscale, outdoor-style malls are becoming more and more popular. I've seen quite a few of the outdoor malls spring up over the past several years, but not one enclosed mall has been built in my area of the country.

Written By: Carl on 11/21/05 at 3:21 pm

1985- yes, back when 'Oh my god' was one word!

:D LMAO!

Written By: Loven1 on 11/21/05 at 6:15 pm

I'd have to say yes here in North Carolina.

All of our malls look run down and have closed stores left and right. (Thanks to Wal Mart)

Kids don't hang around them as much either.

Written By: gameguy1957 on 11/21/05 at 7:20 pm

We used to have two malls here in town and both had their own unique flavor. They also both had food courts, arcades, movie theaters, etc. Now one is just a collection of big box stores like Best Buy and Sam's club. The other has several closed shops in it. It also no longer has a food court. The arcade has a handfull of video games and the remaining space is filled with the kiddie games that dispense tickes.

Something else I've noticed is that malls in different cites used to have different types of shops. Now, they all have the same brand name stores. I used to look forward to going to malls in other cities just to see the shops they had in them. Last time I went the the Riverwalk in New Orleans, it had the same thing as Underground Atlanta, which have the same shops as the surviving mall here in town.

-JM

Written By: GREEN67 on 11/22/05 at 8:49 am

I've noticed that the more upscale, outdoor-style malls are becoming more and more popular. I've seen quite a few of the outdoor malls spring up over the past several years, but not one enclosed mall has been built in my area of the country.
  You are sooo right...where I live the mall I used to Hang at has been torn down..actually 2 of them..now...3 miles from here there is a NEW outdoor mall ...totally upscale and WWAAYYY outta my league...cant even afford to LOOK at it...lol...so sad tho...I really miss the REAL malls...especially the Arcades :\'(

Written By: Dude111 on 02/20/18 at 5:51 am

The malls near me are indeed dying.... They are being replaced with crappy strip malls and its sad :(

I remember going in the 80s..... Playing arcade games,etc.........

Written By: Howard on 02/20/18 at 7:34 am

I don't think their dying, maybe it's the fact that not many people are going to them, instead they shop online.

Written By: 2001 on 02/20/18 at 10:32 am

Thank you for bumping this post. It's funny how "last time people went to the mall" keeps getting pushed back. People in 2005 thought the mall was dead and the '80s was the last time it was any good, but now people think the mall in 2005 was bustling and it was truly dead by 2010 or whatever :D

I guess it's like "last time kids played outside" in how it coincides with when the poster was the prime age for that stuff :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/18 at 10:59 am

This seems to be a familiar subject for discussion, we have said this all before. The answer is no!

Written By: Howard on 02/20/18 at 1:12 pm

This seems to be a familiar subject for discussion, we have said this all before. The answer is no!

people are still going to the mall but maybe a different demographic like basically the millennials are shopping but as for the much older folks, maybe they'd rather shop online than to have be around people all day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/18 at 2:24 pm

people are still going to the mall but maybe a different demographic like basically the millennials are shopping but as for the much older folks, maybe they'd rather shop online than to have be around people all day.
I will probably be visiting my local mall tomorrow.

Written By: Dude111 on 02/21/18 at 5:32 am

But will ya find anything good @ it??

Probably not....... Its sad :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 6:43 am

But will ya find anything good @ it??

Probably not....... Its sad :(
Oh yes I will!

Written By: Howard on 02/21/18 at 2:33 pm

I will probably be visiting my local mall tomorrow.

Enjoy! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 2:41 pm

Enjoy! :)
If not, at the weekend.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 3:56 pm

I've already been to the mall.

And it SUCKED.

I've already been to heaven.

After 5 minutes I was like "let's GO".

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 4:04 pm

I would have to strongly disagree with anyone who says teenagers today don't go to the mall anymore, and this is coming from someone who is currently a sophomore in high school. I know my friends still ask me to go to the mall and we hang out there. At my local mall, I see people from school hanging out with their group of friends. It's definitely not uncommon, in fact, it's very common.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 4:35 pm

I would have to strongly disagree with anyone who says teenagers today don't go to the mall anymore, and this is coming from someone who is currently a sophomore in high school. I know my friends still ask me to go to the mall and we hang out there. At my local mall, I see people from school hanging out with their group of friends. It's definitely not uncommon, in fact, it's very common.
My local mall is a meeting place for teenagers when off school, especially during holidays.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/18 at 5:25 am

My local mall is a meeting place for teenagers when off school, especially during holidays.

Are the malls better or worse? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/18 at 5:28 am

Are the malls better or worse? ???
I would say the same as the malls have always been.

Check for new replies or respond here...