inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Peter Schilling

Written By: Schillingfan on 11/22/05 at 6:58 pm

Anybody here like the German singer Peter Schilling?

I'm a big fan of the guy and I have Error In The System and his 1st German album Fehler Im System on vinyl as well has having The Different Story CD!

I have pictures of him on my Photobucket.com/ album

Here's the link:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b359/AbsolutelyFabulousFan/

note: ignore pages 8 & 9 because there's no pictures of Mr.Schilling in them (if you do want to go to those pages then you can)

Subject: Re: Peter Schilling

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/05 at 7:00 pm

I like Peter Schilling.  What some folks might not know is that Major Tom (Coming Home) wasn't his only hit.  In 1989, he reached #61 on Billboard with the song The Different Story (World Of Lust And Crime) :)

Written By: Schillingfan on 11/22/05 at 7:15 pm

I love the Different Story!

His song "Chill Of The Night" also got radio play despite not being a hit! I love that one too!

Note to repliers: ignore the photobucket link and contact me at somewhatlikesaffy@yahoo.ca about the photobucket album.

Yes, I have at least 100 or 200 something songs of his that I downloaded!

I'm still trying to download his version of the Elvis song "wooden heart" from 1985!

Written By: Schillingfan on 11/25/05 at 6:20 pm

Even though I like most of all of his songs, "Only Dreams" and "I Have No Desire" wern't really songs that came out that good in English, I liked the German versions though! ( :))

Written By: Schillinglover on 12/08/05 at 8:48 pm

Peter Schilling is great!

Written By: Schillingfan on 12/11/05 at 2:20 am

I learned some German from listening to his music!

Written By: Kryllith on 12/12/05 at 11:06 am

I'm a big fan of The Different Story (the album)... even wrote an essay about it.

Kryllith

Written By: Schillingfan on 12/12/05 at 9:49 pm

I'm a big fan of The Different Story (the album)... even wrote an essay about it.

Kryllith

WOW!  :)

Written By: Kryllith on 12/13/05 at 10:43 am

Yeah, it stemed from a discussion my ex-wife and I had while driving home from New Orleans. Had been looking for the cd for some time and finally found it. Back then the only songs I knew were "A Different Story" and "Major Tom". We were trying to figure out all the lyrics and then noticed that all the songs connected to tell a story. Need to set it to anime or something sometime... :)

Kryllith

Written By: Schillingfan on 12/13/05 at 8:35 pm

Yeah, it stemed from a discussion my ex-wife and I had while driving home from New Orleans. Had been looking for the cd for some time and finally found it. Back then the only songs I knew were "A Different Story" and "Major Tom". We were trying to figure out all the lyrics and then noticed that all the songs connected to tell a story. Need to set it to anime or something sometime... :)

Kryllith

My mom and I did something similar by reading the lyrics and trying to figure out their meanings. (Let's play) USA was easy to figure out, but I think one of the songs was kinda hard to figure out. The Different Story came with a music video that didn't quite make any sense, like the two old ladies, riding the horse, the old man, the house and the young woman. It left me wondering, "how does this connect to the song?" and "do they each represent something?" :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/05 at 2:31 am

I don't really know much about Peter Schilling.  I loved his synth-pop hit Major Tom (Coming Home), and still listen to it sometimes.  It's a great segue coming after the Human League song Boys and Girls.

Written By: Kryllith on 12/14/05 at 8:22 am

My mom and I did something similar by reading the lyrics and trying to figure out their meanings. (Let's play) USA was easy to figure out, but I think one of the songs was kinda hard to figure out. The Different Story came with a music video that didn't quite make any sense, like the two old ladies, riding the horse, the old man, the house and the young woman. It left me wondering, "how does this connect to the song?" and "do they each represent something?" :)

I've not seen the video to it, but I will admit that "The Different Story" was one of the trickier songs lyrically. The meaning I got behind it didn't really change much regardless of what lyrics were placed there, but nailing down the actual lyrics is a pain (still not even exactly sure)...

We basically settled for

See the wise man in the graveyard
Scream and cry the different story (or "Screaming play the different story")
Lonely people living so hard (I've see "in his old park", "in his soul heart", and probably another variation)
Know the answer just for everything...

Regardless of the actual version of the lyrics, we simply interpretted it as a ghost telling the living not to give into sin (Lust and Crime) and to live for love because it knows something the living don't know about death and whatever it knows isn't good (we basically viewed the ghost as a Marleyesque figure ala A Christmas Carol). I interested in whether or not you got the same impression we did. Here's a general rundown of our interpretation.

In the album overall we saw "The Different Story" as a warning of what could happen if people ignored the old man's warning. Major Tom was foreshadowing of mechanical failure (putting too much faith in technology) and perhaps redemption ("Now the light commands, I'm coming home.) "The Noah Plan" was the breakdown of society due to putting too much faith in technology and an inability to settle world problems. We saw "Berlin" as reflection of the past by both the people who escaped in "The Noah Plan" and those left back on earth, a song of regret for human action. "The Lone Survivor" was viewed as a small side story focusing on the exploits of one man who didn't go along with either those that left the earth or those that stayed behind; if it were viewed in movie format, this would be a segment where the film pulls away from the main action to view the actions of the common people... alternately, the Long Survivor might have been one of the people in high command who simply cracked and took the only option he felt was left to him. Course, the end of Lone Survivor foreshadows "Terra Titantic" and especially "Zone 804". "Terra Titantic" were the people left on earth; people who couldn't afford to leave or simply would not leave their home. The cool link in here is to "The Noah Plan" with the line "The rats had the sense to abandon the ship", the rats being the people/governments that fled in "The Noah Plan". Of course, we also have the SOS signal played in the middle that sets the lead in for the next song. "Zone 804" is the answer to the SOS, where the benevolent alien race comes to save the people left on earth. True to the earlier idealogy, the people nearly attempt to destroy the aliens, showing that perhaps they haven't learned all that much. Thankfully, they hold off their attack and manage to interpret the message of friendship the aliens are desparately trying to convey. "The Hurricane" is the alien's technology at work, the alteration of the planet on a global level to wipe away the evil, much like the story of Noah's Ark. The people are left to start over again. We interpretted "Let's Play USA" in two different ways. My ex-wife saw it as the people recovering well, letting go of the problems that were before, and mocking the previous governments and icons that brought about their downfall as they thrive in their new utopia. I took the pessimistic view that the song indicates that the people really haven't learned anything; things might have started off well, but people fall back into the old patterns. We end up with the recovered people holding ideals like "shoot the one who's point of view, makes a point that bothers you, "Common Sense" "sitting on the fence" and "one nation under Disneyland." Basically I view the song as a statement of the failability of mankind, that while the generation that endured all the problems may have learned, years later they become the ghost in "The Different Story", crying out for people not to make the same mistakes they did.

Kryllith

Written By: Schillingfan on 12/15/05 at 12:46 pm

I've not seen the video to it, but I will admit that "The Different Story" was one of the trickier songs lyrically. The meaning I got behind it didn't really change much regardless of what lyrics were placed there, but nailing down the actual lyrics is a pain (still not even exactly sure)...

We basically settled for

See the wise man in the graveyard
Scream and cry the different story (or "Screaming play the different story")
Lonely people living so hard (I've see "in his old park", "in his soul heart", and probably another variation)
Know the answer just for everything...

Regardless of the actual version of the lyrics, we simply interpretted it as a ghost telling the living not to give into sin (Lust and Crime) and to live for love because it knows something the living don't know about death and whatever it knows isn't good (we basically viewed the ghost as a Marleyesque figure ala A Christmas Carol). I interested in whether or not you got the same impression we did. Here's a general rundown of our interpretation.

In the album overall we saw "The Different Story" as a warning of what could happen if people ignored the old man's warning. Major Tom was foreshadowing of mechanical failure (putting too much faith in technology) and perhaps redemption ("Now the light commands, I'm coming home.) "The Noah Plan" was the breakdown of society due to putting too much faith in technology and an inability to settle world problems. We saw "Berlin" as reflection of the past by both the people who escaped in "The Noah Plan" and those left back on earth, a song of regret for human action. "The Lone Survivor" was viewed as a small side story focusing on the exploits of one man who didn't go along with either those that left the earth or those that stayed behind; if it were viewed in movie format, this would be a segment where the film pulls away from the main action to view the actions of the common people... alternately, the Long Survivor might have been one of the people in high command who simply cracked and took the only option he felt was left to him. Course, the end of Lone Survivor foreshadows "Terra Titantic" and especially "Zone 804". "Terra Titantic" were the people left on earth; people who couldn't afford to leave or simply would not leave their home. The cool link in here is to "The Noah Plan" with the line "The rats had the sense to abandon the ship", the rats being the people/governments that fled in "The Noah Plan". Of course, we also have the SOS signal played in the middle that sets the lead in for the next song. "Zone 804" is the answer to the SOS, where the benevolent alien race comes to save the people left on earth. True to the earlier idealogy, the people nearly attempt to destroy the aliens, showing that perhaps they haven't learned all that much. Thankfully, they hold off their attack and manage to interpret the message of friendship the aliens are desparately trying to convey. "The Hurricane" is the alien's technology at work, the alteration of the planet on a global level to wipe away the evil, much like the story of Noah's Ark. The people are left to start over again. We interpretted "Let's Play USA" in two different ways. My ex-wife saw it as the people recovering well, letting go of the problems that were before, and mocking the previous governments and icons that brought about their downfall as they thrive in their new utopia. I took the pessimistic view that the song indicates that the people really haven't learned anything; things might have started off well, but people fall back into the old patterns. We end up with the recovered people holding ideals like "shoot the one who's point of view, makes a point that bothers you, "Common Sense" "sitting on the fence" and "one nation under Disneyland." Basically I view the song as a statement of the failability of mankind, that while the generation that endured all the problems may have learned, years later they become the ghost in "The Different Story", crying out for people not to make the same mistakes they did.

Kryllith

The mankind thing I had in mind, both me and my mom, I also took it as Peter Schilling telling us what values have become and how the gov't and how people have become.  :)

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 12/16/05 at 7:22 am

I'm a fan of Peter Schilling as well.  I also like his friends Sandra, Hubert Kemmler, and Micheal Cretu. 

Written By: Schillingfan on 12/16/05 at 8:29 pm

I just found out two things about him:

1. He's afraid of Airplanes and Elevators (found in a German 1983 article after I had typed in a small piece of German text on a translation website)

2. He has a daughter out of wedlock who was 18 (or 18 1/2) when they met in August 2001. My guess is that she was born around 1982-1983. This actually didn't suprise me because I thought that he probably had a child (or two), but the media probably didn't know about him having any children due to the fact that he doesn't talk about his private life. I also have a guess is that maybe he was in her life as a baby to maybe early toddler years.The article that I read this in said that she didn't know who her father was for 18 years, but that could work in two different ways:

a) he maybe didn't know about her
b) he could have been in her life, but maybe up until an early age where she isn't going to remember who her dad is when she's older.

Check for new replies or respond here...