inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone here remember the Apple II 'family' of computers?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/27/05 at 5:55 pm

I used both the Apple II Plus and the last of the Apple II family..the Apple II GS. I did a little programming in BASIC on the II Plus...but the II GS was way better. I loved the Print Shop software's IIGS version. It had the graphic editor where you could draw your own graphic to use on a greeting card, sign, or banner. And the IIGS had the Gauntlet game.

Here's a link to pictures of all the Apple II's....http://apple2history.org/museum/computers/computers.htm If you used any of 'em or even got to own one..post here.

Subject: Re: Anyone here remember the Apple II 'family' of computers?

Written By: Tia on 11/27/05 at 6:05 pm

i had friends who had apple IIs and apple II+es. they were usually the smarter computertype people. us regular buttrockin' folks just had atari VCSes or atari 800s.

they actually have this smithsonian museum here in DC where there's an apple II under glass. THAT'll make you feel old!

Written By: Skippy on 11/27/05 at 6:25 pm

Some special edition Apple PC's were signed by the one and only Steve Wozniak. Strangely, they were signed on the inside of the case. I see one turn up for sale now and then.
If I'd had my druthers back in the 80's, I probably would've went with apple.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/27/05 at 7:18 pm

Some special edition Apple PC's were signed by the one and only Steve Wozniak. Strangely, they were signed on the inside of the case. I see one turn up for sale now and then.
If I'd had my druthers back in the 80's, I probably would've went with apple.
I've seen "Woz" edition Apple IIGS'es with his signature on the front of the CPU!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/27/05 at 7:25 pm

The Apple IIGS was the first computer I really used on a regular basis, it's what started my interest in computers and technology in general. I used the IIGS at my volunteer job at a mental-health day treatment program. My interest in PC's also helped me overcome shyness and given me a tool for self-expression as well as a fascinating hobby.

Written By: rich1981 on 11/27/05 at 10:32 pm

I've experienced the IIGS and IIE in my elementary school, but haven't had a comp of my own until 1996, the Macintosh Performa.

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 10:34 pm

I remember those "Macintosh Plus" computers that were quite small and rectangular in size.  I never liked Apple.  One mouse button and the fact that you have to drag the icon to the trash basket to eject your disk/CD is just dumb

Written By: Tia on 11/27/05 at 10:36 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: jaymanchu on 11/28/05 at 9:34 am

My first computer I ever used was an Apple II, back then we just used it to play the Oregon Trail during Library at my school.  Next I would use a Mac Classic, then performa etc. Years later (and just a couple of years ago) I was a Mac Technician at a local school and they Still had Apple IIs among other ancient Macs and apple computers.  I got to keep one Apple II and all the software and low and behold, they had Oregon Trail!!!  So I kept it until the nostalgia wore off then I sold it.  I kind of wish I hadn't but it was just taking up space.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/28/05 at 5:45 pm

One of the things I did not like about the Apple IIGS is that you had to put the system disk in a disk drive rather than using a hard drive like modern PCs do with whatever system you have installed nowadays starting up 'instant-on'..unless you shelled out the extra bucks to install an Apple hard drive or an Applied Engineering Vulcan hard drive...

The computer stuff most of us take for granted nowadays....it was not always as easy as now. Especially upgrading software and firmware which can be done using the Internet....

Written By: ralfy on 04/17/16 at 12:00 pm

"A Look Back At 40 Years of Apple"

http://fortune.com/2016/04/01/a-look-back-at-40-years-of-apple/

Check for new replies or respond here...