inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lime

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/05 at 1:04 pm

Does anyone remember Lime?

They were a popular Hi-NRG duo that came out of Montreal, Quebec who had several national and international dance hits in the early-mid 80's.

Subject: Re: Lime

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/30/05 at 1:43 pm

I love Lime's dance-hall dervish Babe, We're Gonna Love Tonight, one of my fave Hi-NRG songs! And they did have some of the most beautiful album covers of all time! :)

Written By: ktelqueen on 12/01/05 at 1:30 am

somehow i missed Lime back in the day,J.. but thanks to you now i'm good  8) ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/26/11 at 10:18 pm

Underrated.  Lime's On the Grid (from 1983/4ish) was one of the foundations of techno, and they managed to completely fade into obscurity.

LSRxQzsM5Vg

Francis and Francine ("Yo Francis and Francine / are so busy studyin' all day long / they're back in school where they belong / and that's why I'm singin' this song") might have been the prototypical nerdcore track, a decade or so before "nerdcore" was coined.  The backbeat could be aired today and wouldn't sound out of place.

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/11 at 11:03 pm

Lime were the husband/wife duo of Denis and Denyse LePage, but as voice only.  Two singers named Joy Dorris and Chris Marsh were picked to appear as the group for performances and in the videos.

Prior to Lime, Dennis appeared under a group called Kat Mandu and had a BIG disco hit in 1979 called 'The Break' and in 1981, he and Denyse co-wrote the song 'Dancin' the Night Away' for the Montreal based duo Voggue, which became a Top 40 hit in the UK.  The former reached #3 on the US dance chart, and the latter went to #1 on the US dance chart.  Neither song, nor any song by Lime made the US Hot 100 or Canadian 100 chart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNQYDXjXc6I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxKpswY_Kdg

All of these groups were under the Matra Records label, which was the label also responsible for many dance singles by Canadian artists in the early 80s, and what was cool was a number of artists/songs under that label did very well in the Netherlands, more than anywhere else.  If my sources are correct (Henk, where are you?), all these Matra releases by Canadian artists reached the Dutch Top 40 ...

1981 | Carol Jiani - Hit N Run Lover
1981 | Voggue - Dancin' the Night Away
1981 | Lime - Your Love
1982 | Lime - Babe We're Gonna Love Tonight
1982 | Goldie Alexander - Show You My Love
1983 | Trans X - Living on Video

Another one also could be the 1979 hit 'Get Up and Boogie' by Freddie James, which would probably still have been on the radio in 1980, but that was not on Matra, but Unidisc, which was the parent label of Matra.

The Dutch love our 80s dance music 8)

Written By: Howard on 06/27/11 at 6:29 am

I remember Lime,my favorite "Babe,We're Gonna Love Tonight" and Angel Eyes.

Check for new replies or respond here...