inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coleco

Written By: banshee on 11/30/05 at 7:34 pm

Anybody here remember a video game console called Coleco? The one I had like 2 or 3 built in games selected by flipping a switch I think. I've done searches on the net, but what I found was not what I remembered, so maybe it wasn't a Coleco. Anybody have any idea as to what I had? The only game I remember working was a Pong type game. The controllers were built into the console and were nothing but little sticks with a knob on the top. It wasn't very big, maybe 14" long by 3" thick by 8" wide. Help me! Its been bugging me for years.

Subject: Re: Coleco

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/05 at 7:38 pm

That sounds like the Coleco Telstar :)

http://www.pong-story.com/pics/coleco/telstar.jpg

Written By: banshee on 12/02/05 at 8:38 pm

Sweet!! Thats it. Well almost. It was actually the Alpha model. But without your help I wouldn't have been able to refine my search to find the actual model. This has been bugging me for way to many years. Much obliged.    :D

[quote author=whis

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 8:53 pm

I don't remember the Coleco Telstar, but I do remember Coleco's ADAM game/computer system...I don't think it sold too well.

Written By: neebs25 on 12/02/05 at 8:55 pm

I had a Coleco Vision...and this is crazy because just this afternoon I was on Ebay lookin at them.  I used to LOVE the Smuf game...ooh, how times have changed from my simple begining ! :D ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/02/05 at 10:34 pm

I had a Coleco Vision...and this is crazy because just this afternoon I was on Ebay lookin at them.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/03/05 at 11:20 pm

I had a Coleco Vision...and this is crazy because just this afternoon I was on Ebay lookin at them.

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/05 at 11:23 pm

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle.  I still have that one for my Atari 7800.  I was never able to finish it through the 4th time, which I assume was the last level, because those birds and snakes moved like lightning fast  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 12/03/05 at 11:41 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/05 at 11:47 pm

I had an E.T. game too... I can't remember if it was for Atari or Coleco though.

That one was Atari  :)

E.T. was actually one of 2 Atari games (the other was the 2600 version of Pac-Man) that was mainly responsible for the Video Game Crash of 1983.  They cost like around $40 bucks each, and you could only get like 5 minutes of anjoyment out of them before you got bored

Written By: ADH13 on 12/04/05 at 12:02 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/05 at 12:13 am

I can't even remember the object of the E.T. game.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/04/05 at 12:16 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Skippy on 12/04/05 at 12:32 am

Quote from: Odyssey on Today at 01:02:24 AM
I can't even remember the object of the E.T. game.  Whenever I try to remember, I end up with the "Haunted House" game in my head.  I really really wanted Pole Position for my Atari but I never did get it.

Yeah, Pole Position was o.k. It got interesting about lap 4. You should get a good emulator and download the .BIN file so you can play it on the P.C. I still have the 2600 and Pole Position is in my colection. Some other good games were Enduro, Night Driver, Warlords, Defender, Pitfall, and River Raid.

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/05 at 12:51 am

Yeah, Pole Position was o.k. It got interesting about lap 4. You should get a good emulator and download the .BIN file so you can play it on the P.C. I still have the 2600 and Pole Position is in my colection. Some other good games were Enduro, Night Driver, Warlords, Defender, Pitfall, and River Raid.

I really liked Enduro.  It was often hard on the eyes, as the cars moved so fast, if you blinked, you could get hit by another car LOL

The BEST Atari game was 'Food Fight' for the Atari 7800.  You had to get the kid to the ice cream cone before it melts.  Chefs would get in your way, and you had to throw food at them.  If you made really tricky moves, and got to the cone, often times, you'd get an Instant Replay  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 4:53 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/05 at 7:15 pm

Someone here who remembers "Food Fight!" That also started as an arcade game...

It was alot more challenging in the arcade

Written By: whistledog on 11/18/09 at 3:45 pm

I just picked up an Adam Home Computer System for $5 at a March of Dimes thrift shop.  It came with the printer, Coleco unit, 2 regular controlers, 2 Super Action Controllers and a keyboard.  I was all ready to play it, but it didn't come with the AC to plug into the wall.

Oh well.  Getting the Super Action Controllers made it worth it alone.  I have a regular Coleco.  I can just play that.  All I need now is to be able to find the add on unit to be able to play Atari 2600 games

Written By: karen on 11/19/09 at 1:12 pm

Is it just a standard jack socket?  You can pick up AC leads from somwehre like Best Buy

Written By: whistledog on 11/19/09 at 7:24 pm

Is it just a standard jack socket?  You can pick up AC leads from somwehre like Best Buy

Unfortunately no.  It's a special one that was made specifically for the Coleco.  Looks like my flea market and thrift shop search will continue

Check for new replies or respond here...