inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Stanley Band

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/05 at 11:06 pm

Does anyone remember the Michael Stanley Band?

Subject: Re: Michael Stanley Band

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/01/05 at 10:53 am

Yeah, I only recently (on a complete whim - having never heard of him at all) got the You Can't Fight Fashion album as one of many 99 cent tapes at a used CD store I commonly go to.

I didn't regret it - not sure how representative that album is of his general sound, but it was like a great R&B/hard rock/pop mix with what sounds like two different vocalists.

Some of the songs sound like Toto, while some sound like 38 Special or Springsteen. My fave is "Just Give Me Tonight" - pop/rock don't get any better! "The Damage is Done" and "How Can You Call it Love" are cool ballady type pop songs. "Hard Time" and "Fire in the Hole" are on the bluesier side.

Great album. How did it not become a big hit in its day? ;)

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/05 at 3:23 pm

Yeah, I only recently (on a complete whim - having never heard of him at all) got the You Can't Fight Fashion album as one of many 99 cent tapes at a used CD store I commonly go to.

I didn't regret it - not sure how representative that album is of his general sound, but it was like a great R&B/hard rock/pop mix with what sounds like two different vocalists.

Some of the songs sound like Toto, while some sound like 38 Special or Springsteen. My fave is "Just Give Me Tonight" - pop/rock don't get any better! "The Damage is Done" and "How Can You Call it Love" are cool ballady type pop songs. "Hard Time" and "Fire in the Hole" are on the bluesier side.

Great album. How did it not become a big hit in its day? ;)

Apparently over the years, the 'You Can't Fight Fashion' album has increased in popularity over the years due to the fact the hit "My Town" has pretty much become a staple at Cleveland Indians Baseball games  :)

Subject: Boy do I ever remember them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: wildbill24 on 12/01/05 at 6:55 pm

In late 1981 I was dating the girl who is now my wife. Everytime I would pull up in front of her house she would have the song "Falling in Love Again" blasting out her bedroom window from her old console stereo! After 22 years of marriage(Dec 2) and two wonderful kids, we still enjoy listening to that old song!

Man I am glad I found this message board!!!

Written By: ktelqueen on 12/01/05 at 8:59 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/05 at 9:04 pm

hey,J..i'm going with Falling In Love Again

You don't remember He Can't Love You?  It appeared on THIS 1981 album  :)

Written By: Class of 84 on 12/08/05 at 10:35 pm

Growing up in central Ohio, we heard them a lot,since they were the "local boys do good" group. Their hits got a lot of air play in the 80's in these parts. I believe the bass player who helped form the band got his start with Christian rocker Phil Keaggy & Glass Harp from the Youngstown, Oh area.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/11/05 at 6:37 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 12/13/05 at 10:33 am

Yes I grew up in NE Ohio and have been listening to them forever.  They were a great straight ahead rock n' roll band, sort of like Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band but had a more of a refined smoother sound.  In fact Clarence Clemons plays sax on a few of their songs.  Too bad they were always overlooked by the rest of the world.  When I want to get in a good mood "She Cant Love You" is always a good choice.

Does anyone know if he is still a DJ on WNCX in Cleveland?  I always thought he was a great DJ.  Ive been living in Denver for the last 10 years and cant listen to it  :(

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 1:44 pm

Yes I grew up in NE Ohio and have been listening to them forever.  They were a great straight ahead rock n' roll band, sort of like Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band but had a more of a refined smoother sound.  In fact Clarence Clemons plays sax on a few of their songs.  Too bad they were always overlooked by the rest of the world.  When I want to get in a good mood "She Cant Love You" is always a good choice.

Does anyone know if he is still a DJ on WNCX in Cleveland?  I always thought he was a great DJ.  Ive been living in Denver for the last 10 years and cant listen to it  :(

Last I heard, he was still a DJ in Cleveland

Check for new replies or respond here...