inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thriller vs. Purple Rain

Written By: Zoso on 12/05/05 at 1:42 am

IMO, these were the two biggest albums of the 1980s. Michael Jackson and Prince were the two biggest male artists, and there was so much rivalry between the two. Actually, there wasn't but the media made up their own little MJ/Prince scandals. Actually, I remember reading once that Prince and MJ played ping pong together. Anyway, I was just wondering, to end the immortal dispute, which album is better out of Thriller and Purple Rain in your opinion?

Thriller
By Michael Jackson

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000025RI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tracklist
1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (#5 Pop Singles Chart; #5 Black Singles Chart)
2. Baby Be Mine
3. The Girl Is Mine (#2 Pop Singles Chart; #1 Black Singles Chart)
4. Thriller (#4 Pop Singles Chart; #3 Black Singles Chart)
5. Beat It (#1 Pop Singles Chart; #1 Black Singles Chart; #14 Hot Rock Tracks)
6. Billie Jean (#1 Pop Singles Chart; #1 Black Singles Chart)
7. Human Nature (#7 Pop Singles Chart; #27 Black Singles Chart)
8. Pretty Young Thing (#10 Pop Singles Chart; #46 Black Singles Chart)
9. The Lady In My Life

Purple Rain
By Prince

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002L68.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tracklist

1. Let's Go Crazy (US #1, UK #7)
2. Take Me With U (US #25)
3. The Beautiful Ones
4. Computer Blue
5. Darling Nikki
6. When Doves Cry (US #1, UK #6)
7. I Would Die 4 U (US #8, UK #58)
8. Baby I'm A Star
9. Purple Rain (US #2, UK #8)

Funny "Simpsons" quote...
Homer - PURPLE RAIN!
Little Richard - Shuddup!
Homer - (giggles) Michael Jackson just told me to shut up

Subject: Re: Thriller vs. Purple Rain

Written By: woops on 12/05/05 at 1:54 am

Both, though I select "Thriller"

Written By: ADH13 on 12/05/05 at 1:54 am

I chose Thriller.  I never cared much for Prince.

Written By: ktelqueen on 12/05/05 at 1:58 am

Purple Rain was good but Thriller was great. :)

Written By: AFTERSHOCK on 12/05/05 at 4:52 am

I used to enjoy both albums, but I have long since given away my copy of Thriller, whereas I have recently purchased the remastered Purple Rain. Yeah, it's got that goddamn annoying song with Appolonia, but "When Doves Cry" and the guitar solo in "Purple Rain" still hold up as high water marks in pop music. Not much on Thriller keeps my interest anymore, but that's possibly because every damn nightclub in Vegas still plays it every damn night.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 12/05/05 at 6:04 am

Thriller

Written By: Zoso on 12/05/05 at 6:28 am

I used to enjoy both albums, but I have long since given away my copy of Thriller, whereas I have recently purchased the remastered Purple Rain. Yeah, it's got that goddamn annoying song with Appolonia, but "When Doves Cry" and the guitar solo in "Purple Rain" still hold up as high water marks in pop music. Not much on Thriller keeps my interest anymore, but that's possibly because every damn nightclub in Vegas still plays it every damn night.

I agree. Thriller is an awesome album, but it is overplayed. That why I like to listen to Michael Jackson's more recent album (Dangerous, HIStory, Invincible), because I've heard Thriller too many times. I still good to listen to every now and again though. I find that Billie Jean and Thriller get annoying after the 100000000th you've played it on your CD player, or MP3 player or whatever you got... but when you see the Thriller video on VH1 or see Michael performing Billie Jean on stage, they sound great and it's like the first time you ever heard them.

Written By: whistledog on 12/05/05 at 10:35 am

Thriller.  I didn't like Purple Rain.  I didn't really like PRince all that much, with the exception of 1999

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/05/05 at 10:39 am

Both were great, but I picked Thriller. It was hard to select these two great albums.

Written By: Carl on 12/05/05 at 11:41 am

Thriller is the best!

I liked Prince as well, Purple Rain was okay, I liked the soundtrack but didn't care much for the film honestly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/05 at 11:49 am

Definitely Thriller

Written By: vinyl lover on 12/05/05 at 11:53 am

i chose purple rain...darling nikki and the beautiful ones are my two favorite songs from prince..

Written By: Satish on 12/05/05 at 12:53 pm

Oh, it's definitely Purple Rain. To me, Prince is probably the greatest musical genius of the past 100 years. That album is a masterpiece.

I don't really like Michael Jackson. His high pitched voice is annoying, and his lyrics are just SO cheezy.

Written By: Southern Image on 12/05/05 at 1:13 pm

Thriller

Written By: AFTERSHOCK on 12/05/05 at 4:08 pm

Oh, it's definitely Purple Rain. That album is a masterpiece.

I don't really like Michael Jackson. His high pitched voice is annoying, and his lyrics are just SO cheezy.

Agreed on all fronts.

Written By: Zoso on 12/05/05 at 7:58 pm

Oh, it's definitely Purple Rain. To me, Prince is probably the greatest musical genius of the past 100 years. That album is a masterpiece.

I guess he was still a kid when he made Thriller. His voice hadn't matured yet, neither had his songwriting. But even when he was a kid, some of the songs he wrote like "This Place Hotel" and "Billie Jean" were far from cheesy. But I guess it wasn't really until Dangerous that he matured as a vocalist and songwriter. Who Is It, Give in to Me and Will You be There were the peak of his genius.

Written By: banglebabe on 12/05/05 at 8:00 pm

I have both. But to me, "Thriller" just sounds so dated. Maybe it's the cheesy production.

However, the edgier guitars in "Purple Rain" still hold up. The song "Purple Rain" is just so frickin' sexy. And the track "When doves cry" is the closest thing to a perfect pop song you can get.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/05/05 at 8:16 pm

Purple Rain, the album AND the movie. Thriller is sooooo overplayed it's played out. I loved Prince back then, and his 80's stuff still sounds cool today. I have to wonder if Prince was in some way 'before his time'.

Written By: Zoso on 12/05/05 at 9:17 pm

Purple Rain had some awesome stuff on it. I love how some songs work into each other (Computer Blues & Darling Nikki). I'd say the best song by far is Computer Blue. I love that song to death. Purple Rain was genius. But Thriller was magic. Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones made some magic on that album. I disagree that When Doves Cry is the perfect pop song, far from it, it has no bass, it's a way out indie-type song. IMO, Billie Jean is the perfect song. Ever since Billie Jean, that style has been copied so much. Billie Jean live is also so much better than the album version. There's songs like Human Nature, that are so beautiful. Michael's vocals on Lady In My Life are off the hook. I remember hearing an interview with Quincy Jones and he said he told Michael to beg, and he did and the end product was perfect. Hearing "little Michael" singing "Ooh Girl let me give you one", is mindblowing. Then Beat It was the ultimate rock/pop crossover song. Thriller was the perfect record. Ever wonder why it is still played in nightclubs to this day. Alot of people ar saying how Thriller is overplayed. Ever wonder why? Thriller was a great record. It's musical genius, it's cultural impact. Everything about it was perfect.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 12/05/05 at 10:10 pm

THRILLER  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...