inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hoodoo Gurus (80s)

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 12/05/05 at 8:49 am

What is your favourite 80s song, by those great Aussie rockers the Hoodoo Gurus? My choice is "Like Wow Wipeout !" 8)

Subject: Re: Hoodoo Gurus (80s)

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/05/05 at 9:20 am

What is your favourite 80s song, by those great Aussie rockers the Hoodoo Gurus? My choice is "Like Wow Wipeout !" 8)

I thought I was the only person whom heard of these guys.(I'm sure that I'm in a small minority Stateside that has anyway; here in western New York, were about an hour or so from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Their radio stations played some good alternative and  more non-mainstream and world wide sourced music that anything Stateside)
Never got alot of Hoodoo stuff- but the stuff I had sure was similar in sound to Tragically Hip, only it came first!  I remember only one H.G. song well- "Come Anytime" 

Written By: whistledog on 12/05/05 at 10:34 am

The only one I actually know is I Want You Back which I only just heard a few months ago.  The cover version by Simon F was a big hit here in Canada back in the day

Written By: The Smurf on 12/05/05 at 2:13 pm

Hoodoo Gurus ! What a great band ! At the moment, i'm listening to "my girl"... and i just love it since ages !!!! Great tune ! :D

Written By: The_Plague on 12/06/05 at 4:56 am

My Girl

good to see the fellas get some recognition.
They actually done a revamp of "Whats My Scene?" to go with an NRL campaign, the retitle was "THats my team" and was a minin hit once more.  ;D

Oddly enough, I actually have a fair few video clips from these guys in their hey-day, due to my constant taping of Rage (a music show we have here in australia) for many years.
I mainly taped 80's songs and other songs of my liking.
I dont know how many minutes the whole collection of the taped clips would run for, but if you wanted to watch them all, even fast forwarding through the unliked ones, you best set aside a week.
Unfortunately I never labelled them well, as a result I no longer know what videos are on what tape anymore, barring a few, I'll sort it out and catalogue them when I have a few spare months.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 12/06/05 at 7:13 am

My Girl

good to see the fellas get some recognition.
They actually done a revamp of "Whats My Scene?" to go with an NRL campaign, the retitle was "THats my team" and was a minin hit once more.

Written By: holicman on 12/06/05 at 8:18 am

Whats My Scene is a kick ass song !!!!!!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/10/05 at 12:39 pm

I love all their albums but I picked My Girl cos it was the one that first got my attention in 1984.  Have seen them in concert tonnes of times. Always a great gig.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 12/17/05 at 7:05 am

I would normally think of Like Wow Wipeout first, but overall, My Girl probably has a more poignant and lasting effect.

In a similar vein (but not on the list) is Death Defying. That lyrical guitar line is almost Byrds-like.

Check for new replies or respond here...